The Student Room Group

AAB universities?

Most of the universities I have been looking at (Bristol, Warwick, Nottingham etc) all ask for AAA, some even boosting grade requirements to A*AA (damn you Nottingham).

In case I am unable able to achieve these grades, could anyone suggest any universities, that are still reputable for law, that accept AAB (not just sometimes), or perhaps even ABB. I'm really not sure how my AS's went, as I always seem to do a lot better in my exams than I do in the preceding weeks, but I cannot be sure if it'll be the case this time round.

Edit: Just to clarify, I will still be looking chiefly at universities accepting AAA, but am looking for one AAB/ABB university in case I don't do as well as expected!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Birmingham?
Original post by ATCAdam
Birmingham?

I thought Birmingham was AAA?
Reply 3
Kent accepted me with my grades so you should have a good chance.
Try Sheffield, Kent, Northumbria, Edinburgh, and Keele.
Reply 5
When I applied last year I think the only one I could find that looked reputable and accepted AAB was UEA.
Exeter does AAA-AAB grades. My two friends who applied there for law got the lower grade requirement because they'd done well at GCSE/had good PSs. It's worth a try? Best of luck!
Kent and Reading are really good options because they offer AAB and Reading actually has better rates of graduates going into work than most other universities.
Edinburgh is a good choice at BBB but be aware that if you're English and want to study English law and become a lawyer in England, Edinburgh teaches Scottish law and therefore when you graduate, you'll have to do the conversion course to make it an English law degree. :smile:
Original post by Defragmentation
I thought Birmingham was AAA?

Birmingham is AAA or A*AB
Reply 9
Just don't do law. Do another subject you like...English, History etc...which is less competitive and where you'll end up at a better university.

Law firms don't care about the degree you do; 50% of the intake are non law students. Many if not most law students end up not becoming lawyers anyway. Employers don't really have tiers with universities as long as it's an 'old' university - these days, pretty much anything Russell Group.

Trust me, it is better to go to a nice university with a solid reputation, with a good careers service than to end up at somewhere less well-known like Reading. Law is also a very technical and often boring degree - many people who do it do not end up liking it; very few people I knew were passionate about it.

I'll say it one more time; DON'T DO LAW if you have AAB.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Hull? Their offer is ABB.
Original post by Ladyliesel
Try Sheffield, Kent, Northumbria, Edinburgh, and Keele.

Edinburgh is almost certainly AAA

I agree with the above post. Don't settle for a lower ranked law degree. Go for a History/English degree at a top 20 uni
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Northumbria, Hull and Sheffield Hallam are all ABB (or the equivalent in points) some one mentioned Sheffield but the University of is AAA... you could get some prospectuses or check the requirements online? :smile:
Reply 13
Edinburgh is AAA but contextual factors can bring it down to BBB.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees?id=0,23&cw_xml=subject.php

did you even read your own link?

"This is a high-demand subject area. To be considered for an offer, applicants will need, or be predicted to achieve, at least AAAA (Highers) or AAA (A Levels with a strong set of GCSE A* grades) unless one or more contextual factors applies. Conditional offers will be made in the range of BBBB–AAAA (Highers), BBB–AAA (A Levels) or 34–42 (IB), and are likely to be in the higher range for those to whom contextual factors do not apply. In recent years 22% of undergraduate applicants to Law have received an offer"

They want AAA basically and if there are certain circumstances they will allow less than AAA but above BBB
Original post by Rancorous
Just don't do law. Do another subject you like...English, History etc...which is less competitive and where you'll end up at a better university.

Law firms don't care about the degree you do; 50% of the intake are non law students. Many if not most law students end up not becoming lawyers anyway. Employers don't really have tiers with universities as long as it's an 'old' university - these days, pretty much anything Russell Group.

Trust me, it is better to go to a nice university with a solid reputation, with a good careers service than to end up at somewhere less well-known like Reading. Law is also a very technical and often boring degree - many people who do it do not end up liking it; very few people I knew were passionate about it.

I'll say it one more time; DON'T DO LAW if you have AAB.

Reading has a sound rep. It is 1994 group also.

Otherwise I agree with everything you said.
Original post by bestofyou
Reading has a sound rep. It is 1994 group also.

Otherwise I agree with everything you said.

I don't mean to put Reading down, it is actually an ok uni and has a good RAE rating for law, so maybe it wasn't the best example...but it isn't considered as good as any university in the Russell Group at which the OP may have a realistic shot. And this is a bit controversial but with the exceptions of a couple of universities like Bath, given recent defections, the Russell Group is to me more and more looking like the Ivy League of good universities in this country.
Reply 18
Thanks guys, have repped posts I have found particularly useful!

Original post by Rancorous
I don't mean to put Reading down, it is actually an ok uni and has a good RAE rating for law, so maybe it wasn't the best example...but it isn't considered as good as any university in the Russell Group at which the OP may have a realistic shot. And this is a bit controversial but with the exceptions of a couple of universities like Bath, given recent defections, the Russell Group is to me more and more looking like the Ivy League of good universities in this country.

I agree with you completely, I would be quite unhappy going to a non-russell group university. I believe I am on track for AAA, but if my AS results suggest otherwise, I will more than likely begin looking at other courses. However, would you still suggest I steer clear of a law degree if I theoretically achieve AAB, but am predicted AAA?
sheffield for a lot of courses is aab, my offer from nottingham was aab but depends what course your doing!

Quick Reply

Latest