The Student Room Group

Entry Requirements For IB and A Levels

Hi, I am currently not studying.My question right now is for myself as I am interested in pursuing IB/A-Levels. The dilemma for me right now is making a decision between the two.My siblings have done A-levels and both got pretty different results so I am slightly more familiar with Alevels.What I'm concerned about now is the level of difficulty of both courses as well as whether doing IB is worth it?If i make any harsh decisions now without considering doing more research my ass will be screwed!anyways concerning the Entry Requirements for Engineering , I was wondering which would be better? I know doing IB has it advantages over A-Levels but is all the extra workload worth it?
It's sort of mixed~ A lot of people say IB is a lot harder than the A levels (coming from people who actually do them) but I know a real life friend who went from IB to A levels and she believes that they are both equally tough. As long as you go for either one that's fine.

In IB you have to do a lot of work though. Managing clubs, starting your own activity, doing a four thousand word essay with lots of research into it. The exams are extremely tough in my opinion, but that's maybe because I'm just dumb (LOL jk jk). I've studied for these mocks and I'm really suffering though, if I tried to "Wing it" like my IGCSEs, chances are I'll get all Es and Fs LOL. Don't do that, whatever you do. I'm really serious, it's impossible. Don't think you can wing it like your IGCSEs because you cannot, unless you've been studying since day 1 or have an invisible iPhone or have a Mirai Nikki (Anime reference...anyone? No?)

There were people in my school who's done really well in IB though, so well that they're got scholarships everywhere. One girl even got a scholarship to Yale. Amazing.

If you like work and if you're those people who would like to be the very best like no one ever was and if you're extremely confident you're an A+ student, choose the IB. Believe me, the IB stuff are nothing like the IGCSEs or the O levels. If you're a person who just wants to fit into a good University and manage to squeeze into one of those top universities, go for A levels.
Reply 2
IB is more workload, but consider that unless you have no idea what you're going to pursue in university, a lot of that workload is complete rubbish. TOK, EE, CAS, compulsory English, foreign language and -yuck- compulsory Math- these things make the IB a less than enjoyable experience if you're not into them.

Do yourself a favour and take A-levels. I think it's much better to study 3 subjects that you love in depth rather than cover 6 subjects, half of which you probably won't even like, plus the additional nuisance of TOK, EE and CAS.

Of course you might be one of those people who are all rounders- if that's the case by all means consider the IB. I personally found TOK and EE fun but hate Math so IB is a very mixed bag for me.
Reply 3
From my experience, it depends where you want to go for university. Im in my final year of the IB and i think that it depends on where u want to go for university.

US = AP + SAT/ACT
UK = A-level
Undecided/Both = IB
For engineering, you need both physics and maths at IB higher level, I did them both and I can tell you that they are not as in depth as A level, especially for maths which means that it would place you at a slight disadvantage during your first year. But in terms of university application, IB can really make you stand out if you are a well rounded person who are good a wide range of subjects, otherwise, A level would be a better choice.
Original post by spontaneousma
For engineering, you need both physics and maths at IB higher level, I did them both and I can tell you that they are not as in depth as A level, especially for maths which means that it would place you at a slight disadvantage during your first year. But in terms of university application, IB can really make you stand out if you are a well rounded person who are good a wide range of subjects, otherwise, A level would be a better choice.

IB HL maths and physics isn't as in depth as A-level maths and physics?

In terms of choosing between IB and A-levels my best tip would be to ask yourself what you want to study at university. If you can answer it with something like economics, physics, medicine or whatever then I don't see any point in working a lot harder in twice as many subjects that aren't necessary or relevant to your future education. If you however, aren't completely decided or have a real reason for choosing the IB, like for instance if you like studying a lot of subjects including languages and maths etc. or want to study abroad in the US for example, then go for the IB.
Original post by StockholmBoy
IB HL maths and physics isn't as in depth as A-level maths and physics?

They are :yes:

If you are fairly sure of what you want to do in the future, I recommend doing A levels. imo it's treated a lot more fairly when it comes to universities in comparison to the IB (in the UK that is, abroad the IB is better recognised)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending