The Student Room Group

Got offered internship but still waiting to hear about other jobs- what to do?

I'm an MA student, expected to finish my degree in September. I have been offered an internship that's related to my degree and that I would love to do. I'd be working there for six months and they said they might offer me a permanent job if they're happy with my work. The problem is that my wages wouldn't even cover my rent (I live in London) and it involves quite a bit of travel. My parents said they'd support me but it wouldn't be ideal because they've already paid for my MA and my brother is also planning to do an MA in London.

I've applied for other jobs as well but I haven't heard back from any of them (only started applying for jobs quite recently). I've only applied for jobs, which are related to my degree and that I think I would actually enjoy so far.

I'm working on my dissertation at the moment so I won't start working for another two months but I obviously need to tell this company whether I'm gonna do the internship. So what do you think I should do? Accept the internship or wait until I hear about the other jobs?
Reply 1
As a safety net I'd just say yes to the internship, then if a proper job comes along before the start date come up with an excuse, infact I'd probably just tell them I had permanent offer. You're only an intern on low wages, I wouldn't feel too bad about it, you have to cover your own back sometimes and I'm sure they'd probably fill it within a week :smile:

I've found employers are actually quite reasonable with this kind of thing, having recently turned down a couple of internships for exactly the same reason. Can they really blame you for turning down an internship for a permanent job offer?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ginger.

If it's an internship and they aren't paying professional market rates then they know they take the risk that anyone accepting the offer will move the moment they get a better paid, professional opportunity. Of course they'll apply pressure for you to stay, but they will know they are unlikely to win. They work in the same economic environment as you do and they know what a living wage is.
Reply 3
Original post by EGjeff
As a safety net I'd just say yes to the internship, then if a proper job comes along before the start date come up with an excuse, infact I'd probably just tell them I had permanent offer. You're only an intern on low wages, I wouldn't feel too bad about it, you have to cover your own back sometimes and I'm sure they'd probably fill it within a week :smile:

I've found employers are actually quite reasonable with this kind of thing, having recently turned down a couple of internships for exactly the same reason. Can they really blame you for turning down an internship for a permanent job offer?

Original post by threeportdrift
If it's an internship and they aren't paying professional market rates then they know they take the risk that anyone accepting the offer will move the moment they get a better paid, professional opportunity. Of course they'll apply pressure for you to stay, but they will know they are unlikely to win. They work in the same economic environment as you do and they know what a living wage is.

Thanks a lot! This makes sense. So I should be ok as long as I don't have to sign a contract?

I'd feel bad if I turned it down but I'm sure they'd find someone else.

Quick Reply

Latest