The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Current Edinburgh Students Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Have made it to my internship, finally.
Also I really want results. I hate hate hate waiting.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
I'd be up for meeting people from the Edinburgh thread but I agree with Pedrobear...the back room makes me do this :hide:.
Original post by Emmie3303
I'd be up for meeting people from the Edinburgh thread but I agree with Pedrobear...the back room makes me do this :hide:.

Ditto that. When I was a sub I steered well clear - far too cliquey.
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Ditto that. When I was a sub I steered well clear - far too cliquey.

I know what you mean; it's hard to say anything because it feels like you're interrupting :p:. I'm a stealthy sub anyway :ninja:.
I know what you mean; it's hard to say anything because it feels like you're interrupting :p:. I'm a stealthy sub anyway :ninja:.

I was a sub for a while, but I found that it was too hard to break into the backroom stuff, so then I gave it up. :s-smilie:
I'm a stealthy sub anyway :ninja:.

In what way?
I've never 'got' the back room either, I have no interest in knowing who on TSR has had sex with who, I don't know who the people are in the first place and even if I did, why would I care :s-smilie: The only reason to be one is if its free.

Emmie - what do you mean?
Original post by oxymoronic
I don't know who the people are in the first place

Other sites have better chat facilities and a smaller community (often of people who are likelier to be people you might like in rl), so there's an opportunity to get to know people better (I speak from experience). Here, that's obviously not the case.

Other sites have better chat facilities and a smaller community (often of people who are likelier to be people you might like in rl), so there's an opportunity to get to know people better (I speak from experience). Here, that's obviously not the case.

This is why I essentially live in PS help. I know the people there and that's enough for me :smile:
Also, I guess it depends how you use TSR as some people do use it literally for chatting so like the whole backroom thing, whereas I've always used it in more of a 'place where I can help people' sort of role which doesn't come into that, although when I became a FA and joined the mod circle that changed a wee bit as that is a much smaller group of people.
Original post by Rainfaery
I was a sub for a while, but I found that it was too hard to break into the backroom stuff, so then I gave it up. :s-smilie:

I should probably give it up too since I'm not really bothered about the back room but I like to see who's repped me both positive and negative :p:. Were you a sub recently?

In what way?

Emmie - what do you mean?

I just try not to make it obvious with the colourful name and huge avatar :smile:. I only did it so I could see who was repping me; it's a silly reason really :colondollar:. You're probably going to tell me that people can find out anyway or that it's written in big letters somewhere :redface:.
(edited 12 years ago)
I just try not to make it obvious with the colourful name and huge avatar :smile:. I only did it so I could see who was repping me; it's a silly reason really :colondollar:. You're probably going to tell me that people can find out anyway or that it's written in big letters somewhere :redface:.

No, you do have to sub to find that out. However, your name is colourful :tongue: I'm using the red skin for tsr, so I'm afraid your name stands out as that of a sub!

In other news, I have a result! :smile:
No, you do have to sub to find that out. However, your name is colourful :tongue: I'm using the red skin for tsr, so I'm afraid your name stands out as that of a sub!

In other news, I have a result! :smile:

Aww no :p:. Oh well, at least it'll only stand out to people who bother to change the skin :grin:.

Awesome! Are you happy with it? I don't like to ask people what they got precisely in case they don't want to say but I'd love to hear it if you do want to say :smile:.
Aww no :p:. Oh well, at least it'll only stand out to people who bother to change the skin :grin:.

Heh, quite true :smile:

Awesome! Are you happy with it? I don't like to ask people what they got precisely in case they don't want to say but I'd love to hear it if you do want to say :smile:.

I got a first :smile:

I know you are too cos I have a green TSR.
You'll also appear on the list of subscribers to confirm your being a subness.

You know I think you should be a PS helper and then you can get riches for it instead of paying. Although as all of these keen PS helpers will know that may be changing soon for rewards that are more usable, so to speak :biggrin:

Was so obviously going to happen - well done!
Now I can add you to my list of people with firsts... I was thinking today, I know more people with a first (from universities generally, not Edinburgh specifically, although most people I know did get firsts) than any other degree classification so am I just friends with the most intelligent band of people? :s-smilie:

Was so obviously going to happen - well done!
Now I can add you to my list of people with firsts... I was thinking today, I know more people with a first (from universities generally, not Edinburgh specifically, although most people I know did get firsts) than any other degree classification so am I just friends with the most intelligent band of people? :s-smilie:

Thanks :smile: artorscience? got one too, so feel free to chalk her up. And you're clearly basking in our reflected glory, or something *shifty*

Thanks :smile: artorscience? got one too, so feel free to chalk her up. And you're clearly basking in our reflected glory, or something *shifty*

Oooh cool, well done her :smile:
I am the tag along imposter with a 2:1 to keep you all looking cool as otherwise you'll all be way too geeky in your first class-ness.

