The Student Room Group

PPE offers for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by Nerdy03
PPE offer from York!:smile:

Oh yeah York vs. Warwick is a good question, what do you tsr people think?

Warwick is better known abroad, I can confirm that.
Offer from nottingham for philosophy and economics last night.
Reply 242
Still no offer from York :frown:
Reply 243
Original post by Eldedu
Warwick is better known abroad, I can confirm that.

Hi,
I appreciate that you are a foreign applicant but how exactly are you sure that Warwick has better international recognition over York? Also, what do you know of Durham's reputability abroad?
Reply 244
how many people have PPE offers from durham?
Reply 245
oh and also warwick?
Reply 246
:mad: got that smashing email from warwick, saying basically theyll get back to us by the end of march - thanks for clearing that up admissions office! gah
I think it's better than nothing :smile:
And one email is ok compared to the three I already got from Exeter, saying they're still considering my application. I nearly died each time :biggrin:

Original post by prema32
:mad: got that smashing email from warwick, saying basically theyll get back to us by the end of march - thanks for clearing that up admissions office! gah
Reply 248
Original post by Phia7
And one email is ok compared to the three I already got from Exeter, saying they're still considering my application. I nearly died each time :biggrin:

Perhaps :smile: still leaves me dumbstruck how they are so much later than other unis! and three?!?! Thats so annoying! I know, when I got the email I was like coehfoihnskjnxiueuhisHUH!
Reply 249
Offer from York a week ago. 18 points in the swedish high school.
Original post by Phia7

What course are u doing in exeter?
Reply 251
Original post by ehirst
Hi,
I appreciate that you are a foreign applicant but how exactly are you sure that Warwick has better international recognition over York? Also, what do you know of Durham's reputability abroad?

Hi,
In my personal experience, whether it is acquired through conversation with employers, league tables, or just fellow applicants and uni students (of which I know a diverse and multicultural number, from Zimbabwe to Nicaragua to Hong Kong and back, thanks to my nomadic lifestyle) York and Durham are at least equally well regarded by all those with some link to the UK, but Warwick is hugely well known for anything economics related internationally, from Asia to the States and especially in the Arab nations, whereas Durham and even York are relatively obscure. Not worse, mind, just less well known, and in terms of degree portability that's equivalent to being less esteemed.

I'd like to point out that I'm applying to Durham and York and not Warwick because I personally prefer the former two. But amongst everyone I've met and discussed the matter with, over every continent and socioeconomic situation, Warwick is a big name, York is more or less recognized but not praised, and Durham elicits a "Where?"

So whilst my personal preference is Durham > York > Warwick I'd say in terms of reputation outside of the UK they rank in the opposite order, especially as concerns an economics related subject like PPE
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 252
Original post by Eldedu

Original post by Eldedu

So whilst my personal preference is Durham > York > Warwick I'd say in terms of reputation outside of the UK they rank in the opposite order, especially as concerns an economics related subject like PPE

Hi,
Thank you very much for such a comprehensive reply!
I think that the 'not Oxford' options are generally very hard to pick between given their various and differing strengths / weaknesses, but thank you very much for providing another side of the argument. The more opinions the merrier!
Personally I wasn't so sold by York, mainly as a relative of mine read Economics (and a language there) and said that the economics department was somewhat a shambles.

There is a difficult choice to make between Warwick and Durham. I am from the backward end of South Devon, so going somewhere that is a little more lively and less of a bubble is a big selling point for me, and given Durham's proximity to Newcastle I was hoping this would be the case. I have now heard from a number of people that Durham is no melting pot, and has a 'public school boarding house' feel which is off-putting. Equally, Warwick seems a little isolated. There is little to tell between all three as regards to league tables / departmental strengths etc etc, as they all seem to cancel one another out. So it's looking like at the moment (Warwick = Durham) > York personally, but given your reports on Warwick's international rep, it may be in chronological order!

Thanks again!
Reply 253
Original post by ehirst
Hi,
Thank you very much for such a comprehensive reply!
I think that the 'not Oxford' options are generally very hard to pick between given their various and differing strengths / weaknesses, but thank you very much for providing another side of the argument. The more opinions the merrier!
Personally I wasn't so sold by York, mainly as a relative of mine read Economics (and a language there) and said that the economics department was somewhat a shambles.

There is a difficult choice to make between Warwick and Durham. I am from the backward end of South Devon, so going somewhere that is a little more lively and less of a bubble is a big selling point for me, and given Durham's proximity to Newcastle I was hoping this would be the case. I have now heard from a number of people that Durham is no melting pot, and has a 'public school boarding house' feel which is off-putting. Equally, Warwick seems a little isolated. There is little to tell between all three as regards to league tables / departmental strengths etc etc, as they all seem to cancel one another out. So it's looking like at the moment (Warwick = Durham) > York personally, but given your reports on Warwick's international rep, it may be in chronological order!

Thanks again!

Glad I could help.

Bear in mind that international reputation is quite key for me because I have no idea where I'll end up working and so need a degree that I can take with me anywhere and remain competitive with, depending on your personal life goals international reputation can even be seen as an irrelevant factor. The inside knowledge you obtained from your relative for example, or the desire for a melting-pot to broaden your experience, are probably more valid deal breakers for the average student, and in those areas there's nothing I can contribute that you won't already know.
Reply 254
Original post by tussanfr
Offer from York a week ago. 18 points in the swedish high school.

Same, 18.0. Just got an offer from Lancaster in the post too but UCAS hasn't updated yet..
What offers were you expecting to get from your other choices? I heard 19.0-19.5 for Warwick/Durham..
Reply 255
Original post by Stenbom
Same, 18.0. Just got an offer from Lancaster in the post too but UCAS hasn't updated yet..
What offers were you expecting to get from your other choices? I heard 19.0-19.5 for Warwick/Durham..

No idea tbh. Good luck though, I've heard some great things about York PPE. Might be seeing you next year!
Offer from Exeter for Philosophy and Political Economy!
Not too enthusiastic as it's my last choice but HEY: Someone wants me :woo:
Reply 257
who is still waiting to hear from durham?
Reply 258
me! And warwick :frown: ( and st. andrews econ and IR)
Offer from Wawick :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending