The Student Room Group

A2 study leave, how many hours of revision a day?

Scroll to see replies

I aim to do 3-4 hrs of revision a day :smile:

I'm doing Chemistry, Bio and Maths :biggrin:

I find if I revise for longer than that, I get bored and start to procrastinate and come on TSR...... :colondollar:

I don't have an exam until the 19th of June, so at the minute, revision is an exercise in maintaining motivation!! :cool:

Aiming for AAA but with a bit of luck it could be A*AA :smile:
Original post by Clare1994
Who's awake at half 7? :tongue:
and that plan wouldn't work so well for my subjects Law there's not always a set answer and quite hard to mark yourself, think i'm going to do a load of questions this week though and get my teacher to mark them next week and with economics i can't do past papers because it's based on a pre release i just have to keep going though the essays my teacher gave me and do notes and write them out over and over haha, that will be fun :redface:

I am :smile: Normally I'm up at 6:30 with the rest of the house, and being next to the bathroom when my sisters want showers kind of leaves me no choice :rolleyes: And without past papers I would die, but I suppose I took maths and sciences :cool: I had a similar situation with GCSE music where there was only 1 specimen paper for the new syllabus, revision was horrible...
Reply 62
Original post by Angry cucumber
I aim to do 3-4 hrs of revision a day :smile:

I'm doing Chemistry, Bio and Maths :biggrin:

I find if I revise for longer than that, I get bored and start to procrastinate and come on TSR...... :colondollar:

I don't have an exam until the 19th of June, so at the minute, revision is an exercise in maintaining motivation!! :cool:

Aiming for AAA but with a bit of luck it could be A*AA :smile:

Niceee and kinda get what you mean as using it as a exercise to maintain motivation, i know if i didn't start soon then i just won't be bothered or less bothered as it wont feel like i actually have exams coming up.
I'm glad my school went on study leave later than others if i had more than two weeks before exams on study leave i would of never got down to revision haha
Ahah tbh when i start bricking it that's when i properly start working but at the moment because i have two weeks before exams i'm just kinda like 'meh i have plenty of time'.
I'm sure you'll do fine when it comes to it though :smile: whens your first exam?

It was on Thursday!

I revised for that one fine, because I enjoy/am good at that subject, so it didn't feel like revision. But the next two exams I'm really worried I won't do as well as I want to in, so I'm delaying revision so I'm not reminded of that fact!

I have one exam a week today, and another on the 20th June. Waaaa.
Reply 64
Original post by SadRedWhale
I am :smile: Normally I'm up at 6:30 with the rest of the house, and being next to the bathroom when my sisters want showers kind of leaves me no choice :rolleyes: And without past papers I would die, but I suppose I took maths and sciences :cool: I had a similar situation with GCSE music where there was only 1 specimen paper for the new syllabus, revision was horrible...

Law isn't so bad though as long as you know how to answer them because it's mainly applying your knowledge to the scenario you're given.
In my first ever law exam i got a D, although after getting my exam back i still think it was marked mega harshly, anyway when i resat it and did my second law exam i got a A in both papers because pretty much all the revision i did was writing out probably about 40 exam question answers. So it's definitely helpful!
Reply 65
Original post by thompsonic7
It was on Thursday!

I revised for that one fine, because I enjoy/am good at that subject, so it didn't feel like revision. But the next two exams I'm really worried I won't do as well as I want to in, so I'm delaying revision so I'm not reminded of that fact!

I have one exam a week today, and another on the 20th June. Waaaa.

Don't think delaying revision is the best idea... least you have plenty of time between the two exams not like they're both next week :smile:
Original post by thompsonic7
I do nowhere near what I should be doing... I am in the unfortunate stage where I'm bricking it for my exams and want to revise, but I still can't motivate myself to do anything.

I'm in the same boat :s-smilie:
12 to 16 hours?!? THAT'S INSANE!!! That would be overkill for me information would not stay in my head that way would just be too much for me.
And glad i don't do sciences haha
I'm hoping for a A in law and B in economics, got A last yr in law and need to basically get a A in the last exam to get one over all but for economics i need quite a high B at the moment to achieve a B overall.

12 to 16 hours. So if he does 16 he is getting 8 hours of sleep at max and does nothing other than revise. Like doesn't eat, doesn't shower, doesn't rush his teeth. This is some crazy (unhygienic) bastard!
Original post by -Haz-
Well I start revising at about 8:30am and go straight through until about 5:30pm. I stop for an hour for lunch, and then I usually have small 15 minute breaks every couple of hours. It probably works out at about 7 hours a day. If you don’t think you can stay motivated for this long then don’t do as long, not everyone can stay focused for that long.

However I’d say you need to be doing at least 5 hours. Think about it, when you’re on study leave you’re technically still at college because you’re supposed to be working. Study leave is a substitute for college, therefore you should be revising for about the same amount of time you’re at college, if not more.

This.

EDIT: Early morning starts are the best, you will feel so much better for it. Done about five hours already today :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
I don't think it matters how much time you do in the sense that you shouldn't have a textbook open for seven hours straight thinking that this is good revision!

Make sure you know what you want to revise (Eg. Techno Fix Topic for Geography) and revise that for 30 minutes, have a 5 minute break (make a coffee, watch a youtube vid, air guitar to Foo Fighters) and then repeat with a new topic!

I do 3 to 4 hours of this, works wonders :P
Reply 70
Original post by ConnorB
(make a coffee, watch a youtube vid, air guitar to Foo Fighters)

Foo Fighters good choice :biggrin:
I'm trying to get 6-8 hours done, so at least 1.5 hours for each exam.
Finding it tough though and doing a lot less than that :frown: I'm probably on like 3 hours a day tops.
Argh and my next exam is in a week and 1 day and I have 4 exams in the space of 10 days and Im freaking out :redface:
Anyways I really have to stop procrastinating on here and get my arse into gear!
Reply 72
At least 5 hours a day.
I tend to only revise for one subject though not mix and match.
what do y'all do for the rest of the day? i find i get frumpy and frustrated if i just sit at home...any ideas...but i dont want to leave my books for too long - you know what i mean :P :P
Reply 74
I do 6hrs every day, but I take frequent breaks otherwise I just get fed up and productivity drops.

I'd recommend using a timer application on your phone. I use it to keep track of how much work I've done so far, and it means I can easily pause it when I need a break :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Reply 75
I think law will be okay once i've ordered and typed up my notes as a class we find law a easier subject to cram because once you do have the notes it's not too hard to learn especially if you do a load of past papers.

that's true, but there are some questions where you have to write selective material and cramming wont be completely useful, u'd need to apply relevant cases and omit the irrelevant ones...
Reply 77
So far I've only been doing around 4 hours. My A2 Psy is on Monday so from tomorrow my plan is to do around 8-9 hours at least. Because of laziness and chilling out too much during my first year (AS) I only got C grades, but I plan to make up for it with A2.. so yeah i would say at least 6 hours depending on how close the exam is
Original post by Mrkingpenguin
I got good GCSEs without revising that amount per day, and im sure A level is the same.

It is absolutely, 100 percent, completely different. I did no revision whatsoever (and I mean none) for GCSE and got 6 A*s, the rest As. At A Level, to get beyond a B I have to do a reasonable amount of revision (5 hours per subject per week minimum from the start of the year).

Quick Reply

Latest