The Student Room Group

Is TSR home to some of Britain's most intelligent people (judging by their GCSE's)

All I see on TSR is how many A*'s people achieved, 5 seems to be a good average (but I don't know many people who got those in 'real-life'), but all I'm trying to figure out is did everyone achieve supa-dupa marks?

I took my IGCSE's last year (which I was always told were the harder ones, though some say differently)

I'm not going to say my marks, as I feel theres no real need to tell them (not that they were bad, in fact I thought they were good for someone a year young).

So I guess the question is, 'are you guys all so smart?'

I would like to see people who didn't get A*'s across the board discussing their results, and what they think attributed to them.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Studious maybe, intelligence is a difficult thing to measure. Though, some would argue being sensible enough to do enough revision signifies intelligence.
To be honest, it makes me feel like crap reading other people's GCSE results.

AABBBBCCCCCC

But then I decided to work hard, and to upper myself on their level, and I'm on track for AAAB in my AS :smile:.

I kind of like the fact this is home to really clever people, because it pushes me. I wouldn't feel the same if people on TSR mostly averaged Ds would I ? haha
Reply 3
People that care enough about getting A* are more likely to be drawn to an internet forum about studentry I imagine. Plus people who get less impressive grades are less likely to tell you about it on here.
Yeah, but there's always an equal and opposite reaction.

And so we have trolls :frown:
Also, they're not necessarily intelligent.

I find that this system is a memory test combined with exam technique which can be learned in half an hour.
Original post by Miracle Day
To be honest, it makes me feel like crap reading other people's GCSE results.

AABBBBCCCCCC

But then I decided to work hard, and to upper myself on their level, and I'm on track for AAAB in my AS :smile:.

I kind of like the fact this is home to really clever people, because it pushes me. I wouldn't feel the same if people on TSR mostly averaged Ds would I ? haha

I only got 1 A...
Reply 7
I feel the same - I'm on track for A's and B's and although that sounds pretty average, everyone on TSR has done so much matter which makes me worry!
Reply 8
Yeah, basically.
Reply 9
Good GCSE's do not equal high intelligence.
Reply 10
I don't think those who are usually under performing would like to be on any forum, forums seem to attract some of those who prefer to stay in a bit more the the yobs who roam the streets ... I have never in my life seen an absolutely atrocious bit of literature on here yet... It all seems to be students who have some form of intelligence..
Good grades doesn't always mean someone is intelligence. It can also be a result of hard work or luck.
No offence to everyone, but as in my case, do you not have to be a bit of a nerd to be on an internet forum for students?? :confused:
It is a nerd site.
However, some nerds are stupid.
Watch out for them - they will, quite simply, kill you.

Don't ask how or they'll get me, for a start...

OK I'm going too far now
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey
I only got 1 A...

Congratulations :smile:
It's home to some of the most stupid people in Britain judging by some threads/posts.
Lots of people on here don't have good grades. No matter what you got/are getting, it's never going to be a bad thing to come and see what else is out there and be able to find out about courses, qualifications ect from other students :smile:

My grades..

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mimx
People that care enough about getting A* are more likely to be drawn to an internet forum about studentry I imagine. Plus people who get less impressive grades are less likely to tell you about it on here.

I agree with this 100%. At GCSE I worked hard and I got ABBBBBBBBBCD, which are alright and I did have them in my TSR profile for a while, but then took them out as I didn't feel like having them there anymore. And then I did much worse at my A Levels and I'd rather not be parading those results around :colondollar:
One B, seven C's, a D, and an E @ GCSE.

At Imperial doing a PhD now, got my masters from there last year.

Don't tell the TSR club though, they'll kick me out fo' sho'.
GCSEs aren't necessarily a measure of intelligence, but seeing is this is as internet forum dedicated to students/education/student life you are more likely to find the neeks trying to get the latest exam papers. :smartass:

But then again this is the good ol' internet so there is also the chance of meeting a troll.

Quick Reply

Latest