The Student Room Group

Which BA in Graphic Design should I choose ?!?!

Hi everyone... this is my first time doing this so sorry if I have done stuff wrong...

Basically I have been offered places at Central St Martins, Falmouth and Reading, and am waiting to hear back from Brighton (all for BA Graphic Design/communication. So happy that I have got into these Uni's but I have no idea where I should go... Heard great things about St Martins, and obviously it has the advantage of an worldwide recognised reputation, but have also heard it rests on its rep a bit. Loved falmouth when I went down there and it seems like they would have more time for me there (feel more like a community too which I like), but I can't seem to see past St Martins reputation even though I feel I may be neglected slightly (as its such a massive course). Also, I am coming straight from my A-Levels so i'm a bit nervous that others will be older and that having done a foundation year.

Would apriciate it so much if anyone has an opinion on my situation or experience at ANY of the places I have mentioned...

Cheers people... :smile: x
Reply 1
Original post by sedgster1213
Hi everyone... this is my first time doing this so sorry if I have done stuff wrong...Basically I have been offered places at Central St Martins, Falmouth and Reading, and am waiting to hear back from Brighton (all for BA Graphic Design/communication. So happy that I have got into these Uni's but I have no idea where I should go... Heard great things about St Martins, and obviously it has the advantage of an worldwide recognised reputation, but have also heard it rests on its rep a bit. Loved falmouth when I went down there and it seems like they would have more time for me there (feel more like a community too which I like), but I can't seem to see past St Martins reputation even though I feel I may be neglected slightly (as its such a massive course). Also, I am coming straight from my A-Levels so i'm a bit nervous that others will be older and that having done a foundation year. Would apriciate it so much if anyone has an opinion on my situation or experience at ANY of the places I have mentioned...Cheers people... :smile: x

Hi Sedgster, I don't usually depart advice on TSR anymore regarding universities for art and design mainly because I've emigrated to the US and probably have a slightly outdated perception, coupled with my lack of incentive in general. Nonetheless, I'll be happy to offer some advice that will hopefully help you in some way, but you definitely shouldn't regard it as definitive.

I think the allure of CSM is something we all factor into our decision when choosing, myself included, and having now studied there, your fears that it relies on its reputation definitely has some bearing but is only partly true. On the one hand, the student to tutor ratio is large and accordingly there is a lack of individual instruction and guidance, resulting in plenty of independent learning which is not particularly ideal. On the other hand, its reputation tends to attracts a highly motivated, talented and diverse pool of students from all over the world (quite literally) that undoubtably provides an inspiring and stimulating environment to work in (but this, I stress, is not always the case I'm sure, just drawing from my experience), coupled with links to industry that the other universities may not necessarily have. With its central London location and many alumni from the course working, I found that they tend to return in order to offer work opportunities and to serve as guest tutors.

I can't really offer a large insight into the other universities, only that I've heard very good things about Brighton. It's also a multifaceted university that doesn't just offer art and design, meaning there's more variety, which may appeal to you. CSM, and by extension UAL as a whole, is solely arts focused, which has its pros and cons. You might prefer to meet other people who are studying different subjects entirely. I can't say much for Falmouth either, only that it's important to ensure that the final degree show is based in London, where the wide majority of creative employers reside and are likely to visit. Falmouth as an area is leafy and a huge contrast from the hustle and bustle of the capital, so in terms of exposure, it's not remotely comparable.

Hope this has helped in some way. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your response... Really helpful :smile: !!!
Reply 3
After completing a summer school course in Graphic Design at CSM, I realised that the way that they teach was not in close contact with any of the students.
And that students that were on the huge course told me that they hardly saw the tutors and that they'd be given a brief with no guidance and were to return 6 weeks later with a finished project.
I asked myself if it was worth the £3000+ a year for no guidance whatsoever, isn't the personal experience of learning more about a subject you are passionate about worth more than just the reputation? Which is something they base themselves on heavily.
I applied and got an unconditional offer, however I turned them down and now I'm studying at De Montfort University in Leicester, which has the wide-ranging, fully supportive course I would expect from a university offering Graphic Design as a subject.
Reply 4
I was speaking to a former CSM graduate (from around 2001ish) who now runs a very successful studio. I don't want to say exactly who or link to their site, because I assume this was said to me off the record. He said they had gone back to the last few degree shows and been disappointed with the work on show. When I asked who they look to when hiring, he actually (coincidentally) said that they had been very impressed with Brighton recently, and take a lot of graduates from there.

A tutor on a different course said, in these words, that 'it still thinks it's good, but hasn't proved it in a long time.'
This is from someone that sings the praises of other courses around the country.

Having spoken to people, it seems that CSM really doesn't have the great reputation in the industry that it does have outside of it. People off the street will probably know where you study, but it seems that to those that matter it has the reputation of trading off its name and the subsequent talent it attracts, rather than actual merit.
hi,
I got in at Reading. It seemed pretty bad there. Don't bother when you have better places
How the hell did you get in at Brighton without a foundation year? *bows* I got told that thats impossible by the lecturers there so I didn't bither applying!
Im currently choosing between Bournemouth Arts college, Winchester Arts college and Bath spa. Not sure where to go :/ Advice would be amazing and traded for cookies

*edit- miss read the bit about brighton. let me know if you get in. *
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi, I'm applying for graphic design too!!! I also have Falmouth as one of my top choices aswell as Chelsea, I really loved Falmouth though looks like a real good course! Thinking of accepting even though I live miles away think it might be worth it! I'm doing the CCW art foundation so as part of UAL I know that CSM is only for people who are really independant and if you're coming straight from a levels I wouldn't go there because of tutor time.
I also got offers as LCC, Camberwell, Norwich but think Falmouth might be the one!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
All of them have a very good reputation! I have a friend studying graphic design at CSM and they seem to really enjoy it, more than anything due to the location and the very international student body, working with people from all over the world can be pretty inspiring and interesting no doubt. I think that the way it's taught also helps although the way it is taught I don't think would be for everybody.
I can't comment on it in too much detail, I just know a bit about the course due to my friend being there.
But if you want to know anything specific about the course as it is now, i'll try and help
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by dull_brilliance
hi,
I got in at Reading. It seemed pretty bad there. Don't bother when you have better places
How the hell did you get in at Brighton without a foundation year? *bows* I got told that thats impossible by the lecturers there so I didn't bither applying!
Im currently choosing between Bournemouth Arts college, Winchester Arts college and Bath spa. Not sure where to go :/ Advice would be amazing and traded for cookies

*edit- miss read the bit about brighton. let me know if you get in. *

I TOTALLY GOT IN ! so i got places at St Martins - Unconditional, Brighton - Unconditional, Falmouth - 2 C's, Reading - 3 B's...

What do you think I should do ?!??!!
Original post by sedgster1213
I TOTALLY GOT IN ! so i got places at St Martins - Unconditional, Brighton - Unconditional, Falmouth - 2 C's, Reading - 3 B's...

What do you think I should do ?!??!!

Congratulations!! Your work must be awesome. I guess I would advise you ti go with your gut instinct. Im still choosing so I too know it's difficult. I think im going to go to Bournemouth because thats the place that I thought was right right from the start.
Good luck wherever you go!

Quick Reply

Latest