Well done! That's great news :smile:.

I know you are too cos I have a green TSR.
You'll also appear on the list of subscribers to confirm your being a subness.

You know I think you should be a PS helper and then you can get riches for it instead of paying. Although as all of these keen PS helpers will know that may be changing soon for rewards that are more usable, so to speak :biggrin:

I just hope most people like the colour blue :grin:. Oooh, I'm actually on a list :cool:.

What sort of responsibilities do PS helpers have? Is it just generally giving advice on how to write a good personal statement or do you mentor people one to one? It looks interesting. Usuable rewards sound even more interesting :grin:.
(edited 12 years ago)

I just hope most people like the colour blue :grin:. Oooh, I'm actually on a list :cool:.

What sort of responsibilities do PS helpers have? Is it just generally giving advice on how to write a good personal statement or do you mentor people one to one? It looks interesting. Usuable rewards sound even more interesting :grin:.

Basically, people post their PS in the forum for review. Its a private forum that only approved people can get access to... meaning you have to pass the test of me first :biggrin: Each applicant gets 1 thread. Then, when they get to the top of the queue and/or there is someone who studies/d their subject available, they will get a review on their draft. So it is sort of like one on one mentoring because we will go through the PS line by line with them and point out things which aren't relevant, or areas they need to expand on. The common example is where people say "I read X by Y. It was interesting." and then they move on, when actually they need to be talking about WHY it was interesting. Then, the applicant will usually come back with a redraft from what you've suggested, then you can work on it some more with them again if you want.

There aren't responsibilities per se for PS helpers, although at the moment we expect a minimum contribution of around 3-5 reviews per cycle to remain in the usergroup. Plus you have to be a generally decent person on TSR and not going around racking up the warning points... cos we don't like that, although I've never seen you with warnings, so that's cool :smile:

PS help rewards are already usable (on TSR) if you're not TSR staff. Its just unfortunate that if you are you then end up having thousands and thousands of riches that you can't do anything with other than give them to other people because you already have a subscription.
Basically, people post their PS in the forum for review. Its a private forum that only approved people can get access to... meaning you have to pass the test of me first :biggrin: Each applicant gets 1 thread. Then, when they get to the top of the queue and/or there is someone who studies/d their subject available, they will get a review on their draft. So it is sort of like one on one mentoring because we will go through the PS line by line with them and point out things which aren't relevant, or areas they need to expand on. The common example is where people say "I read X by Y. It was interesting." and then they move on, when actually they need to be talking about WHY it was interesting. Then, the applicant will usually come back with a redraft from what you've suggested, then you can work on it some more with them again if you want.

There aren't responsibilities per se for PS helpers, although at the moment we expect a minimum contribution of around 3-5 reviews per cycle to remain in the usergroup. Plus you have to be a generally decent person on TSR and not going around racking up the warning points... cos we don't like that, although I've never seen you with warnings, so that's cool :smile:

PS help rewards are already usable (on TSR) if you're not TSR staff. Its just unfortunate that if you are you then end up having thousands and thousands of riches that you can't do anything with other than give them to other people because you already have a subscription.

Ah, I see :smile:. It sounds quite good actually; I'll give it some thought. What's the test? I'm intrigued :grin:.

I don't think I've ever had a warning. I'm a good girl :grin:. Although I did once get told off for having a picture on my sig for some technical reason :ninja:.

Ah, I see :smile:. It sounds quite good actually; I'll give it some thought. What's the test? I'm intrigued :grin:.

I don't think I've ever had a warning. I'm a good girl :grin:. Although I did once get told off for having a picture on my sig for some technical reason :ninja:.

There is no test... you just get helped along by a lovely mentor at the start and there is far far far too much chat going on in the discussion forum if you need help :smile:

Technical reasons are above me... and you pass the being a good TSR person test too :p:

Quick Reply

Latest