The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Queen Mary or Royal Holloway?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by D0LLxo
Hi guys, I'm torn between Royal Holloway and Queen Mary to study Bsc Psychology.

I love the location of QM, it seems pretty more active than Royal Holloway in terms of social life and student union etc. but the thing that really puts me off Queen Mary is the fact that the Psychology course is really new! Will this put me at a disadvantage?

At RH, they have facilities like MRI scanners, EEG's etc. whereas I don't know if QM have similar equipment.

Plus, QM are strong in subjects like English, Medicine etc. and I'm worried that they don't really focus as much on the "new" psychology students, so maybe we won't have as much career/employment events and stuff for us.

Do you know or are you a QM Psychology student? What is it like studying Psychology at Queen Mary? Please, I need some advice!! Thanks in advance.

think we have eeg meg stuff but im doing linguistics...:tongue:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 21
I hope they do! Haha, thanks for your answer anyway :smile:
Queen Mary is like a heavenly little island bang-smack in the middle between east end poverty and West End affluence, whereby you can easily access either with but a touch of an Oyster Card.

Truly in the middle and truly middle-class. Almost the very definition of it.
Original post by IndreOK
Hey guys,
I saw this thread and it was really interesting to read it, found loads of useful information here :smile:
I have an offer from QM for law. Since I've been rejected from my other choices (KCL, Ox, LSE), I'm thinking of either firming QM or taking a gap year and trying to reapply the next year.
Could you give me some advice about what to choose?
Thank you. :smile:

Did law there. Would recommend. Don't take a gap year for application reasons. I had LSE, but wanted Oxford; reapplied and got rejected from both!

Good points:
- As rigorous a course as any other good university (that includes Oxbridge).
- Good teaching
- If you are proactive in wanting help, you'll get it.
- Campus university in London. Best of both worlds.
- Strong law societies. Lots of vac schemes available internally from various societies. I didn't get my training contract through this, but I met a contact through one of the societies who helped me out with the application process...

Negatives:
- It is hard work. Some people manage to have a social life, some don't.
- If you don't seek help and have difficulties, it's easy to slip away, fall behind and do badly. This is the case everywhere probably outside of Oxbridge.
- All the law students I've known from QM are lovely. Paradoxically there is a very competitive and cut-throat atmosphere around the law school sometimes.
- If you don't join societies/know where to go, London can be depressing. As Stephen Fry said, 'the only ugly things you will ever see when you look out of the window are things made by man'.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by catoswyn
No, have left. Careers service was okay but none of the university services are great to be honest. They tend to offer generic advice rather than the stuff you really need. I did English though so I don't know about Psychology as such.

My experience of Royal Holloway was negative (as I say this is not everyone's experience). It was not because of the course which was fine.

a). The college is on the top of a big hill. To reach Egham is a trek. In the deep of winter its a nightmare. Egham is essentially a commuter town and there's nothing there. The train to London is on the Waterloo line which is very slow. If you have a car then RHC is probably fine but without it then it can feel very isolated.

b). The surrounding area is expensive to rent in for the second and third years. I know London itself is too but at least there's more of a choice and you get the London weighting to help.

c). On campus night life is okay but its limited.

d). Its popular with richer students who didn't make Oxbridge but still want a quad therefore its a bit homogeneous in terms of student attitudes with a pre-ponderance of students who are conservative with both a small and large 'C'.

I came from a city to RHC and was shocked to discover the lack of services in a country area. Obviously others may want this country experience so RHC would be great for them.

Hope this helps....

Great post, I'm choosing between RH, QM and Sussex to do English and i found the RH students rather up themselves when I went on the open day as well. This was only confirmed when found myself with some on here... they really are the ones who ever made it haha. I might still use it as a back-up though just because the grounds are so pretty :smile:
Original post by HighestKungFu
Queen Mary is like a heavenly little island bang-smack in the middle between east end poverty and West End affluence, whereby you can easily access either with but a touch of an Oyster Card.

Truly in the middle and truly middle-class. Almost the very definition of it.

Do you go there? What's it like, i never got to look around it properly on the interview day because they over ran :rolleyes:
I know the area is pretty bad though, but it's the Uni you go to not the location :smile:
Reply 26
WOW!
i have been think the same question as well!!!
only my course is economics.
Seriously confused which to choose both course structure's fascinate me. location is the problem for me for royal Holloway but still very torn !!!!

and OP have you gone to the open day for queen mary? i'm sure you would be able to ask questions regarding equipment and support for the course
Original post by Forget that
Do you go there? What's it like, i never got to look around it properly on the interview day because they over ran :rolleyes:
I know the area is pretty bad though, but it's the Uni you go to not the location :smile:

I went there yes for undergrad. The area isn't really bad at all, and as I said it's right in the middle in terms of either going to the east end or the west end so it really is a great location.
Original post by HighestKungFu
I went there yes for undergrad. The area isn't really bad at all, and as I said it's right in the middle in terms of either going to the east end or the west end so it really is a great location.

Thanks, yeah sorry i never read your signature till after i posted :redface:
Yes London is a great place even though i live here i still want stay
Reply 29
Original post by Rancorous
Did law there. Would recommend. Don't take a gap year for application reasons. I had LSE, but wanted Oxford; reapplied and got rejected from both!

Good points:
- As rigorous a course as any other good university (that includes Oxbridge).
- Good teaching
- If you are proactive in wanting help, you'll get it.
- Campus university in London. Best of both worlds.
- Strong law societies. Lots of vac schemes available internally from various societies. I didn't get my training contract through this, but I met a contact through one of the societies who helped me out with the application process...

Negatives:
- It is hard work. Some people manage to have a social life, some don't.
- If you don't seek help and have difficulties, it's easy to slip away, fall behind and do badly. This is the case everywhere probably outside of Oxbridge.
- All the law students I've known from QM are lovely. Paradoxically there is a very competitive and cut-throat atmosphere around the law school sometimes.
- If you don't join societies/know where to go, London can be depressing. As Stephen Fry said, 'the only ugly things you will ever see when you look out of the window are things made by man'.

Thanks a lot! Your reply was really helpful and informative :smile: Good luck with your career as a lawyer!
Reply 30
QMUL, however the location isn't as nice as RHUL it's up to you but I personally think QM has the edge
Hi,

How was the transfer? Was is seamless? What was required?

Thank you,

Shara
Original post by far away
I had the same dilemma and chose Royal Holloway in the end. It was the biggest mistake I made, transferred to Queen Mary in my second year and have been much happier since!

Hi, I've got an offer from Royal Holloway but I spoke to head of film (as I'm doing film) in queen Mary asking with my grades, would they be able to accept me and they said yes. But I'm almost about to start uni so I was wondering is transferring uni a difficult thing to do? I mean is the process difficult because I really think transferring would be convenient for me and I would like to go Queen Mary over Royal Holloway, Thanks!
Hi everyone! Thanks for an interesting thread! I am also deciding between QM and RHUL, and I'd be moving over from California. QM will be FAR more expensive due to location and they don't have the gorgeous campus that RHUL has, but the school is in the top 100 in the world. I'm pretty torn whether to choose more student debt and a better school or a roomy 2-bedroom for me and the fiance in rural Egham, ha!
Original post by IndreOK
Hey guys,
I saw this thread and it was really interesting to read it, found loads of useful information here :smile:
I have an offer from QM for law. Since I've been rejected from my other choices (KCL, Ox, LSE), I'm thinking of either firming QM or taking a gap year and trying to reapply the next year.
Could you give me some advice about what to choose?
Thank you. :smile:

I'd take a gap year if I were you, particularly if you want to enter the legal profession. It's not that QMUL doesn't send people to firms/chambers, it's just that other unis send more.

EDIT: WHY IS THIS THREAD SO OLD AHHHH
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by entangledhere
Hi everyone! Thanks for an interesting thread! I am also deciding between QM and RHUL, and I'd be moving over from California. QM will be FAR more expensive due to location and they don't have the gorgeous campus that RHUL has, but the school is in the top 100 in the world. I'm pretty torn whether to choose more student debt and a better school or a roomy 2-bedroom for me and the fiance in rural Egham, ha!

QM is literally only 1 place above RHUL in the most recent university rankings; at 33rd and 34th according to CUG, there's nothing separating them.

They're both solid universities and UoL, so honestly - choose the university you personally prefer, forget the stuff about QMUL being the "better school" - it's the laughing stock/buttmonkey of the Russell Group alongside Liverpool, from what I've heard, whilst RHUL was a firm member of the 1994 Group. Different viewpoints! Potato potahto.

Location, course details, campus, atmosphere, accommodation - these are the things that should be influencing your decision!
I went to both open days a couple of years back. I've currently got offers to study English at both RH and QM. I absolutely love the clean and quiet campus/ location of RH, whereas QM not so much; its a bit run-down and a bit too urban for me. Never liked Mile End Road.
OK, so I know you're studying Psychology and I don't know much about your course, but on the basis of QM's reputation as a RG university, I would choose them. If QM is regarded as a RG Uni for the quality of their research, they must be a well equipped in order to carry out their leading research. Regardless of your course being new, it would be a serious disservice to students if QM created a course without proper study equipment/ resources. Also, the quality of your degree would be stronger. I think QM is definitely the safer option.

You can also email their admissions office/ Science department. I've emailed many times in the past about almost everything, and they're always willing to answer fully- because its your place they're trying to earn. :smile:

**Oh and DON'T listen to people^ saying that QM is like a 'fake' RG Uni. It's a world renowned and respected RG Uni and that's the fact of the matter. Only idiots over-analyse the facts.

***and for the same reasons I outlined to you, I'm leaning more towards QM for English (plus its only 25 min away by train for me).
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending