The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I'm thinking of applying to medicine, however I really messed up
in the economics exam due to over exhaustion and I basically didn't answer anything!

Let's say I get AAA/BAA in Bio,chem and ICT
but I end up getting E or U in Economics AS

Bearing in mind that I'm dropping Economics as my fourth subject,
Also I want to apply to Universities from London only :tongue:

I will retake it and try to get at least a B, but what will I say to the universities when I apply this year???

Thank You in advance for your suggestions :biggrin:
Just leave your AS economic grade as pending I suppose.
if you get a U, you don't declare it.
but for medicine, it might be different, not sure though.
Reply 63
Pending?

It's probably very different for different med schools though, I was worried about my 4th AS grade, I went and contacted universities i'm interest in basically saying, here's my GCSEs, here's my AS predictions/current modules etc. all looking good for AAB, I want to apply to course x - will an E in my AS throw me out of any consideration?

I got a couple of different replies, some saying it definitely wouldn't ruin your chance but we can't say it wouldn't be looked at etc.
thanks:smile: but i've heard that Cardiff do a point-counting system? are GCSE's a big part of applying to Medicine? :smile:
Reply 65
got rejected by four uni i applied for in my final year as undergraduate in biomedical sciences..have been predicted for a 2:i degree waiting to graduate...anyone have been or is in the same position as me??? any advice appreciated! :biggrin:
I didn't get in after doing a degree. I got a 2.ii. I took a year out, got a job to earn some money, took the GAMSAT and applied to the unis that take 2.ii's with GAMSAT: ST George's 4yr, Nottingham 4yr and Peninsula 5yr. You can see from my sig I got in :smile: It's def worth applying again. The good thing about the GAMSAT is that if you pass the minimum grades set by the unis, which you won't find out until you've sat it and applied, you're guaranteed an interview, and it'll be down to your performance there whether you get a place or not. Having said that, the GAMSAT is hard. Doable but you have to finish in the top 15%. Def worth a shot, good luck.
doctormoley
thanks:smile: but i've heard that Cardiff do a point-counting system? are GCSE's a big part of applying to Medicine? :smile:

Your GCSE's do matter for your medicine application, but so do things such as your personal statement, A-level predictions, UKCAT score, work experience and interview. All universities have their own requirements for each of these, Birmingham requires something in the region of 8 A*'s to get an interview whereas peninsula require 7 C's.

I will say that GCSE's will probably not be the thing that is most scrutinised about your application, it is more likely that the amount of work experience you have and your A-levels are going to be the things that get you an interview, and then it'll just be about how good you are at that that decides if you get a place!

As with most things that the universities ask for, GCSE's are just used to "thin the crowd" make sure that whatever university you are applying to has GCSE requirements that are compatible with you, as well as UKCAT score, A-level predictions and amount of work experience expected!

You can find a good break-down of GCSE requirements here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

but I'd recommend you check the universities website as well, just to make sure the wiki isn't wrong. You can also check Cardiff's website for information on their GCSE scoring system

Best of luck!
Reply 68
ilovehotchocolate
I didn't get in after doing a degree. I got a 2.ii. I took a year out, got a job to earn some money, took the GAMSAT and applied to the unis that take 2.ii's with GAMSAT: ST George's 4yr, Nottingham 4yr and Peninsula 5yr. You can see from my sig I got in :smile: It's def worth applying again. The good thing about the GAMSAT is that if you pass the minimum grades set by the unis, which you won't find out until you've sat it and applied, you're guaranteed an interview, and it'll be down to your performance there whether you get a place or not. Having said that, the GAMSAT is hard. Doable but you have to finish in the top 15%. Def worth a shot, good luck.

yeh ive heard that GAMSAT is really hard so thats why im concentrating on UKCAT..so if i can boost my UKCAT score and get loads more work experiecce hopefully ill be lucky!! just intrested in the work experience you did?? did the uni ask for more level of work experience an did they aski you about you taking a gap yea??? congrats on getting a place!! :biggrin:
I haven't actually done any work experience in my gap year at all to be honest, I figured I had enough. Well, healthcare related anyway. Before I applied the first time I did a weeks work ex held by PMS postgrad centre inc a load of lectures about why you don't want to be a Dr and some hands on workshops on skills like first aid, intubation, defibrilltion and interview skills. This lead to half a day on wards where I got to obeserve colonoscopies and bronchoscopies and I got a day in surgery watching a laproscopic oesophagectomy. I also did three months one afternoon a week in a GP's, I was an APAUSE sex education peer educator, I taught juniors how to sail, I worked as a saturday girl at BHS and was awarded the above and beyond the call of duty staff award and I was the schools walking team captain. Whilst at uni doing biomedical science I learnt to row and was made stroke of my boat, I volunteered for two years one night a week on neuro and elderly care wards and did a load of patient satisfaction surveys and I worked in a pensions administration office, and still do, as a project officer on a technical team constructing spreadsheets, heading up projects to fix issues in data and providing software support. I've been there 4 years now on and off in holidays. None of them asked about the gap year because it's different when you're a grad. They know you've taken the time to make sure this is the right path for you and not all grads come direct form school/uni. None of them have ever asked me for more work ex either.
thanks a lot mate:smile:
BeckyDay
Well my GCSEs are 5A*s and 6As and I've got an offer for medicine. It's up to you to decide whether they are good or not.

Just wondering, which unis did you apply to, and which ones accepted you, if you don't mind me asking. Thanks :smile:
Reply 72
Look at the grade requirements for London med schools. They all specify at least a B in your 4th AS, so unless you have extenuating circumstances, I think you might need to reconsider your plan.
Reply 73
Rainbow249
Just wondering, which unis did you apply to, and which ones accepted you, if you don't mind me asking. Thanks :smile:

No, I don't mind at all. I applied for Glasgow, Aberdeen, Cardiff and Southampton. I had an offer for AAB from Glasgow but was rejected from Cardiff and Southampton. I know Southampton had thousands of applicants and their increase in entry requirements reflects this so it was probably because I was only predicted a B in chemistry. I think this was also why Cardiff rejected me. I withdrew from Aberdeen though, once I discovered I had an offer from Glasgow. They were about to send out their last few batches offers for interview actually when I rejected them so I may have been there but it's unlikely.

My 5th option was biomedical sciences at UCL which I have an offer for AAB.

I think my GCSEs were okay but my prediction in chemistry made me a weaker candidate. I'm personally amazed I was accepted to Glasgow given the competition this year and some of the amazing applicants who were rejected from all their universities.
Reply 74

Depends on the unis you want to applt to, some want high some dont.
Reply 75
Waraich

Bearing in mind that I'm dropping Economics as my fourth subject,
Also I want to apply to Universities from London only :tongue:

I will retake it and try to get at least a B, but what will I say to the universities when I apply this year???

Thank You in advance for your suggestions :biggrin:

Basically with an E or U in a forth as you would not meet the entry requirements of Barts (AAAb) Imperial (AAAb/AAAC) Kings (AAAb) St Georges (AAAb) or UCL (AAAb). You would NOT be able to apply to them without a forth AS at grade B. Only Imperial and Kings allow resits but require special circumstances. Barts state they allow resits within the AS and A2 years - so they may allow you to retake an AS in your A2 year.

Basically, you will have to rethink your plan of applying only to London as you do not meet the entry requirements of a single one of them currently. It will be a matter of contacting them and seeing if they allow you to retake an AS to meet your offer, but it is very unlikely four of them will accept a resit. You will have to consider applying outside London. Don't assume all of them will allow you to resit your AS in y13. Some medical schools count an AS that takes two years (if you are not doing the A2) as resit candidates and you have to remember not all med schools accept resits.

Also some schools certify grades. If your school does you will HAVE to declare your grade on your UCAS, as all certified grades must be declared.
Reply 76
Would 2A*'s and 1a and 9b's be looked upon if i get A*A*A*A* in maths,bio,chem and phsycology ?
Reply 77
B's in science however ... ?
Reply 78
Hi, I've wanted to do Med. for quite a while now.

I'll be starting 6th form next year, so recently, I've been doing my research into Unis, and I've come up with 3 that I quite fancy, Manchester, Liverpool, and Barts. Obviously you can go for 4 on the UCAS, so I was wondering what you guys would reccomend?

I'd fancy somewhere with PBL, easy access back home (to Oldham) via train or whatever, and with not too awful chances of being accepted!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Joe
Reply 79
keele?