The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

What grades for an unconditional from Edinburgh?

I've just finished my Highers and feels like I probably got AAAAB in English, Chemistry, Modern Studies, Physics and Maths respectively. Thinking about doing Biochemistry at Edinburgh - could I realistically get an unconditional with four A's? Thanks!
Reply 1
As far as I understand the scottish system, you don't need advanced highers for Edinburgh (as I am sure you are aware). Them grades look more than suitable.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees?id=C700&cw_xml=degree.php
(edited 11 years ago)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
I think the system is that you need to meet the conditions for highers and usually they give you conditions to meet at advanced higher next year.

However, the more a's you get, the more chance of you getting an unconditional.

I was really wondering if any past applicants have had an unconditional with four a's or know of anyone who has! :smile:
Reply 3
Probably best to e-mail the admissions office.
Reply 4
You did almost exactly the same subject as I did last year haha!
I applied for English Lit. so not sure what it is like for Biochemistry.. but I would imagine that with 4As and a B and a good personal statement than you would get an unconditional :smile:
Reply 5
It is likely that you would receive an unconditional with AAAAB and a good personal statement. The entry requirements for all Biological Sciences courses are as follows:

SQA Highers: AAAA - ABBB or more if two sittings, to include two from Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics. Standard Grade Biology, Mathematics and Chemistry at Grade 2. Qualified applicants are advised to take Biology and Chemistry at Advanced Higher level where possible

I know people who received unconditionals for Biological Sciences courses including Biochemistry with AAABC in their Highers, however it would also depend on how much competition there is for the course the year you are applying.
Reply 6
I got a conditional with those grades for Chemistry this year but I don't think Biochemistry has the same emphasis on Maths so I think you probably could depending on what the course requirements are for Biology.
One of my friends got AAAAB at their highers and got an unconditional to Biochemisty, the other got AAABB and recieved a conditional of one B at Adv H. The likelihood is that you will get an unconditional but there are other factors like personal statements and if the demand is up on last year etc. Also if you go to a state school Edinburgh is usually kinder with their requirements but not sure if it applies to you. Anyway, good luck! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by daviddd!1994
One of my friends got AAAAB at their highers and got an unconditional to Biochemisty, the other got AAABB and recieved a conditional of one B at Adv H. The likelihood is that you will get an unconditional but there are other factors like personal statements and if the demand is up on last year etc. Also if you go to a state school Edinburgh is usually kinder with their requirements but not sure if it applies to you. Anyway, good luck! :smile:

Thanks a lot man, that's good to know! Yeah I go to a state school in fife so that might help..
Reply 9
If you do get an offer (which is quite likely considering your excellent grades) you should be really proud as the University Edinburgh is one of the best in the UK. Well done for the exam success and bet of luck for your application.

By the way, why did you choose Edinburgh in particular?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 10
Original post by AviG123
If you do get an offer (which is quite likely considering your excellent grades) you should be really proud as the University Edinburgh is one of the best in the UK. Well done for the exam success and bet of luck for your application.

By the way, why did you choose Edinburgh in particular?

Thanks a lot! Well out of the Scottish unis it seemed the best option as its far enough away from home, great uni and also it's a lovely city: there's so much going on!
Reply 11
Depends on your subject really, but AAAAB is very solid, for anything except Med/Vet that is, I know someone who was rejected from every Med school incl. Edinburgh, even though she got AAAAB :frown: Importantly your school; is it a wider access school? i.e. are there a lower percentage of pupils going onto higher education than the national average...?
Reply 12
I got 5A's! I can't believe it! Thanks guys, that should do me!
Reply 13
Original post by GremlinFace
I got 5A's! I can't believe it! Thanks guys, that should do me!

Congrats! Have fun with your last year then! Remember: if you actually care about your grades and homework quality over the next year, you're doing it wrong.

Quick Reply