The Student Room Group

Did anyone else get an audition for the 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony? (Part 2)

Scroll to see replies

Not had my Rio handover confirmation email yet and that's worrying me. :frown: I keep replaying the voicemail message to reassure myself I didn't dream it and I do definitely have a place!

So sorry to hear about the TSRites who got 'reserve' emails for the Handover instead of the places they were hoping for. What roles were you all going for? I know from the percussionist side, it's really hard to tell what exactly they were looking for... I know people who've been offered places who (without wanting to sound bitchy) I'm surprised at because I know they struggled in the audition, and people who are fantastic and enthusiastic sambistas who've been put on the reserve list.

Still, when the rehearsal schedule is released I think there will be some drop-off of numbers because it's been suggested weekly rehearsals will be during the daytime instead of the evening as expected, so hope is not lost yet!
Reply 141
For those still ticket hunting, it seems they have released some of the resale tickets or some of the contingency ones. I managed to get another few category C/D for hockey and basketball during first week mainly to be able to spend more time in the Park!
Original post by RocKeRG
Someone tapped me on the shoulder last night and said she was someone's Mum after pointing at my laces and running off! Who was that? Sorry for not clocking you properly!

It was me! I was propping last night and tonight - both awesome, and the stadium is amazing. You were all great last night!:clap2:
Reply 143
Original post by Dancersmum
It was me! I was propping last night and tonight - both awesome, and the stadium is amazing. You were all great last night!:clap2:

Ah excellent!! Now I know who to seee next time I break a stick! :colondollar:
Reply 144
36 days to go - figured we were overdue a sporty one!

Patrick_White-Open-Number_36.jpg
If anyone has a 1.30 start this Sunday, ropey and I were talking of going for a cheeky pre rehearsal mojito in Westfield if anyone fancies it.
Reply 146
Original post by Mandy_Panda
If anyone has a 1.30 start this Sunday, ropey and I were talking of going for a cheeky pre rehearsal mojito in Westfield if anyone fancies it.

We finish then, so some of us are going for a few cheeky beers and pizza :smile:
Reply 147
How many of us are going on Sunday after rehearsal for beer and Pizza and where are we meeting? I think it would be good to meet at a promiment point as quite a few of us dont know everyones face, what do you think?
Reply 148
Original post by Dancerwoman
Noticed that. I will not be joining it though as it's too risky in terms of identities etc. The very reason why I do not join any of the FB groups covering this very subject.

I'm not sure what the risk is, as we will know peoples identites when we meet and the outside world (if they can access the group) will only be able to see as much as your fb privacy settings allow .. or am i missing soemthing ... quite possible with me lol
Reply 149
Original post by OneAndOnlyEmmaW
nope no understudy, there version of a reserve. Dont get to go to rehersals till a space becomes avaliable

Dont give up hope Emma, there is still a chance that people wont be able to make the commitment and drop out which i would have thought is quite likley :smile:
Original post by Terpsikhore
Not had my Rio handover confirmation email yet and that's worrying me. :frown: I keep replaying the voicemail message to reassure myself I didn't dream it and I do definitely have a place!

So sorry to hear about the TSRites who got 'reserve' emails for the Handover instead of the places they were hoping for. What roles were you all going for? I know from the percussionist side, it's really hard to tell what exactly they were looking for... I know people who've been offered places who (without wanting to sound bitchy) I'm surprised at because I know they struggled in the audition, and people who are fantastic and enthusiastic sambistas who've been put on the reserve list.

Still, when the rehearsal schedule is released I think there will be some drop-off of numbers because it's been suggested weekly rehearsals will be during the daytime instead of the evening as expected, so hope is not lost yet!

I've not had any Rio confirmation email yet either. But they rang me up to sort out some accreditation issues and I asked the woman whether she could tell me anything or what it showed on the list and she said it showed I was in. So not hearing anything may not be bad news - I think my rehearsal availability in July may have ruled me out for the Olympic Closing.
Reply 151
Heard this on the radio the other day - written for the Olympics:

http://www.winningwordspoetry.com/poems/sport/running-rhymes/spark-catchers/

I just love it.
Reply 152
Thanks for the heads up Dancerwoman! I can't believe we've run out of room on the old thread! Haha! wow!
Reply 153
Thanks for the message Dancerwoman! I was a bit thrown but glad everything is continuing as normal on the new thread!

First rehearsal in the stadium last night - it was amazing! I absolutely love the stadium, think the architect has done an amazing job, and it was so exciting rehearsing there - all seems so much more real now!
Original post by RocKeRG
Ah excellent!! Now I know who to seee next time I break a stick! :colondollar:

Mmm, drumstick abuse. It's a real issue.
Reply 155
Original post by JessykarH
I was getting really excited with us nearly reaching the 10,000th post mark! I'll now have something to tell my new performing friends about.

Marshalls had the very first rehearsal in the actual stadium last night, It was amazing! =] Coming out of the VOMs for the first time was an amazing feeling, especially with the music pumping out of the speakers! =]

They provide food for you at the stadium as you're not allowed to take your own (looks like i won't be making anymore cake!) You get sandwiches, Pringles, Nutri grain and a apple! The sandwiches are things like salmon, Chicken, egg, tuna etc..... The smoking area is right outside the stadium so a 30second walk from your seat!

the marshalling was great although for me i actually came out of the same vom as my drumming so did not get to move about inside the stadium. our line actually went the wrong way and ended up in the middle when we should have been on the east side, great fun though. looking forward to Sunday.
Reply 156
Not sure if anyone is looking for accomodation near the stadium, but there is a new travelodge (Excel) opened 14 mins DLR ride away with good prices, I have just booked 22 Jul for £29 and 23, 24, 25 & 26 for £35.75 per night.

Hope this is of some help to someone. There are cheaper nights available on other dates, but I am booked in elsewhere for those dates.

If you are searching for nights, check indvidual nights as if you search for example 22 and 23 Jul, it will come up at the more expensive of the two. The get those rates, i had to make two bookings, one for 22 and one for the other nights.

The excel Travelodge doesn’t always show up on their search thing as it is brand new so here is a link to it http://www.travelodge.co.uk/hotels/553/London-Excel-hotel
Reply 157

This made me laugh out loud :smile: I have sticks of the green variety which are holding out nicely at the moment thank you! RockerG having seen ur drumming style you had better watch yours doesn't end up in the queens lap during our 7+ passes!! :wink:
Reply 158
Also got the Rio reserve email but as we're both now in Opening ceremonies am not too disappointed. Very much got the feeling that looks played a big part in the initial casting judging by the fuss our dance leader was making of some people's good looks and how great they were going to look in the costumes. I think I was concentrating too much to smile alot! The email does suggest there will be plenty more casting in the next few weeks and at my audition they suggested most people would be in, in some shape or form. Lets keep fingers crossed for the first 'deserve' to be cast!

On a separate note, long but exciting rehearsal last night. It is hard to tell how it looks when you're in the midst of it, but watching a couple of bits from the stands I really thought it looked awesome. Finished off the night at Wahaca (Mandy you were missed) and looking forwards to Sunday.

Today is cake making day at work. We've ambitiously made the Olympic swimming pool, complete with blue jelly, sweetie bracelet lanes and white choc diving boards. No Tom Daley.
Reply 159

It's a clever idea, but maybe not quite robust enough for 6 weeks of rehearsals..

Quick Reply

Latest