The Student Room Group

Daniel Tammet on the Late Show with David Letterman

Towards the end of this video, Tammet tells Letterman his date of birth. Letterman acts like he's trying to figure out the day, and guesses (?) Wednesday - and he's right!

There are 2 possibilities: Letterman made a lucky guess or he had looked up Tammet's birth-date and day before the show. What is the probability that Letterman made a lucky guess?

P(guesscorrect)=P(\text{guess}|\text{correct})= P(guesscorrect)P(correct)\frac{P(\text{guess}\cap\text{correct})}{P(\text{correct})}

=1/21/71/21/7+1/21=\frac{1/2*1/7}{1/2*1/7+1/2*1}

=18=\frac18

Is that correct?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
There's a 1 in 7 chance. There are 7 days per week. So the probability of randomly picking the correct one is 1/7.

Due to the nature of the show, it's likely there was a script or a plan, so Letterman probably did not guess.
Reply 2
Original post by Llewellyn
There's a 1 in 7 chance. There are 7 days per week. So the probability of randomly picking the correct one is 1/7.

While that's true, that's not what I asked. My question was: Given that we know that Letterman got it right, what is the probability that he guessed?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by thomaskurian89

Towards the end of this video, Tammet tells Letterman his date of birth. Letterman acts like he's trying to figure out the day, and guesses (?) Wednesday - and he's right!

There are 2 possibilities: Letterman made a lucky guess or he had looked up Tammet's birth-date and day before the show. What is the probability that Letterman made a lucky guess?

P(guesscorrect)=P(\text{guess}|\text{correct})= P(guesscorrect)P(correct)\frac{P(\text{guess}\cap\text{correct})}{P(\text{correct})}

=1/21/71/21/7+1/21=\frac{1/2*1/7}{1/2*1/7+1/2*1}

=18=\frac18

Is that correct?

I got the same answer as you. But I'm no expert.

Due to the nature of the show, it's likely there was a script or a plan, so Letterman probably did not guess.

1/7 is P(Correct | Guess) but the OP is asking for P(Guess | Correct).

(This is all assuming that the initial probability that Letterman took a lucky guess is the same as the initial probability that he cheated).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
While that's true, that's not what I asked. My question was: Given that we know that Letterman got it right, what is the probability that he guessed?

You are assuming that the probability of guessing is 1/2 or 0.5 . How do you know that this is true? No evidence has been given to suggest this.
Reply 5
You are assuming that the probability of guessing is 1/2 or 0.5 . How do you know that this is true? No evidence has been given to suggest this.

It's an assumption made by thomaskurian. While it may not be true, you can still do the maths.
Reply 6

I think you have a point.
Reply 7
Original post by notnek
It's an assumption made by thomaskurian. While it may not be true, you can still do the maths.

I would have preferred him to have stated that the general answer is p76p\frac{p}{7-6p} where p is the probability that Letterman guessed.

Stating your assumptions is vital, especially in Statistics.
Reply 8
I would have preferred him to have stated that the general answer is p76p\frac{p}{7-6p} where p is the probability that Letterman guessed.

Stating your assumptions is vital, especially in Statistics.

p is not the probability that Letterman guessed. (We are trying to find that out.) p is the probability that Letterman guesses in such situations.
Reply 9
p is not the probability that Letterman guessed. (We are trying to find that out.) p is the probability that Letterman guesses in such situations.

p is the probability that Letterman guessed before any additional information is given. You're trying to use this to work out the probability that Letterman guessed once we know that his answer was correct.

Is this what you meant? I didn't really understand your post.

Yes but you don't know the probability that Letterman guessed or the probability that letterman guesses in such situations. Don't you see the problem?

Analogy:
2y = x
Find x without knowing what y is.
Reply 11
Yes but you don't know the probability that Letterman guessed or the probability that letterman guesses in such situations. Don't you see the problem?

Analogy:
2y = x
Find x without knowing what y is.

I agree that my answer was wrong and your answer is correct. It's just that you incorrectly described the symbol p you used in your answer.
Reply 12
I agree that my answer was wrong and your answer is correct. It's just that you incorrectly described the symbol p you used in your answer.

I thought Llewellyn described it fine:

P(Guess)=p
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by notnek
I thought Llewwellyn described it fine:

P(Guess)=p

He said that p is the probability that Letterman guessed. If that were true, our answer would be p.
He said that p is the probability that Letterman guessed. If that were true, our answer would be p.

No, our answer would be p/ (7-6p), because you want to find the probability that he guessed given that he got it correct.

Quick Reply