The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by qwerty_mad
It's so true. I have a friend who says that he has no option but to marry a person of his own kind (not just same religion) and its the same with many of my female Asian friends.

I'm talking South-Asian here. So a Pakistani for a Pakistani; Indian for an Indian and so on.

Why, though?

this is true, but if a parent was to tell their child they must marry a british white person, or a person said they will only marry white british, then you are classed a nazi and a racist.
Reply 21
It's is true of every race
Reply 22
Original post by Tinkle
you guys are making out as if all indian parents are crazy! yh fair enough for a particular minorty it could be becasue of pride etc. but im an indian...and i would only marry a indian, not becasue of pride bla bla becasue i would want to keep my religion going and teach it to my children...otherwise the effor my parents have gone through to make sure i learn about my religon would go to waste.

Why not let your children decide what they want to believe in when they grow up?
Reply 23
Its not true for all Asian parents, but sadly for most. I do have family that have married other races but ideally I think same race is preferred. I dont think this stands for most of the younger generation though!
Original post by member264988
But the topic is about ethnicity not religion :confused:

Lol, I guess I was being more precise in terms of who I would marry, as I wouldn't marry just anyone within the same ethnic group :smile:
Reply 25
It's so true. I have a friend who says that he has no option but to marry a person of his own kind (not just same religion) and its the same with many of my female Asian friends.

I'm talking South-Asian here. So a Pakistani for a Pakistani; Indian for an Indian and so on.

Why, though?

Asian men want to date white women all the time. but if their women do all hell brakes lose. especially Pakistani's. Indian women date outside their nationality/race/religion allot more then Pakistani's.

Pakistanis in my experience can be extremly racist and narrow minded. You never see them come and speak out against Islamic extremsits like Whites do against the BNP as such. I believe Pakistani's to be the most racist kind of people out there as there racism is driven by more then colour, but religion and cultural reasons. nough said.
Original post by AishaTara
my parents said it's up to me, no forced or arranged marriage ( unles i want one) but I've chosen whoever I marry will be Pakistani and Muslim :smile:

Well that's not what you said before; you just said they would let you marry who you want "as long as they are muslim".
Doesn't matter if it's not arranged, the sentiment of having to marry someone in your religion regardless of what you MAY want is still there.

To be honest you should decide who you marry based on who you meet and fall in love with, not decide the ethnicity and religion of them before you've even met anyone :/ seems really silly.
Reply 27
Original post by MDMD
Why not let your children decide what they want to believe in when they grow up?

yh im not saying im gonna supress them and force them to believe in something of course i will give them the option of beliving in whatever they want to....but at the end of the day parents always know whats right for their child...they woulld never do something to hurt them.
Reply 28
Original post by member264988
My aunty is a pakistani, she married a bengalii ..
so i don't think it matters to every asian parent, however its still true :frown:

Were there any tensions/reluctance on either side, if I may ask?
Reply 29
I'm white i have had a Indian gf before, don't really look at race or culture, just the person. I know many successful mixed race/culture realtionships, and in my opinion i do not feel that all Asian girls must marry their "own kind"

What is the point of having different races/cultures if we are all segregated? we may as well just all be the same.
well not really because they'd be social factors for example, I don't drink, wouldn't want alcohol in the house, but an english husband might do.
And it may be silly to you, the same way what you think what I think is silly ( if that makes sense)
But I wouldn't fall in love with another nationality, because I just don't feel anything in that way for them only like friends :/
Reply 31
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Well that's not what you said before; you just said they would let you marry who you want "as long as they are muslim".
Doesn't matter if it's not arranged, the sentiment of having to marry someone in your religion regardless of what you MAY want is still there.

To be honest you should decide who you marry based on who you meet and fall in love with, not decide the ethnicity and religion of them before you've even met anyone :/ seems really silly.

i jus think your being really rude by saying its silly...its wats people want and what they belive in..so dont call it silly please...and everyone has their own opinion i respect yours so i would be grateful if you respect other peoples
Reply 32
Original post by Ventura7
this is true, but if a parent was to tell their child they must marry a british white person, or a person said they will only marry white british, then you are classed a nazi and a racist.

I so agree! It' not often thought of like that.
tbh ma parents sed i can marry who i wnt as long as they r muslim but personali id prefer to be with pakistani cus thats what I am, and also because i've thought that i dont find any other race attractive :P and lastly, when ppl have kids it makes it hard for them to decide what religion, culture they follow and as they grow up they feel out of place ( i hve friends who are half english half pakistani) and they said they dont feel as though they belong in either culture :/

yes this :smile:
Reply 34
tbh ma parents sed i can marry who i wnt as long as they r muslim but personali id prefer to be with pakistani cus thats what I am, and also because i've thought that i dont find any other race attractive :P and lastly, when ppl have kids it makes it hard for them to decide what religion, culture they follow and as they grow up they feel out of place ( i hve friends who are half english half pakistani) and they said they dont feel as though they belong in either culture :/

is dat 'oo u r? rli?
Original post by hasan4life

I dont see why non asians don't get it :frown: it's just a thing they'll never get and just have to accept our views :/
Reply 36
Original post by hasan4life

Backwards, mate.
Reply 37
hmmm... i know for a fact that my parents would want me to marry someone thats indian...like myself. they just would not agree with anyone else....
:/
is dat 'oo u r? rli?

erm yeah....
Reply 39
Original post by Limitless
That sounds like a song a rapist sings...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BmGf0SQebk

LOL

Latest

Trending

Trending