The Student Room Group

Controlled assessment marked down due to teacher's prejudice

There's been an issue that has been causing me anger and frustration for some time now and I have been unsure how to confront this said issue but I want some advice now.

Let me share my dilemma:

I go to a boys school that is consistently flagged as underachieving and mediocre and therefore, the calibre of the teaching staff is low as it can be. I recently finished my GCSEs but not without major difficulties along the way. I had no Maths teacher despite my Maths GCSE being weeks away and my English teacher left suddenly. In addition to this, several new members of staff joined the school, a prospect which seemed like it could only make things better IMO. I was wrong. Having partaken in a fast track English GCSE course, I received the only A* out of my school this year with 100% in my GCSE English Language exam (big up my English teacher, ms. H). All seemed well and a major part of my GCSE was done and dusted. I was then informed that we had to take English Literature for GCSE as there would be a large gap left in our time tables due to the completion of our Maths and English. Again, all seemed well, an extra GCSE 'in the bag' :colone:

Yet again, I was wrong. My class behaved like any other ordinary group of 15-16 year old boys would do with little cause for concern. However, the new English staff found this inadequate and wished for us to be perfect little robots in the classroom uttering no words unless the Dictator that we knew as our teacher ordered us to speak. Quite obviously, the class did not conform and due to this, the teachers found they needed to make an example out of someone and who better than the student everyone expected to do best? ME.

For the next few months of the course, I was repeatedly put down and told I was 'arrogant' and any small excuse to punish me was quickly taken and escalated by the English Literature teachers. Despite this, I tried my hardest at the controlled assessment that we had to do and I was told it was marked as a Band 5 out of 5 (33-40 marks) and an A or A* and thus the highest band it could be and I could expect it to not be changed too much through moderation. All was well again until I was taken aside one day by my head of house (who has severe anger issues) and told that 'due to the mounting complaints of my behaviour', I would have to be excluded for a day. I refused to accept this as I am fairly polite to every teacher and to dislike me as a student is near impossible :colondollar:

Obviously, I refused to be excluded for no reason and contested the ludicrous charges against my punishment by exclaiming: 'I have rights! You can't do this to me!' Again, a mistake... My head of house took to asserting his autocracy by raising the exclusion time from 1 to 2 days all the while shouting in my face as if I had violated some law. I decided to come in the other day to meet the headteacher and long story, short, finding no other evidence to indict me with, they chose to rifle through my facebook posts and find one of me mildly criticising the school. This was ofcourse terribly rebellious and out of order in the eyes of the Fuhrer that we know as our headteacher and I was excluded for a week. Upon coming back, I was informed that my coursework was now a Band 4 out of 5 and a 27 out of 40 marks and a medium C. This meant my coursework had been lowered by at least 15% and two whole grades. After a while of questioning several teachers, I discovered that my coursework had been moderated by one of the teachers whom I argued with the most and I discovered that she had pulled a stunt like this last year with one of the students, marking his A coursework down to a D and then back up to a B after 'negotiating' with the pupil's mother.

Furious and wth a mission, I marched down to my English Literature teacher and told him what had happened and being the puppet that he was he reassured me that the teacher who marked my work had plenty of experience and wouldn't do such a thing and when I mentioned the student last year, he simply began shouting in my face and telling me to keep quiet. This all occurred after the deadline of the controlled assessment and I was told by him I could receive my controlled assessment back in a week or two so I could see for myself.

After waiting three weeks, I approached him for my coursework and he led me through to the office of the teacher who had moderated my work and dropped it so harshly. She began shouting at me and I was told I could not have my work back and she assured me that I could do nothing about it so here I am, angry and confused.

Sorry for the novel I just wrote but what advice would you recommend?
Seems to me your school's headteacher, English department and head of house are all ignorant.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/parents/schoolslearninganddevelopment/yourchildswelfareatschool/dg_4016106

According to that the next step is to contact your school's governing body and then the local authority. Make sure you make the situation clear and concise; people don't want to be wasting their time trying to sift out the problem.

However before all that talk to you parents about the situation they might be able to talk to the head and get something sorted out.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
You can't really mark a grade two grades lower through standardisation but you have obviously behaved very badly,you don't get expelled if you haven't done anything wrong in any school maybe sent out and talks with parents but never that far the way you think the behaviour is acceptable and the way you deny that you have done anything wrong,make you sound like a normal misbehaving pupil in a school.Tell me what did you do wrong?-you must have done something!!!!
Reply 3
Your school is required to have an exams appeals policy. I suggest you ask to see it and see what it says. Almost all of them are very similar as they are based on a template originally produced by a government agency.

However, if you have a complaint you need to stick to the facts and not base your argument on hearsay- all schools are full of rumours and gossip much of which is not true. Secondly, you have probably left it too late. The marks were probably submitted to the exam board in early May.
Original post by Dalek1099
You can't really mark a grade two grades lower through standardisation but you have obviously behaved very badly,you don't get expelled if you haven't done anything wrong in any school maybe sent out and talks with parents but never that far the way you think the behaviour is acceptable and the way you deny that you have done anything wrong,make you sound like a normal misbehaving pupil in a school.Tell me what did you do wrong?-you must have done something!!!!

Bad behaviour, however, is never a valid excuse to mark someone's coursework down. As the OP said, it is prejudice. And of course innocent people can get sanctioned; miscarriages of justice happen even in criminal cases, let alone in a school. He didn't get expelled anyway, he was excluded. Despite this, his 'poor behaviour' seems incredibly minor compared to some of the things that have happened in my school and in no way warrant such unfair treatment, especially as this treatment will result in an inaccurate mark which may affect his overall grade in a national qualification.

Absolutely disgusting, I completely sympathise OP and would urge you to follow the advice of others posted here. I had a horrible head of key stage who wouldn't let me drop a subject (at the time I did actually have the option to) and said I had severe 'emotional issues' just because I got upset over an episode of bullying. Definitely get your parents involved, I hate having to do this as makes me feel I wasn't able to handle it myself but now it just seems like a case of getting the grade you deserve in whatever way you can. Best of luck.
I'm confused. I thought that the coursework moderation process works like so:

Teacher Marks - Internal Moderation between teachers ---external moderation by exam board.
(edited 11 years ago)
Forgot to add advice: :P

You seem to go to a pretty bad school, but we don't have the schools side of the story so there is a slight possiblity that you have exaggerated events by accident.

I think you have taken the matter as far as possible with the school and now is the time to consult the governing body of the school. It is completely unacceptable to tamper with a pupil's grade in a national qualification due to personal prejudice and unless the first mark was done by a crap marker, I don't think it's ever possible for a moderation to take a piece down by 2/3 grades or 2 grade bands.
Reply 7
I would follow the advice of other people, but also go to your exams officer, and if they don't cooperate, then contact the exam board yourself. If the exam board make a query with the school, they WILL listen.
You said that the D was "negotiated" up to a B with the aid of his mother. Why dnnt you involve your parents?
Reply 9
Original post by LegitMan
There's been an issue that has been causing me anger and frustration for some time now and I have been unsure how to confront this said issue but I want some advice now.

The most important thing here is your GCSE grade. Screw trying to talk rationally with the teachers but instead make a formal complaint to the governing body, and failing that the LEA.

With the coursework: the essay is marked once again externally by the exam board who hopefully would award it the grade it deserves. If there is a massive discrepancy here, the board would investigate the school and the teacher knows this.

Try to enjoy your summer!

P.S. Tighten your Facebook privacy settings

Let me share my dilemma:

I go to a boys school that is consistently flagged as underachieving and mediocre and therefore, the calibre of the teaching staff is low as it can be. I recently finished my GCSEs but not without major difficulties along the way. I had no Maths teacher despite my Maths GCSE being weeks away and my English teacher left suddenly. In addition to this, several new members of staff joined the school, a prospect which seemed like it could only make things better IMO. I was wrong. Having partaken in a fast track English GCSE course, I received the only A* out of my school this year with 100% in my GCSE English Language exam (big up my English teacher, ms. H). All seemed well and a major part of my GCSE was done and dusted. I was then informed that we had to take English Literature for GCSE as there would be a large gap left in our time tables due to the completion of our Maths and English. Again, all seemed well, an extra GCSE 'in the bag' :colone:

Yet again, I was wrong. My class behaved like any other ordinary group of 15-16 year old boys would do with little cause for concern. However, the new English staff found this inadequate and wished for us to be perfect little robots in the classroom uttering no words unless the Dictator that we knew as our teacher ordered us to speak. Quite obviously, the class did not conform and due to this, the teachers found they needed to make an example out of someone and who better than the student everyone expected to do best? ME.

For the next few months of the course, I was repeatedly put down and told I was 'arrogant' and any small excuse to punish me was quickly taken and escalated by the English Literature teachers. Despite this, I tried my hardest at the controlled assessment that we had to do and I was told it was marked as a Band 5 out of 5 (33-40 marks) and an A or A* and thus the highest band it could be and I could expect it to not be changed too much through moderation. All was well again until I was taken aside one day by my head of house (who has severe anger issues) and told that 'due to the mounting complaints of my behaviour', I would have to be excluded for a day. I refused to accept this as I am fairly polite to every teacher and to dislike me as a student is near impossible :colondollar:

Obviously, I refused to be excluded for no reason and contested the ludicrous charges against my punishment by exclaiming: 'I have rights! You can't do this to me!' Again, a mistake... My head of house took to asserting his autocracy by raising the exclusion time from 1 to 2 days all the while shouting in my face as if I had violated some law. I decided to come in the other day to meet the headteacher and long story, short, finding no other evidence to indict me with, they chose to rifle through my facebook posts and find one of me mildly criticising the school. This was ofcourse terribly rebellious and out of order in the eyes of the Fuhrer that we know as our headteacher and I was excluded for a week. Upon coming back, I was informed that my coursework was now a Band 4 out of 5 and a 27 out of 40 marks and a medium C. This meant my coursework had been lowered by at least 15% and two whole grades. After a while of questioning several teachers, I discovered that my coursework had been moderated by one of the teachers whom I argued with the most and I discovered that she had pulled a stunt like this last year with one of the students, marking his A coursework down to a D and then back up to a B after 'negotiating' with the pupil's mother.

Furious and wth a mission, I marched down to my English Literature teacher and told him what had happened and being the puppet that he was he reassured me that the teacher who marked my work had plenty of experience and wouldn't do such a thing and when I mentioned the student last year, he simply began shouting in my face and telling me to keep quiet. This all occurred after the deadline of the controlled assessment and I was told by him I could receive my controlled assessment back in a week or two so I could see for myself.

After waiting three weeks, I approached him for my coursework and he led me through to the office of the teacher who had moderated my work and dropped it so harshly. She began shouting at me and I was told I could not have my work back and she assured me that I could do nothing about it so here I am, angry and confused.

If you got the highest mark in the controlled assessment out of your school, it *would* have been sent for moderation by the examining board (for AQA, anyway).

I think you should complain - or ask your teacher that gave you band 5 why it was marked down by so many marks.

If all fails, or there is no valid reason for the adjustment of marks, then contact your LEA and the examining board, both of whom should put things right.
Original post by kingtaco
The most important thing here is your GCSE grade. Screw trying to talk rationally with the teachers but instead make a formal complaint to the governing body, and failing that the LEA.

With the coursework: the essay is marked once again externally by the exam board who hopefully would award it the grade it deserves. If there is a massive discrepancy here, the board would investigate the school and the teacher knows this.

Try to enjoy your summer!

P.S. Tighten your Facebook privacy settings

Unfournately the coursework moderation system is terrible and most likely he won't get the grade he should get because only a small minority are marked by the exam board and the marks for them are used,to change the rest.
Can't you contact the exam board and request an external moderation for your work?
Reply 13

Let me share my dilemma:

What kind of messed up school do you go to..............they have no right to go through your Facebook either, they are teachers, you cam criticise them as much as you want and your school they are publicly funded.

As the other person stated take your parents and go to a school governors meeting to highlight the issue of your case.

But personally if this was me, forget them and go directly to the local newspaper about the treatment you are receiving, put some serious pressure on these idiots and tell any local people not to send their children there at all.
I would get those teachers fired or under some sort of inquiry, right up your troubles you highlighted and send a strongly worded letter of condemnation of your treatment to Ofsted, school of governors, local press, local council. And other parents.
Reply 14
This is weird but I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, and I think it is absolutely out of order to go through your Facebook posts, it's almost replicates a stalker and the fact they used this as a basic principle to suspend you for the failed attempt is really something else

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
it might be externally assessed and if it deserves a higher mark you will get and so will ecveryone who had the same teacher as usua;lly the exam board assumes you have a very harsh marker and they raise everyones mark by what is needed ( or they can call for each CA and mark them all if they choose ) ..but it gets sorted

if it helps one of mine JUST got moved down from an A* full marks down to a C (it was my narrative) ..then it got remarked to 'not good enough'...so i literally argued my face off got in to trouble and i figured i would just re-write one , a better one because she said i didnt deserve it the way i was acting ... i have a new teacher now and she is marking my new one :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by techno836
it might be externally assessed and if it deserves a higher mark you will get and so will ecveryone who had the same teacher as usua;lly the exam board assumes you have a very harsh marker and they raise everyones mark by what is needed ( or they can call for each CA and mark them all if they choose ) ..but it gets sorted

if it helps one of mine JUST got moved down from an A* full marks down to a C (it was my narrative) ..then it got remarked to 'not good enough'...so i literally argued my face off got in to trouble and i figured i would just re-write one , a better one because she said i didnt deserve it the way i was acting ... i have a new teacher now and she is marking my new one :biggrin:

Yes they are externally assessed, but they are moderated, as in they will only look at a few. If they are happy with the few they have seen, and haven't seen OP's, they will submit the marks given. If this is personal from the teacher, then the other marks may be fair.

OP needs to fight and fight for this piece to be looked at by a different teacher.
Reply 17

Let me share my dilemma:

My word, seems like you hard a hard time. Some teachers are right mongs who think they can do anything with their authority. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest