The Student Room Group

Maths or Physics

Already down for..

English, Biology, History and Economics.

Maths v Physics? Any advice..

I'm probably a bit better at physics and enjoy it more, but maths would give me more options in the future. Anyone who has done either ( or both ) could you please say how hard they are.. etc :smile:

Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
I find maths easier than physics but that's probably because I done better at standard grade with maths. Surprisingly, a lot of the higher physics course isn't calculation based and I personally hate the 'explain/describe' questions.
Maths feels like it isn't going well but come february you'll be surprised at how much it all begins to click. Physics tends to, for me, slosh about in my head and not come to anything. I know the correct information, but not why it's correct.
I'd say there's maybe a little more conceptual difficulty in maths, although the two are pretty similar, and equally susceptible to the 'blindly apply procedures and get a decent grade' approach. What do you fancy doing at university? My inclination would be to say 'do maths', since it's the more general of the two.
Like my contemporaries, I'm inclined to say 'do maths'. Higher Physics doesn't rely on mathematical ability at all, it's really just plug 'n' chug with the formulas to get the answer you want - so don't feel like you'll lose out on that front.

Mathematics has a wider range of applicability and I'd say would improve your application more than Physics would, but for me; I don't find one harder than the other. So it's going to come down to which you would feel benefits you more, besides, surely you can do one in S5 and the other in S6?
Reply 4
Original post by TheUnbeliever
I'd say there's maybe a little more conceptual difficulty in maths, although the two are pretty similar, and equally susceptible to the 'blindly apply procedures and get a decent grade' approach. What do you fancy doing at university? My inclination would be to say 'do maths', since it's the more general of the two.

Economics/finance.. or environmental science.

So they'd both have a similar amount of relevance I think
Reply 5
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Like my contemporaries, I'm inclined to say 'do maths'. Higher Physics doesn't rely on mathematical ability at all, it's really just plug 'n' chug with the formulas to get the answer you want - so don't feel like you'll lose out on that front.

Mathematics has a wider range of applicability and I'd say would improve your application more than Physics would, but for me; I don't find one harder than the other. So it's going to come down to which you would feel benefits you more, besides, surely you can do one in S5 and the other in S6?

I think that'll be my best option, man. Maybe do physics in s5 as I'm slightly better at it, and then have a crack at maths in s6 :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest