The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The-Lennon
how much is it roughly per year, including text books and other essentials

btw i mean under the old tuition fee system (i.e without top up fees)

im trying to work out how much my mates degree is costing

My friend's doing medicine at UCL, she's in her second year. The degree costs £1,270 per year. Her most expensive textbook was about £200 I think, but she was extremely shocked at that!

Other than tat she had to buy a stethoscope which was £155.

Why don't you just ask him to calculate the figure for you?!
Reply 2
The-Lennon
how much is it roughly per year, including text books and other essentials

btw i mean under the old tuition fee system (i.e without top up fees)

im trying to work out how much my mates degree is costing

try the medicine sub forum for some better help! :smile:
my 3 pre-clinical yrs cost me about 5,000 a yr, that's without any additional luxuries like drinking, going out lots and equipment. including that prob like 5500 a yr. for the 3 clinical yrs, i expect it to cost around 7500 a yr, at least. so the total i will have spent in all will be around 35k
Reply 4
justbrowsing
My friend's doing medicine at UCL, she's in her second year. The degree costs £1,270 per year. Her most expensive textbook was about £200 I think, but she was extremely shocked at that!

Other than tat she had to buy a stethoscope which was £155.

Why don't you just ask him to calculate the figure for you?!

155 quid?! I brought a littmann classic and it was only 50!
Reply 5
Yeah my steth was about 50 or 60. Does the job! I will no doubt be treating myself to a fancy one when i qualify, but no need for a good one as a student! And £200 for a textbook? My most so far has been about £40 i think - thought I have spent about £300 in total in a year and a bit.
Reply 6
smileymedic
Yeah my steth was about 50 or 60. Does the job! I will no doubt be treating myself to a fancy one when i qualify, but no need for a good one as a student! And £200 for a textbook? My most so far has been about £40 i think - thought I have spent about £300 in total in a year and a bit.

maybe they bought Grays................although chritst knows why you'd want to lol!
Reply 7
Argh! I can't think of much worse than Grays!
Why does Grays have this big rep if it's really bad?
friendlyneutron
Why does Grays have this big rep if it's really bad?

It's not bad, it's just that it has an insane amount of detail, far more than anyone needs.
Reply 10
Golden Maverick
It's not bad, it's just that it has an insane amount of detail, far more than anyone needs.

very true - its actually an extremely good text book....................just reading it makes your brain die lol
There probably isn't a better anatomy textbook in the world in terms of detail, but its just ridiculously hard to read! And there is way more detail than you will ever need to know, so not much point frying your brain attempting to learn it! Moore and Agur all the way!
Reply 12
smileymedic
There probably isn't a better anatomy textbook in the world in terms of detail, but its just ridiculously hard to read! And there is way more detail than you will ever need to know, so not much point frying your brain attempting to learn it! Moore and Agur all the way!
or Moore and Dalley :smile:
Reply 13
I dont really want to think about the total cost really. I'm spending far too much. Havnt got a stethie yet but will defiantly be buying the old litmann classic for about £46. No need for anything else.
Do the BMA not have some offer on Littmans when you first start med school? Or am I thinking of something else ...
Reply 15
friendlyneutron
Do the BMA not have some offer on Littmans when you first start med school? Or am I thinking of something else ...
yup - if you sign up witht hem at freshers fair you get it for about 35 squid
Reply 16
yep indeed. but for some reason I didnt buy one. slightly annoyed now but i might try and pretend to be a fresher next year
Reply 17
Anathema
yep indeed. but for some reason I didnt buy one. slightly annoyed now but i might try and pretend to be a fresher next year
worth a try! They woldn't let me sign up even though I was about to pretend to be a medic co I got outed by the physio standing next to me lol
Anathema

*is all giddy at the prospect of being a fresher in less than 9 months time!* :teeth:
Reply 19
JackieS
or Moore and Dalley :smile:

^^^ That's my fave. For some reason I bought Martini though!

Latest

Trending

Trending