The Student Room Group

16-19 Bursary/EMA Questions Thread

Scroll to see replies

bbc done an article on the ema problem -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7593747.stm

their computers and systems are broken... typical
so they have to input all the data into the system manually apparently (whatever that means)

basically there is a massive delay and we wont be getting our ema for a couple of weeks

hopefully they will pay us the amount they owe us by the time the problem is sorted
Reply 1041
Hi. Could someone just answer me this please. Would be so grateful. My mum only has given me a tax credit but I don't think it's the correct one. I think it's only a prediction from her not an actualy precise income for the year. I don't know whether to send it off or not. It looks like a tax credit form but not 100% sure it is. She isn't getting it sorted and I'm afraid I won't get it sorted in time. Mehhhh.
Reply 1042
Selkarn
Ehm, no

If you are eligible for it,you have to apply for it....they dont contact you...
http://ema.direct.gov.uk/
Reply 1043
I sent my form in way back, before I finished school, so before June?
I recieved my NoE a couple of week ago, I took it to enrolment and signed the contract and everything. I was happy considering the whole backlog thing going on.

But this morning I recieved a second NoE, identical except it has a different EMA Ref. number >_< So this means I got processed twice or something?
I don't see how, considering it's the same name, address, bank details etc - surely they must know that?
I'm going to ring them up, hopefully it'll be simple and they'll just cancel the second number. But things never go easily for me lol xD
Woah , people are getting their NOE's twice! And i have not even got mine yet.
Reply 1045
i sent off my form almost two months ago now, and i've heard absolutely nothing. tried the helpline about fifteen times - only got through once, and got put on hold. after twenty minutes, i hung up. i know there has been problems with the systems and stuff, but it cant seriously take two months to process a form. and now they're saying there is going to be about a months delay still? my parents can't afford to give me money for bus passes and lunch, etc, for the amount of time it takes till everything is sorted out.
I sent off my form a while ago, havent got anything back. Dont worry, last year I was at school for about 2/3 weeks before I got my first £30 payment.
Reply 1047
do they back date?
Is EMA on net or gross income?
Before tax. (Net?)
Reply 1050
and yes they do back date, or well they did for me last year when i had to wait for my reply to come through, although that was because of a late application. i still cant believe how long its taking,
They do normally backdate. Either because of a mess up on their part (they did this with me - I wasn't paid because someone had forgot about me) or because of problems with the other people who deal with EMA.
Reply 1052
I seem to be the only one to have no problems so far! I've been sent my NoE, is that right? Anything else I should have?
Assuming the NoE is that form you have to take in that has to be signed, then I think you have everything.
Reply 1054
HAs anyone got through to them by phone? Everytime we phone its either buisy or it rings so long that my phone gets bored and hangs up. What are they saying when you get through? I start college on tuesday and starting to worry because i know i have books to buy.
Jsk
HAs anyone got through to them by phone? Everytime we phone its either buisy or it rings so long that my phone gets bored and hangs up. What are they saying when you get through? I start college on tuesday and starting to worry because i know i have books to buy.

I got through yesterday, after about 25 minutes "on hold" where they played me stupid music :rolleyes: I can't help you with what they are gonna say, coz I needed to change my EMA thingy from one college to another, which they did for me..the guy that I spoke to was lovely :yep:
Vincentx
I sent my form in way back, before I finished school, so before June?
I recieved my NoE a couple of week ago, I took it to enrolment and signed the contract and everything. I was happy considering the whole backlog thing going on.

But this morning I recieved a second NoE, identical except it has a different EMA Ref. number >_< So this means I got processed twice or something?
I don't see how, considering it's the same name, address, bank details etc - surely they must know that?
I'm going to ring them up, hopefully it'll be simple and they'll just cancel the second number. But things never go easily for me lol xD

are the numbers in the same format or is one different to the other? There are some beginning with MN and some are just all numbers..I have been led to believe the all numerical ones are the right number, and the MN ones are temporary however I could be talking rubbish
Reply 1057
my mum got through to the phone line today whilst i was at college. you just have to try like thirty times.

and my notice should come through within two weeks. or so they say.
Reply 1058
this is becoming a joke now, iv quit my job because of the hours are awkward with college and now i have a horrible feeling im going to be struggling.
It was in the newspaper. I don't know which one. My mom cut it out and gave it to me. Same old story. But it seems the media are only just catching onto it.

I sent a letter about four days ago as i couldn't get through by phone. Basically asking what the hell was going on (in a politer manner) and that i hadn't recieved any response from them at all since i sent off my application in May/June.

Today, i got a letter from them. FINALLY! Basically said they had my application and were processing it.

It took from May to September to tell me that lol!

I'm not worried anymore though. Well, not as much. As, i now know that they have my application. So, even if they start paying me at Christmas, they have to backdate it all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending