The Student Room Group

Weird lump under rib cage

I've had this weird lump type thing sort of underneath my right ribs for about 4/5 years now, I can see it sometimes if I bend in a weird way, but it seems to have gotten bigger recently. It sort of feels like an uncomfortable pressure around that area and the area around it sort of is harder than the other side, does anyone know what this could be? It's probably about the size of a tennis ball/bit smaller.

I know I should see my GP about it an all, but the main reason I've ignored it for so long is because I'm pretty terrified of what he'll say it is/send me for some sort of scan, if I had to get a scan i'd probably have some sort of mental breakdown because I am that much of a paranoid wimp.

Is it normal? or..not? I get so ridiculously upset about it sometimes, confine myself to cancer and just accept that I'm dying, then a few weeks later realise that was stupid and ignore it again.

Scroll to see replies

I had something similar to this and it's just a cyst. You can have it drained :biggrin:
Reply 2
I have one on my ribs and a few on my back. It's just a cyst and most of the time, they'll leave it unless it begins to get really painful but like Anon said you can have it drained, if it'll give you peace of mind.
Reply 3
Original post by mel_1991
I have one on my ribs and a few on my back. It's just a cyst and most of the time, they'll leave it unless it begins to get really painful but like Anon said you can have it drained, if it'll give you peace of mind.

It's not like, on my ribs or anything though it's like inside me more, like, under them as in where your organs are not as in below my ribs, wouldn't a cyst have to grow on something? it kind of feels like...soft and hard, kinda like how toned muscle feels but obviously in a weird lump shape.
Reply 4
Don't want to annoy people by making another thread, but how likely is it to get mouth cancer from smoking at 21? about 10 a day for 4 years or so, just that I have this tiny lump in my mouth on the inside of my jaw near my tongue, it's been there ages and I think it was there before I smoked but can't be entirely sure, it feels kind of like bone but I can move it a little.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
It's not like, on my ribs or anything though it's like inside me more, like, under them as in where your organs are not as in below my ribs, wouldn't a cyst have to grow on something? it kind of feels like...soft and hard, kinda like how toned muscle feels but obviously in a weird lump shape.

Ahh, I see what you mean. Mine is more on top on the rib-bone but not attached to the bone but the texture of it seems like the same.

I'm pretty sure cysts can grow on skin/muscle so it is more than likely a cyst (the ones I have aren't attached and I've had them checked by two/three different doctors and a x ray).

I would advise you see a GP, it'll put your mind at ease in the long run. :smile:
Reply 6
Does it move with breathing? Might be your liver edge- this may or may not be significant, occasionally lipomas (benign collection of fatty tissue) can occur here too.

You're going to end up more worried if you dont go to your GP, who will in all likelihood, find an innocent explanation for it.

In terms of further investigations, an ultrasound (no radiation, probe with jelly) might be deemed appropriate by your GP.
Haven't read the OP, but if you are worried enough to ask people on here you should be asking a real doctor.
Reply 8
where is it exactly - in the midline or off to one side?
Reply 9
Original post by jimbo139
where is it exactly - in the midline or off to one side?

it's sort of under my last ribs on the right, so, to the side I guess
If it's been there that long and you've not experienced any other symptoms then im sure it wont be anything serious, especially not cancer! Just go to your GP and get it checked out :smile:
Even if it was some sort of tumor, it's not rapidly growing or anything so I'm sure they'll be able to treat it easily.
And scans are a good thing! They can diagnose things as being harmless as well as serious, because you've not described any other symptoms I'm sure it'll be something harmless.

But yeah, go and get it checked out anyway! x
Reply 11
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:s-smilie:urface_projections_of_the_organs_of_the_trunk.png
where abouts is it from that image (as far as T# or L# goes)
Reply 12
Original post by almasy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:s-smilie:urface_projections_of_the_organs_of_the_trunk.png
where abouts is it from that image (as far as T# or L# goes)

K that's kind of confusing but I'd say about L2/3ish It's hard to know exactly, cause I can't see it and it moves, but about there.
I don't know if this question is still needing an answer, since it's a year and a half old.... but it sounds a whole lot like what I've dealt with. Finally, now that the discomfort has gotten much worse, after about a decade of going to various doctors who were very dismissive, and searching online to no avail, I finally found a doctor who knew immediately what it was - my gallbladder. Just did a hida scan, and they found that it is barely functional now. Perhaps if they would've checked my gallbladder years ago when the damage was just starting, minor treatments possibly could've been used. Go in for surgery in a couple weeks to get it removed asap.

Of course, it could just be a cyst. However, you should get your gallbladder checked just in case... you really want to find out before you need surgery or before it ruptures.
I don't know if this question is still needing an answer, since it's a year and a half old.... but it sounds a whole lot like what I've dealt with. Finally, now that the discomfort has gotten much worse, after about a decade of going to various doctors who were very dismissive, and searching online to no avail, I finally found a doctor who knew immediately what it was - my gallbladder. Just did a hida scan, and they found that it is barely functional now. Perhaps if they would've checked my gallbladder years ago when the damage was just starting, minor treatments possibly could've been used. Go in for surgery in a couple weeks to get it removed asap.

Of course, it could just be a cyst.
However, you should get your gallbladder checked just in case... you really want to find out before you need surgery or before it ruptures.
Reply 15
You should probably see a doctor about this. Don't take any chances.
Reply 16
I've had this weird lump type thing sort of underneath my right ribs for about 4/5 years now, I can see it sometimes if I bend in a weird way, but it seems to have gotten bigger recently. It sort of feels like an uncomfortable pressure around that area and the area around it sort of is harder than the other side, does anyone know what this could be? It's probably about the size of a tennis ball/bit smaller.

I know I should see my GP about it an all, but the main reason I've ignored it for so long is because I'm pretty terrified of what he'll say it is/send me for some sort of scan, if I had to get a scan i'd probably have some sort of mental breakdown because I am that much of a paranoid wimp.

Is it normal? or..not? I get so ridiculously upset about it sometimes, confine myself to cancer and just accept that I'm dying, then a few weeks later realise that was stupid and ignore it again.

I have this same thing a lump under my left rib cage doing my head right in

Hi

I have exactly the same problem with a discomfort feeling under my right rib cage like something is being pushed against my ribs it feels the size of a golfball or bigger, it is also very uncomfortable when sleeping. I have had this for the past few years and just lived with it really not to worried about it. But eventually after years I got this checked out from my GP I have had the most devastating news ive ever had. He has basically told me it sounds and feels like a tumour and has sent me for a urgent colonoscopy as very worst case cancer is a strong possibility. Im only 27 and have 2 kids im very scared. Not to say this will be the same in your case but I would advise to get it checked out asap. My appointment is on Friday I will update when done. Thanks and goodluck to everyone in the same situation.
Mine hurts when I twist my torso and getting in and out of bed,! Feel it is displacing my other organs Andrew. Uk
Reply 19
Did you get this checked? My partner is 26 with 2 kids and is currently going through the same thing. He has a scan next week and has been told he will be needing a colonoscopy.

Latest