The Student Room Group

Calling all 2012 VetMed entry hopefuls, *VERY* Early i know!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8020

Ahh that's good! Definitely want to be in Stoke B!
Reply 8021
Original post by BeHappy
I don't have any funny stories myself...
But the vet has told me that once she had a student and although she was standing quite far away from the dog in question, when the vet emptied its (pretty full) anal glands she was right in the firing line. Needless to say, it landed bang smack on her cheek. :lol:

The vet at the practice I regularly go to has said that there have been occasions when he wished he wasn't talking when he was emptying the anal glands... (Worse than a splatter on the cheek! :eek:)
Original post by Angry cucumber
Other w/e related injuries.....

1) Whilst moving cows across concrete, cow slipped and sent a heap of cow turd into my mouth..... indescribably disgusting
2) Kicked in the hand whilst milking - beautiful hoof shaped bruise
3) A weaner bit straight through my steel toe capped, wellington toe :colondollar: Thank god I removed my foot otherwise it was "Hasta Luego my foot!!" It was only 12 weeks old...:colondollar:
4) On w/e with the vets, vet vaccinates a cat, cat doesn't like it but rather than attacking the vet it attacks me and sinks it's teeth into my thumb.... had an 8 hour wait in a and e for a tetanus shot :colondollar:

By reading the above you'd think I'm super injury prone; I'm really not :colondollar:

LOL What did that taste like? I mean, apart from tasting like S*** :biggrin:

I had my share of embarrassing moments at a zoo placement.

I was working in the Primate section, and I was walking around with a bucketful of fruits. I saw a gigantic group of tourists coming towards my direction, so I figured I should hurry up feeding the monkeys and disappear to the back. So I started walking across this moat, and mind you, the invisible pathway underwater is precarious at best. Unfortunately, there's this particular tree branch that hangs rights at the eye level (it's to prevent any daring/curious tourists I suppose) and in my hurry to get across the moat, I smash right into it (no surprise there). Naturally, all the tourists were now looking at my direction, and I was trying to ignore my throbbing head while feeling for the next foothold. Suddnely, I felt someone tugging my hair, so I tried to look, but it then tries to pull my head off. I soon realized it was an agitated hungry monkey, in full view of 20 to 30 tourists, pulling my hair out while I was stuck in the middle of a moat. :tongue:

Now I think back to it, I find that funny enough. But not the part after where I fall into the moat and appear drenched in monkey poop + mud + god knows what. :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ofssinfoxes
LOL What did that taste like? I mean, apart from tasting like S*** :biggrin:

like the smell of slurry. Just awful
Reply 8024
My main w/e injury was a bite off a pregnant meerkat that jumped from its enclosure. Blood everywhere!
There's a pair of ducks on the pond in the garden for the first time since late last summer. At least they seems to be enjoying the weather.

I love watching them. :redface:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8026
Anyone that's already at vet school, would you say it's possible to get all your EMS fitted into the easter and summer holidays and leave the christmas holidays free? I was wondering if I would be able to come home and pick up some shifts at work over christmas.
Inside Nature's Giants; The Hippo is on in 2 minutes on Channel 4 :smile:
Original post by I_like_yumyums
Inside Nature's Giants; The Hippo is on in 2 minutes on Channel 4 :smile:

Thanks for the reminder! I always forget. :redface:
Inside Natures Giants was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G :biggrin:
Reply 8030
Original post by Marley13
Anyone that's already at vet school, would you say it's possible to get all your EMS fitted into the easter and summer holidays and leave the christmas holidays free? I was wondering if I would be able to come home and pick up some shifts at work over christmas.

yes definitely!:smile:
Reply 8031
Original post by jacko111
yes definitely!:smile:

Great, thanks. :smile:
Reply 8032
I loved Inside Nature's Giants - hippos are really amazing animals. I actually bought the book recently which takes you through most of the animals they dissect - whales, giraffes, elephants, tigers and many more.
Gutted I didn't watch inside natures giants my mum turned the tele over just as it was coming over...shes not into blood and stuff :biggrin:
Original post by beccac94
Gutted I didn't watch inside natures giants my mum turned the tele over just as it was coming over...shes not into blood and stuff :biggrin:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/inside-natures-giants/4od

No excuses now :biggrin: :wink:
Original post by Marley13

Yep, you can do.

You've got 12 weeks to do in your first 2 years. Every uni will be a bit different, but you will probably have 4/5/6 weeks or so off at easter, a couple of months in the summer. So plenty of time to do 12 weeks with working at christmas. Bear in mind when exams are at the uni you are going to though. At RVC we have our exams before christmas and easter, some places might have them afterwards. EMS gets a bit tighter in 3rd/4th/5th years - so you are less likely to be able to fit paid work in around it then.
I'm in charge of the younger lambing work experience people at the farm now. It's fun but scary. It's strange being the one being asked questions. :tongue:

You can guarantee that when someone is watching, the sheep will shoot off in the opposite direction, though. One broke the bottom bar of a feeder trough/walkway trying to escape a pen a couple of days ago, two or three did a runner across the barn this morning when they were being moved to turning-out pens, one shot off down the barn and hid behind a massive stack of bales and I had to wrestle it out.

Then another one (hog having a single lamb) escaped from its lambing pen into the feeder trough, and I had to practically ride it down the feeder to the end (it was the narrowest one as well, going to have bruises all over my knees :rolleyes: ), push it through the gate then shove it all the way back across the pen again. And catch a particularly flighty hog having twins and ride that one to its lambing pen at the end. Eventful morning, to say the least.

Thank god the actual lambing has slowed down. :woo:

(But having said that, two ewes lambed while I was there yesterday, then that afternoon/last night they had eight. Maybe I intimidate them, or something. :tongue: )

thankyou :biggrin: I shall watch it after I go riding
Hey everyone,
Congratulations to everyone with offers!
I'm in the process of deciding between RVC and Bristol and was just wondering if anyone knew when applications for accomadation opened up for either/both? I really can't decide, they're both amazing places but I don't want to leave firming until really late and apply for accomadation quite late too!
I hope everyone is having a great Easter.
For the RVC interviews - did anyone else from group F3 (March 21st, afternoon) get an offer? I hope you did!
Reply 8039
Original post by goldengemma
Hey everyone,
Congratulations to everyone with offers!
I'm in the process of deciding between RVC and Bristol and was just wondering if anyone knew when applications for accomadation opened up for either/both? I really can't decide, they're both amazing places but I don't want to leave firming until really late and apply for accomadation quite late too!
I hope everyone is having a great Easter.
For the RVC interviews - did anyone else from group F3 (March 21st, afternoon) get an offer? I hope you did!

Pretty sure Bristol is 1st of June!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending