The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE ETHICS EXAMS 1 AND 2 B603/04 Post- Exam Discussion (15th May 2012)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OllieWolly
I said the bible isn't clear and then pretty much just listed Christian views (e.g Doctrine of Double effect - it's okay to kill them if your main aim was to stop pain and it resulted in their death)

I put a couple of sketchy views but mainly about how their personal experience and interpretation of the Bible with no clear instruction influenced them.
Original post by R.P.Everything.
Correct me if I'm wrong guys - Questions for Human Relationships.

a) What is marriage
b) Give two reasons why Christians may refuse to have sex before marriage
c) Describe a Christian response to a person who is getting divorced and remarried
d) Explain Christian views on the use of contraception
e) Divorce can never be justified

Was the e) question "Divorce is sometimes justifiable" or "Divorce is sometimes necessary"? or something, or was it "Divorce can never be justified"?. It'd be like me to read the question wrong lol. I think the rest of those questions are right though.
Yes it was Divorce is sometimes necessary?

How did you guys answer that?
yes, the word 'necessary' rings a bell, I think you are right.

(edited my original)

Ah, good :redface: . I was a little worried for a second there.

Anyway, I'm only doing the half-course so only did B603 and thought it was alright. We did Islam and the questions seemed to be straightforward enough.

And about the line ruling off thing, I think I only did it for one exam last year in year 10 and my exams were marked without any problems as far as I know.
Reply 84
Original post by metaltron

a) Define the term 'prejudice'.
b) Give two examples of racism.
c) Give three ways a Christian might respond to inequality.
d) Explain why Christians might have different opinions on the role of women.
e) "Religious people have a duty to convert others"

Was that the definite wording for c? I think I read it as 'work against' for some reason and said that they should vote for MPs who promote equality, make clear to friends/colleagues that racists/sexist jokes aren't funny & teach their kids that everyone is equal.

Would that still be okay?
Original post by tonequads
I didn't see a ruler line thing:s-smilie:. :confused:
I just checked last years paper, it doesn't say anything about ruling under questions.

Not on the question paper. It says it on the answer booklet instructions!
Reply 86
Original post by The_Soul_Patch
Yes it was Divorce is sometimes necessary?

How did you guys answer that?

I wrote no for Catholics as it is a sacrament, so cannot be dissolved , and if they remarry its adultery also there are alternatives like marriage counselling and prayer. I think I wrote about annulment.
Yes for liberals as it can be seen as the lesser of two evils for example domestic abuse .
Jesus said that divorce is acceptable if adultery is involved.
Correct me if I'm wrong guys - Questions for Human Relationships.

a) What is marriage
b) Give two reasons why Christians may refuse to have sex before marriage
c) Describe a Christian response to a person who is getting divorced and remarried
d) Explain Christian views on the use of contraception
e) Divorce is sometimes necessary

Oh and Part c) was only about remarriage; it did not mention divorce at all.

Original post by MJTravers
Was that the definite wording for c? I think I read it as 'work against' for some reason and said that they should vote for MPs who promote equality, make clear to friends/colleagues that racists/sexist jokes aren't funny & teach their kids that everyone is equal.

Would that still be okay?

It was give three ways in which Christians may work against inequality. that was the exact wording.
Reply 88
which topics were in paper 1 and which were in paper 2?
Original post by chrisy:)
well for that one i put about how christians believe that money is a gift from god so it should be used for a good way. however for some christians this is seen as temptation to have even more money. this is why they may gamble which is wrong as that money could go to the poor. some may become greedy and not follow god's example of helping the needy but more more worried about themeselves. they may put money in front of god which is wrong.
i used bible teachings like
" you cannot serve both god and money"
" there will always be poor people in the land therefore i command you to be generous towards them"

hope this answers your question :biggrin:

Whattt :'( , I thought it meant explain ways how a christian may misuse it as in talk about things which christians shouldn't do with their money :s-smilie:
Original post by GrowingNinja
Whattt :'( , I thought it meant explain ways how a christian may misuse it as in talk about things which christians shouldn't do with their money :s-smilie:

Naa the chrisy guy is right
Reply 91
give two examples of racism?
Original post by GreenLantern1

Guess I lost 6 marks, I talked about drugs and funding wars :angry: . Oh well I guess i can retake next year =/
Original post by steffan1508
what did everyone put for the 12 marker in ethics 2?? "religious people have a duty to convert other people to their religion" - or w/e it was?????

I went off on a tangent based off of the commandment "Thou shalt have no other gods before me" and how Christians have a duty to look after one another which would imply they'd feel a moral obligation to steer a person onto the path of righteousness, which I backed up with Corinthians 6:9 (Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God) which, after reading it back, sounded extremely sarcastic and obnoxious :rolleyes: I sound like a bloody **** in exams...particularly RS :tongue: I wrote more, but I can't seem to remember what, exactly. That can't be good :redface:

However, I then said other Christians do not believe this, yadda yadda yadda, we'd all meet our maker, the Almighty Lord who would deal with us....I then added my own viewpoint, in which I said that education about religion should be provided but it is not up to religious people to convert those of different religions, or those with none at all.

I sat the B603 paper in January and somehow, I ended up with 100% UMS but that was 10 times easier than the B604 exam so I don't think I'll come out with the same this time. Blergh. But then again...I'm a big fat pessimist. So maybe it wasn't as horrible as I imagined. I answered the Justice and Peace questions and the Equality ones, both on Christianity. I kind of wish I'd chosen the Media ones now as they seemed so much more simpler than both Peace/Justice and Equality.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by duper123
which topics were in paper 1 and which were in paper 2?

B603 has Human Relationships, Medical Ethics and Poverty.

B604 has Peace and Justice, Equality and Media.

Alternately, they're papers 1 and 2 if you're doing Short Course.
Reply 95
Original post by GreenLantern1

first of all just wanted to tell that im not guy :P and secondly we were supposed toexplain things christian are not supposed to do like gambling but i also thought that putting money in front of god is a form of misusing money and that christians will see it as wrong.
so dont worry because you are right , you just also needed to put why they would see it as wrong as well... i think :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending