The Student Room Group

The Arab League

The Official Thread of the Arab League.

Constitution of the TSR Arab League

Presidency
-A President Nation is elected every three months
-Two Deputy President Nations are elected every three months
-The President Nation has 2 votes in the Presidential Council, each deputy president nation has 1 vote
-To pass in the Presidential Council, a 50% in favour vote is required
-The President can Veto 2 measures per term in the council. A veto causes the measure to be voted on by the entire assembly (see "Voting").
-The Deputy President nations can veto 1 measure each per term.
-A VoNC in the president may be submitted by any member of the assembly, but must be seconded by another member state and receive a 60% vote to go through.

Voting
-There will be two tiers of voting, a presidential council vote (see above), and a full assembly vote, which requires a 75% majority vote to pass. It is up to the president nation alone to determine which measures go to which vote.
-Any nation may submit a measure to the president nation for voting on, this does not require seconding by any other nations.

Presidential Elections
- A 'High Elector' will be appointed by the President before each election. The High Elector may not participate in either Presidential or Deputy Presidential elections for that term. In the absence of a High Elector, elections are managed by the Secretary General of the TSR Model United Nations
-Elections for both President and Deputies are held every 3 months, Deputy Presidential elections are held after the election of the president.
-The High Elector may be a former president nation, however they must not be the serving president or deputy even if they do not intend to run in said election.

Votes of No Confidence

-In the event of a VoNC succeeding, the Deputy President nations may govern until the next scheduled election, or they may choose to hold an immediate election, relinquishing all power until/unless re-elected.
-A VoNC may not be called in a deputy president nation, however a statement of complaint may be issued to the President nation, who will have the power to organise an unscheduled election for said seat, allowing the current nation and others to stand. However the president may choose to ignore said statement and take no action.

Observer Nations
-Observer members may be admitted by the council or general assemby (see above, at presidents discretion).
-Admission of Observer Members is dealt with on a case by case basis
-Observer Members must submit a 300 word (max.) manifesto as to why they should become an observer member.

Full Members

-The admission of nations to full member status must be voted on by the full assembly, and receive a majority vote (over 50%)
-Full members may be removed by a 60% majority vote on the general assembly, and re-admitted at a future date under the same conditions

Summits

The Arab League may be represented at any MUN wide summits by a representative appointed by the Presidential Council.

Activity within the MUN

The Arab League may submit motions, resolutions and treaties as an organisation (which must be voted in under the same conditions as above) to the MUN, and if voted in favour of, the president nation may sign any treaty on behalf of all arab league nations in the MUN, meaning that even nations who voted against the treaty must accept its terms if they are full members of the league

Ammendments to this document.

Ammendments to the original document of August 2012 may be made if a 75% majority full league vote is in favour of said Amendment. Ammendments may be made to all parts of this document, and may be submitted by any Arab League full member or observer nation (observer nations may submit ideas, but will still be unable to vote on them.)

Serving President: Tunisia (June 2012-present)
Serving Deputy Presidents: Qatar (October 2012-present) Palestine (December 2012-present)

Past Presidents: none
Past Deputy Presidents:
2nd DP Position remained vacant between Sept. 2012 and Dec.2012
Oman (June 2012- September 2012)
Libya (June 2012- September 2012)

Former Governing methods

Spoiler

List of member states

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Libya is looking forward to serving its fellow Arab nations as part of the current council, and hopes this will give us a louder voice in the UN.

OOC:

Spoiler

I could pin this thread if you like.
Reply 3
Original post by thunder_chunky
I could pin this thread if you like.

If you could it would be a help :P
Reply 4
Original post by missbanana21
Libya is looking forward to serving its fellow Arab nations as part of the current council, and hopes this will give us a louder voice in the UN.

OOC:

Spoiler

Tenbinza
QFA

Tunisia calls on the Arab league to debate and vote on the admission of Iran, Tanzania and Sierra Leone as Observer states to the Arab League.

Tunisia calls first for the countries of the Council to decide whether this matter should go to a general vote (all countries), or be dealt with by the council.
Reply 5
Ok I've been holding off saying this because you've clearly put a lot of work into this, but I really dislike to the concept of this thread, the whole point of the Arab league is that it is a democratic body. This should not be a seperate thread, the whole thing should be integrated - this thread merely excludes the majority of the membership from participation in discussion. I think that we should just revamp the main thread, appoint a SG who isn't a member country and then have your council of 3 idea, but each country has a veto. This means you need at least 2 countries to say yes, and the other one to abstain.

Maybe everyone else disagrees, but when I created this I had hoped to unify all of the Arab states - imo this thread just undoes most of that.
Reply 6
Original post by Tenbinza
Ok I've been holding off saying this because you've clearly put a lot of work into this, but I really dislike to the concept of this thread, the whole point of the Arab league is that it is a democratic body. This should not be a seperate thread, the whole thing should be integrated - this thread merely excludes the majority of the membership from participation in discussion. I think that we should just revamp the main thread, appoint a SG who isn't a member country and then have your council of 3 idea, but each country has a veto. This means you need at least 2 countries to say yes, and the other one to abstain.

Maybe everyone else disagrees, but when I created this I had hoped to unify all of the Arab states - imo this thread just undoes most of that.

I agree completely, which was mainly the reason why I voted "no" on the other thread.
Reply 7

Its just seperate cause the other one is OOC mostly, and I think that most stuff should be put to vote. The whole point of this is just to get things started until we ha ve a good enough voting system.
Reply 8
Original post by Pandora.
I agree completely, which was mainly the reason why I voted "no" on the other thread.

The veto thing's a good idea, but this is only temporary. In my opinion we need to get a democratic system up as soon as possible, its just that we've had no way whatsoever of decision making, whereas the Baltic League got off to a quick start. We just need something to get started, and I can't see any long term future whatsoever for this sort of council after a vote has been called. The majority of countries who voted, voted yes to this idea, it really is just a temporary measure that if managed correctly will have a positive effect on the start of the league.
It's good to see the lively debate continue
Reply 10
It's good to see the lively debate continue

Could we get the proper Arab league thread stickied as well or instead if you only want one of threads at the top :biggrin:
Original post by Moleman1996
Could we get the proper Arab league thread stickied as well or instead if you only want one of threads at the top :biggrin:

That thread was just about the formation. Is there anything in there actually work keeping? If so that can be moved here individually. Generally though I'm not sure it's necessary to pin the whole thread.
Have a look and see what if anything you wish to save from that thread.
Reply 12
That thread was just about the formation. Is there anything in there actually work keeping? If so that can be moved here individually. Generally though I'm not sure it's necessary to pin the whole thread.
Have a look and see what if anything you wish to save from that thread.

Good point, just gonna rename this one.

EDIT- This sounds really stupid, but is it possible to rename this thread to just "Arab League"? like the old one? I don't think I can do it, but being a mod you probably will if its possible :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
tenbinza
QFA

missbanana21
QFA

Think we should start a vote between all the countries for the observer nations? Just thought it would be a good idea to do that seen as 3 or 4 have already asked us to in the other thread.
(edited 12 years ago)
QFA

I've renamed the thread for you.
Also I edited your above post because your hadn't quoted missbanana properly.

I'm surprised you were unable to rename this yourself. Anyway like I said, if you find anything in particular from the other thread you would like moved here you can either repost it or I can try and move that post here or get a MOD to try and do it.

:yy:
Reply 15
I've renamed the thread for you.
Also I edited your above post because your hadn't quoted missbanana properly.

I'm surprised you were unable to rename this yourself. Anyway like I said, if you find anything in particular from the other thread you would like moved here you can either repost it or I can try and move that post here or get a MOD to try and do it.

:yy:

Ha ha, thanks, and I probably could have done, i just couldn;t find the button this morning :colondollar:
Ha ha, thanks, and I probably could have done, i just couldn;t find the button this morning :colondollar:

No problemo :yy:
Think we should start a vote between all the countries for the observer nations? Just thought it would be a good idea to do that seen as 3 or 4 have already asked us to in the other thread.

Yes, sounds like a good idea :smile:
Algeria grants each and every member of the arab league and hopes that this blessed union will contribute to create a wider workground...
Saudi Arabia welcomes the formation of the MUN Arab League and would like to become a member.