The Student Room Group

Same sex schools- do you like them better than mixed schools?

I was just wondering what your opinions were. Personally I don't like them, I go to an all girl school and find it very bitchy sometimes. Also, the girls tend to be so hysterical and go crazy whenever they see boys. I think mixed schools are better based on my own experience.

Scroll to see replies

my willy tends to like all girls schools.
Original post by Bill_Gates
my willy tends to like all girls schools.

Well it's 'hard' not to :cool:
Reply 3
I think you end up as a more rounded individual if you are at a mixed sex school, since you'll have experience interacting and being friends with people of the opposite sex. You'll probably feel more comfortable around them and less apprehensive of asking someone out I reckon.
Reply 4
I really like my same-sex school, but the fact is the reasons I like it aren't because it's same-sex :smile:. I'd certainly have appreciated the chance to talk to girls a little more. I don't think it's affected me too much, but I can imagine it certainly not helping other people in my year who will be very awkward in future (I am fairly awkward, but some people really could have done with some experience prior to uni!).

Although it's important to remember that those who would benefit most from talking to the other sex are the most awkward, who may not do so if given the chance, because they're awkward.
No, I'm not gay.
I hate being in an all girls school.
My sixth form is mixed, so one of the boys went into our Chemistry room to give the teacher something. One of the year 9's that were in the class at the time whooped.
Seriously, he stuck his head around the door and all I heard was 'WHOOO!' :rofl3:
Reply 7
Original post by HellOnHighHeels
I hate being in an all girls school.
My sixth form is mixed, so one of the boys went into our Chemistry room to give the teacher something. One of the year 9's that were in the class at the time whooped.
Seriously, he stuck his head around the door and all I heard was 'WHOOO!' :rofl3:

Lol, a lot of the girls at my school do the same as well. They literally prey on all of the young male teachers - I feel so sorry for them.
I like same sex school, as well as mixed schools. I guess they both have advantages and disadvantages. I've been in a same sex school for 5 years and I think it's not that bad at all. It's crazy, it's fun in a way, but the disadvantage is you don't get to mix around other sexes that much and that might give you problems in future in you're a timid person. (btw, there are lots of homos in a same sex school and you can actually get influenced easily, not to offend anyone, but that's true.) So, for a change, I transferred to a mixed school for sixth form and I am now more open and sociable, getting more experience in dealing with the opposite sex, having different ideas of people coming from a same sex school and mixed school. I like both of them generally, but i might come to like mixed more.

But I guess, you'll just eventually adapt and like whichever school you go to =)
Reply 9
I think same sex is better. You all are just thinking about the social benefits of having a mixed school. I'm sure academically in same sex schools you'll achieve better, because you spend less time worrying about how you look and more time in working.

Although it can be mentally fatiguing when you go to an all boys school and everyone pretends to act homosexual butwhen they find out someone is actually homosexual myocardial infarctions everywhere :wink: LOOOOOL
I feel with single sex you have a larger pool to choose for for friends. And yeah you can make friends with the opposite sex, but lets be honest, the majority of friends people have are of the same sex.
Reply 11
I had the choice of going to a single sex or to a mixed school. I chose mixed because I thought i might benefit from being around the boyz (read: awkward penguin), and also because i thought the cattiness would be more concentrated in an all girls school.
Reply 12
Original post by Felchingman
You can practice buttf*cking at a same-sex school.

You can! :dancing:
Original post by Starrstruck
Lol, a lot of the girls at my school do the same as well. They literally prey on all of the young male teachers - I feel so sorry for them.

I can't say much- One of the student teachers ended up being renamed as 'Mr. Sexy', 'Mr. Sexypants' (I coined that one) and 'Fittybum'. About 6 of us would perv on him every lesson. Was good.
Reply 14
Original post by HellOnHighHeels
I can't say much- One of the student teachers ended up being renamed as 'Mr. Sexy', 'Mr. Sexypants' (I coined that one) and 'Fittybum'. About 6 of us would perv on him every lesson. Was good.

Plotting on ruining his career and any future chance of a relationship are we?
As someone who went to an all girls school - and boarded, no less! - I can vouch for their effectiveness. It's rather a relief to be separated from pressures surrounding dating and sex when you're trying to succeed academically. I'm not surprised that same sex schools tend to be better than their mixed counterparts. I think they're especially beneficial once you reach high school age.
I read a study that girls do better at same-sex schools but boys do worse
Girls can be evil - besides, boys and their childish antics *tut* are really rather entertaining, sometimes. :wink:
I go to an all girls school, and quite honestly I forget that that's not always the case - I mean, I've done courses and so on which were obviously mixed, but the idea of day to day school being mixed is just a bit foreign to me.
I think I'd get annoyed with either. Female schools are caustic and competitive and the girls are obsessed with discos and proms to 'et boys', mixed schools are even more about sexual politics and lead to increased cliqueing... basically pick your poison.

That said, I did like my school. I think you get both of these problems in either, just different concentrations.

I prefer uni though. I do Biology at RHUL so there're still slightly more females than males (biochemists, biomed, zoology, ecology and biology all share a lot of classes right now, though most girls I know do zoology or biochemistry, not biology), and everyone's grown up a bit. I think it's more an age thing than a sex thing.

Quick Reply

Latest