The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Is it hard to get into Glasgow University

I'm thinking of applying for psychology or french and history. I'm not sure which subject to pick yet. But how difficult is it to get into University of Glasgow.
Reply 1
erivinn
I'm thinking of applying for psychology or french and history. I'm not sure which subject to pick yet. But how difficult is it to get into University of Glasgow.

It's difficult to answer that for any course - it's subjective. If your grades meet the entry requirements you stand a good chance. Glasgow is probably (slightly) less competative than Edinburgh but it isn't an easy 'safe bet' that some people think it is.
Basically if you meet the requirements and like the uni go for it.

I will say that psychology is probably more competitive than french or history. At Glasgow and other Scottish unis you tend to do 40 out of 120 credits of your 'main' subject - most people end up doing three different subjects. In the past if you wanted to do psychology you had to specifically pick that as part of your degree, whereas you can pick most other subjects freely.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
maxPP
It's difficult to answer that for any course - it's subjective. If your grades meet the entry requirements you stand a good chance. Glasgow is probably (slightly) less competative than Edinburgh but it isn't an easy 'safe bet' that some people think it is.
Basically if you meet the requirements and like the uni go for it.

I will say that psychology is probably more competitive than french or history. At Glasgow and other Scottish unis you tend to do 40 out of 120 credits of your 'main' subject - most people end up doing three different subjects. In the past if you wanted to do psychology you had to specifically pick that as part of your degree, whereas you can pick most other subjects freely.

thnx but has your ps to be really really good to get accepted too ??
It depends on the course, and of course how good you are. That being said there are plenty of other unis that aren't as hard to get into.
I would say considering how good a uni it is, its not that competitive. If you've got the predicted grades then go for it.
StabiloBoss
I would say considering how good a uni it is, its not that competitive. If you've got the predicted grades then go for it.

Well, they gave you an offer with AAB so I would say Glasgow is competitive for Eng Lit. :biggrin: And, I think it is a four-year degree so if it had been a three-year course, they would have asked for A*AA, maybe.
I know Glasgow is quite competitive for Psychology, for French I don't know.
Reply 7
If i wrote my ps on Psychology and applied for both psychology (single) and French and History (joint degree) will the reject me because i did not write my ps on French and History ??
Reply 8
To take psychology to degree level you need to apply for it via UCAS and therefore tailor your personal statement towards that. It would be quite hard to apply for both courses and write a personal statement for both, especially if you are applying to other universities.
erivinn
If i wrote my ps on Psychology and applied for both psychology (single) and French and History (joint degree) will the reject me because i did not write my ps on French and History ??

If I were you, I would contact the admission officer.
Reply 10
erivinn

I know that this year History 1A/B (medieval) wouldn't let anyone in who didn't put it down on their UCAS form, meaning that those that wanted to do history without putting it on their form had to do Scottish History (thus letting them do Medieval in year two)
Reply 11
I was accepted for history and politics on the 29th October, I guess it is hard but not impossible!
I know this is off topic but is Primary Education hard to get into at Glasgow?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending