The Student Room Group

French at Oxford or Law with French Law at UCL

Hi everyone,

Very simply, this is the dilemma which I face: I have to decide between French at Oxford, and Law with French Law at UCL.

As far as problems go, I suppose that this is a pretty good one to have, but any advice would be much appreciated,

NothingCrushesUs

(note. I have posted this thread elsewhere but was told by a moderator that I would probably have more success making a post here as well)
Reply 1
What exactly do you want us to tell you? Do you want to study law? Then go to UCL. Do you don't care about law? Think about Oxford. Oxford is slightly more reputable overall than UCL, but UCL is quite prestigious as well.

Do you want to live in Oxford or London?
Original post by NothingCrushesUs
Hi everyone,

Very simply, this is the dilemma which I face: I have to decide between French at Oxford, and Law with French Law at UCL.

As far as problems go, I suppose that this is a pretty good one to have, but any advice would be much appreciated,

NothingCrushesUs

(note. I have posted this thread elsewhere but was told by a moderator that I would probably have more success making a post here as well)

1. Do you want to study Law or French (if they were both at the same university)?
2. Do you want to live in London or Oxford?
3. If you want to study law, would you be just as happy doing french at Oxford then a law conversion?
Reply 3
Why don't you call Oxford and see if you can transfer onto their Law with French Law course?

You have good options. The decision is totally up to you :smile:
Reply 4
I'd probably suggest emailing Oxford as well to see if they'd consider discussing a move on to the Law with French Law course... It's not totally unheard of to change courses slightly before/just after starting/(after you mess up first year but shhhh), but it's not commonplace either.

Out of interest why did you not apply for the Law and French Law course at Oxford?

As people have been pointed out, you will not be preventing yourself from having a career in the legal profession by reading French at Oxford - plenty of people move onto conversion courses. You will also be able to dedicate 4 years to the language and literature of France.

I suppose you have to think whether you'd enjoy 4 years of reading straight French, or do you want the law as well now rather than later?
Original post by Poppyxx
I'd probably suggest emailing Oxford as well to see if they'd consider discussing a move on to the Law with French Law course... It's not totally unheard of to change courses slightly before/just after starting/(after you mess up first year but shhhh), but it's not commonplace either.

Out of interest why did you not apply for the Law and French Law course at Oxford?

As people have been pointed out, you will not be preventing yourself from having a career in the legal profession by reading French at Oxford - plenty of people move onto conversion courses. You will also be able to dedicate 4 years to the language and literature of France.

I suppose you have to think whether you'd enjoy 4 years of reading straight French, or do you want the law as well now rather than later?

Hi,

To answer your question as to why I didn't apply for Law with French Law at Oxford, quite simply, at the time, I didn't know what to do, just like I don't know now!

I suppose that your last point is my key problem - I'd probably love both! Being totally hypothetical, if I had offers from Oxford for both French, and Law and French Law, I still wouldn't know which to choose!
Original post by NothingCrushesUs
Hi,

To answer your question as to why I didn't apply for Law with French Law at Oxford, quite simply, at the time, I didn't know what to do, just like I don't know now!

I suppose that your last point is my key problem - I'd probably love both! Being totally hypothetical, if I had offers from Oxford for both French, and Law and French Law, I still wouldn't know which to choose!

I don't know what else people can say. Do you want to be a lawyer?

Don't want to put pressure on but you only have 5 days to decide now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending