The Student Room Group

Going Young Offenders Institution

Before you judge me, please spare me it, I know what I did was right and correct considering the situation.

I got a court case soon for armed assault, I'm 17 and there's a high chance I will go to Feltham Young Offenders Institution (in West London).

However, I am from an area from just outside of London, and I don't know much about London prisons. I don't have any issues except that I hear rape or homosexual activity is common :/

Can anyone provide more information, thanks/.

Scroll to see replies

just make sure everybody knows you have aids on your first day :smile:... untouchable
Reply 2
Feltham YOI is horrible, I'd suggest keeping your head down whilst you serve your time there until you're transferred to an adult prison.

A vast majority of the youths there black, so depending on your race this could be a problem or a positive. Most people belong to "gangs" and such even though management try to prevent this from occurring. I'd advise staying out of a gang, as you could find it means you spend a couple of more years inside.

Though uncommon in Feltham YOI there are some seriously violent crimes that go on such a murder etc.

Just follow the system, do everything to the T.
Reply 3
how come it was right what you did. and then your going to YOI?
Armed assault was the right thing?
Reply 5
Original post by DomWall
how come it was right what you did. and then your going to YOI?

If you really wanna know, during my high school days, I had trouble with certain people. One day, they went to my house and attacked my mum, NOO WAY would I stand for this. I dont care what the law said. I had to do what I did, and I wouldn't show any remorse if he died. It was MORALLY correct.
Reply 6
Original post by ToastyCoke
Armed assault was the right thing?

Read my above post
Reply 7
Original post by Dr92
Feltham YOI is horrible, I'd suggest keeping your head down whilst you serve your time there until you're transferred to an adult prison.

A vast majority of the youths there black, so depending on your race this could be a problem or a positive. Most people belong to "gangs" and such even though management try to prevent this from occurring. I'd advise staying out of a gang, as you could find it means you spend a couple of more years inside.

Though uncommon in Feltham YOI there are some seriously violent crimes that go on such a murder etc.

Just follow the system, do everything to the T.

Well I look Spanish.. but I am not. And I heard there are a lot of Muslims there, since I am Muslim, perhaps if I join a Muslim gang I'd be safe from rape (I don't mind physical abuse, I think I can tolerate it, as long as it isn't rape or anything)?
Reply 8
what did you do?
Reply 9
Original post by i.love.heroes
what did you do?

Armed assault
OP growing up i had a few wreckless stunts and ended up in such places, keep your wits about yourself and good luck :smile:

just read, armed asault...theres going to be plenty of knuckle heads who will see if you really are tough...as for rape im inclined to think its just rumours

i'd suggest you keep your head down and use this time to work out what you are looking to do with your life, 17 is still young you can fix up before you end up in a proper prison, ive been places before but i wouldnt survive in Strangeways...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Make it clear on your first day, that you are not to be f***** with.
Reply 12
Pm me?
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous
If you really wanna know, during my high school days, I had trouble with certain people. One day, they went to my house and attacked my mum, NOO WAY would I stand for this. I dont care what the law said. I had to do what I did, and I wouldn't show any remorse if he died. It was MORALLY correct.

It wasn't, that's why you're facing a custodial sentence.

It is unlikely anyone on TSR will be able to help you. A simple google search provided the following, which I suggest you consider contacting.

http://www.hmprisonservice.gov.uk/adviceandsupport/azofsupportgroups/index.asp?id=102,90,91,100,0,0

http://www.hmprisonservice.gov.uk/adviceandsupport/azofsupportgroups/index.asp?id=3058,90,91,100,0,0

http://www.prisonersfamilies.org.uk/
Read my above post

Ah, agreed then.
They're quite cushy, a guy in my family went to a YOI recently and made some friends so just stay out of people's way and don't go in thinking you're the dogs *******s and you should be fine :dontknow:
Reply 16
(I don't mind physical abuse, I think I can tolerate it, as long as it isn't rape or anything)?

You shouldn't tolerate any sort of physical abuse in prison, that said you will come across it whilst your spending your time, first hand or not.
Give across the impression that you're able to stand up for yourself whist not being the BIG I AM. Be the "gray" kid who everyone over looks.

Another thing I will add to the midst is that despite the fact that these people are in for some serious things, they're not all that bad (I mean in terms of being a nice person) and you will defiantly make friends there. Don't gang up as such but know the right people and don't get into trouble with the officers in charge.

I'm not denying that rape "MIGHT HAPPEN" but with the security measures it's next to impossible to do it.
If it's any consolation, a few months back a guy called Shaun Attwood came to speak to our school about his experience in Arizona jail (hardest jail in the world). He said that you only got raped if you were a rapist yourself or if you committed a crime against a child/woman.
Reply 18
Original post by emeritus2011
OP growing up i had a few wreckless stunts and ended up in such places, keep your wits about yourself and good luck :smile:

just read, armed asault...theres going to be plenty of knuckle heads who will see if you really are tough...as for rape im inclined to think its just rumours

i'd suggest you keep your head down and use this time to work out what you are looking to do with your life, 17 is still young you can fix up before you end up in a proper prison, ive been places before but i wouldnt survive in Strangeways...

Thankss.. my life was going all good, I was predicted AAB in my AS levels, dont know about now though, doubt any uni will take me once im out..
Reply 19
Original post by tom6326
Pm me?

why?

Quick Reply