The Student Room Group

BSc Economics firm choice, UCL or LSE?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by JanGloony
Hey there, I'm facing a similar situation, can't make up my mind when it comes to choosing LSE or UCL! I can only firm either one as their offer conditions are the same! Though I'm slightly inclined to LSE.

Hi! My LSE condition is slightly higher tha UCL. LSE requires a pass in FM, whereas UCl only requires 2A.
Do you know if a person changes his mind, is it possibe for one to go to insurance university even if one meets the firm conditions?
Original post by ascyb
Hi! My LSE condition is slightly higher tha UCL. LSE requires a pass in FM, whereas UCl only requires 2A.
Do you know if a person changes his mind, is it possibe for one to go to insurance university even if one meets the firm conditions?

Nope, If you meet the conditions of your firm you have to go there, least that's what I've heard.
Pretty much thats why you cannot insure a choices which has higher requirements than your firm
Reply 42
Original post by franchesskah
Nope, If you meet the conditions of your firm you have to go there, least that's what I've heard.
Pretty much thats why you cannot insure a choices which has higher requirements than your firm

I see. Thanks!
Reply 43
Original post by ascyb
Thanks for your comments. Taken that into account. btw Do you know at UCL are seminars taught by lecturers or PhDs?

As quoted by a current UCL econs yr 2 student
"Honestly , because you ve asked , i will be blunt with you . Studying econ at UCL is challenging and fun , and i m enjoying it . The quality of the students is amazing , and the tutors are mainly research students but lecturers are the professors and doctors . Most of the lecturers have been on BBC news and Sky news advising on economic situation , eg check on youtube BBC or sky a professor by the name Christian Dustmann , he is our Applied Economics lecturer and is well respected by the Gvt"

Lectures by profs, tutorials by PhD student. pretty much the same everywhere except Oxbridge.

For me the pull of UCL was really the availability of cross-faculty modules which are much more limited in a specialized uni like LSE...

Let me know yr choice!
Reply 44
Original post by pandapower
As quoted by a current UCL econs yr 2 student
"Honestly , because you ve asked , i will be blunt with you . Studying econ at UCL is challenging and fun , and i m enjoying it . The quality of the students is amazing , and the tutors are mainly research students but lecturers are the professors and doctors . Most of the lecturers have been on BBC news and Sky news advising on economic situation , eg check on youtube BBC or sky a professor by the name Christian Dustmann , he is our Applied Economics lecturer and is well respected by the Gvt"

Lectures by profs, tutorials by PhD student. pretty much the same everywhere except Oxbridge.

For me the pull of UCL was really the availability of cross-faculty modules which are much more limited in a specialized uni like LSE...

Let me know yr choice!

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I will let you know my decision when I have decided on it.
LSE has Hare Krishnas giving out free curry every day. I don't know if that is enough to sway you...
The Lybian School of Economics and Political Science has some famous alumni though.

Ghadafi versus Ghandi, you decide!
Reply 47
Original post by ascyb
I will choose either LSE or UCL as my firm choice, but I find it really hard to make a decision. I hope you can offer some advice.

I often see comparisons being made that go along the lines of "the LSE is slightly better academically but the social life is better at UCL". There's probably some merit to that gross generalisation.

I would say that for the large majority of kids, it's not going to make a difference where they go. The courses are equally tough in economic theory and your course options are the same. Most, after some time on the course, just look to make things as easy as possible by picking whatever course is perceived to be easier to help them get their 2.1's/firsts. But there are a few -- not many, but a few -- who are very interested in specific areas of economics, are good at it and want to make the most of opportunities available. LSE's Econ department is the best in the UK and if you make full use of it; participate in competitions, research seminars, debates, take courses led by the leading academics and discuss the work with them, it would be the better choice.

But, as I said, for the vast majority, it won't make a difference and they aren't too bothered about stuff I've talked about above. And each to their own. It's just as valid making decisions based on the price of pisswater 'down the union. It depends on what you value.
Original post by miranda-ae
LSE has Hare Krishnas giving out free curry every day. I don't know if that is enough to sway you...

Hare Krishnas hand out free meals everyday in front of SOAS which is a 2 minute walk away from UCL. U mad?
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
Hare Krishnas hand out free meals everyday in front of SOAS which is a 2 minute walk away from UCL. U mad?

not really no
Original post by Overmars
I often see comparisons being made that go along the lines of "the LSE is slightly better academically but the social life is better at UCL". There's probably some merit to that gross generalisation.

I would say that for the large majority of kids, it's not going to make a difference where they go. The courses are equally tough in economic theory and your course options are the same. Most, after some time on the course, just look to make things as easy as possible by picking whatever course is perceived to be easier to help them get their 2.1's/firsts. But there are a few -- not many, but a few -- who are very interested in specific areas of economics, are good at it and want to make the most of opportunities available. LSE's Econ department is the best in the UK and if you make full use of it; participate in competitions, research seminars, debates, take courses led by the leading academics and discuss the work with them, it would be the better choice.

But, as I said, for the vast majority, it won't make a difference and they aren't too bothered about stuff I've talked about above. And each to their own. It's just as valid making decisions based on the price of pisswater 'down the union. It depends on what you value.

Fresh graduate with big ego patronizing on student forum instead of enjoying the sunshine with friends?

LSE Alumni!
Reply 51
Original post by miranda-ae

Sorry, but do not understand what does this mean. Could you explain more?
Reply 52
Original post by Overmars

Thanks for your reply which is very useful. May I ask why the social life at UCL is better? Is it because it is a more inclusive university and not that tough as LSE? I have been told by some people, the social life at LSE is not that good partially because of a large percentage of international students sticking to thier own is that true? Also, as I myself is also an international student, so am not entirely clear about what social life refers to exactly by English people? I know there is a very famous pub culture in UK, so does social life primarily refer to Pub and drinking or it include a bunch of other things like culb&society interest, sports etc. Could you tell me more about what social life specifically refers to in the English Culture?
Reply 53
Original post by Frenchous
Fresh graduate with big ego patronizing on student forum instead of enjoying the sunshine with friends?

LSE Alumni!

Could you expand on that?
Reply 54
Original post by ascyb
Thx for your comments!
Just not entirely clear. You mean you think economics in UCL will be a better choice than LSE? And 7 hours of sleep at UCL is easy?
Yeah Engineering degree are very suitable for a later career in banks as well.
Do you know more about the UCL eonomics course and its international student percentage?
I do not wish to be an investment banker, that will be too stressful for me, but an LSE student told me "its like apart from IB, there are no where to go at LSE, and its always endless internships and recuitment sessions, LSE is not like a school, its most suitale for people crazily seeking job", I know it is a bit of an exaggeration, but is it true to some degree? How about it at UCL? Does UCL economics department also has an 'all wishing to be investment banker' atmosphere all it will be much more moderate than LSE? Or as they are all located in London, basically the same in this aspecat?

apparently u have been in england for a long time! Btw, i am second year economist at durham. Cannot offer much of a help. I thought durham is really good. Haha
Reply 55
Original post by ascyb

basically that is just joking. Anyway, LSE is definitely better than UCL. Having been in durham for 2 years, i have known way too much about this. U can PM if u have got any question. Btw, what a level are u taking
Original post by ascyb

I was just stating that the person who made that comment was a tat patronizing.

I was joking when I implied that all LSE students were like this. Some are some are not like everywhere else.
Reply 57
Original post by ascyb

so u have never been to england! Mate, drop me a message, and i will let u know. LSE hands down
Reply 58
Op, You can view the proportion of students getting 1st 2.1 etc. Degree classes for those courses on a website called unistats.
Original post by 09001904
basically that is just joking. Anyway, LSE is definitely better than UCL. Having been in durham for 2 years, i have known way too much about this. U can PM if u have got any question. Btw, what a level are u taking

Strong logic.

Seems legit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending