The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1480
Original post by Poppyxx
Ah ok. I think I got confused when you mentioned IB.

Well the best people to ask are Oxford

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/contact_details.html#aundergraduate_admissions

They have a whole team of people dedicated to Admissions who are more than happy to answer any question, so it'd probably be worth asking them what academic information they require for a Canadian student like yourself.

Busy time for you in Sept/Oct.

These are the LNAT timings from 2011/12 - so if you don't apply to Oxford you could delay taking the LNAT.

http://www.lnat.ac.uk/lnat-registration/law-admissions-test.aspx

But the dates are likely to be identical for 2012/13 (UCAS deadline dates rarely change)

Okay! Thanks for all the help, yeah i guess i should ask oxford, but i'm guessing they're too busy with admissions right now anyways :P
I'm interested in studying Maths and Philosophy at the University of Oxford what A-Levels are they most looking for in a list and which subjects are the very best-obviously Maths+Further Maths and what grades at GCSE and A-Level.
Reply 1482
Original post by Eddyward
Okay! Thanks for all the help, yeah i guess i should ask oxford, but i'm guessing they're too busy with admissions right now anyways :P

Just go ahead and ask them :smile: Pretty much the entire admissions process for 2012 entry is over now anyway. They'd be more than happy to help you!
Original post by Eddyward

No it's a reasonably quiet time of year at the moment - UK students are focussing on their AS levels. 2012 admissions are over, and 2013 is slowly beginning to build up.

Please please please ask them - it's the only way you'll get truly accurate information for your situation.
Original post by Poppyxx
So true. There's enough rubbish spouted on the Oxford forum as it is, but this is rubbish of a whole new level.

I'm getting tired of your 'advice'.

Are you at Oxford? Have you applied to Oxford?

No.

You haven't given any sound advice at all.

All your stuff about History is based on ONE person's experience. Perhaps your brother just didn't work hard enough at AS, thinking it'd go fine because of his GCSE. Maybe he couldn't cope with the subject beyond how it was taught at A Level. This does not mean you should be advising someone to change university path because they are 'only' predicted an A at GCSE. So much will change between now and when she applies.

History is not a very tough A Level. I dropped a one UMS in the whole of my History A Level and I didn't even do it for GCSE. Just because that girl is predicted an A now doesn't mean she won't score highly at A Level. She may be more suited to the A Level course. Her writing style will probably mature and if she's genuinely passionate about studying History at uni this is bound to show through in her A Level studies.

Those of us at Oxford/with offers spend so long having to clear up mistakes, rumours etc on these boards. At times I'm sure we make errors, but we tend to preface our answers with 'in my experience' or similar. Or "I might be wrong, but I think...". Every time a poor piece of advice is given, it has the potential to stop someone from giving Oxford a shot. Obviously one opinion shouldn't put someone off, but it plants seeds of doubt.

No one (unless there are any tutors lurking on here) can categorically say what Oxford want which is why you have to be very careful with the advice you give.

This in itself acts as better advice than a great deal of what I (and I'm sure many, many others) have read on TSR - as someone's already noted, well said.
Reply 1485
Original post by Poppyxx
No it's a reasonably quiet time of year at the moment - UK students are focussing on their AS levels. 2012 admissions are over, and 2013 is slowly beginning to build up.

Please please please ask them - it's the only way you'll get truly accurate information for your situation.

Oh wow, 2012 admissions are already over? Over here they've just begun haha...

Yeah I sent them a question on the website :smile: I hope i get a reply haha
Hopefully this will be less self-abasing than usual posts!

I want to apply for Law at Oxford, but while my grades are decent the subjects are rather wrong (well that's why I'm asking).

Math, Further Maths, Physics, Computing as A*,A*,A*,A. All of which I allready have to A-Level

Would, with decent reference and personal statement, be considered for the course? I don't have any essay subjects, and my GCSEs' are piss-poor.
Original post by anttooking

I want to apply for Law at Oxford, but while my grades are decent the subjects are rather wrong (well that's why I'm asking).

Math, Further Maths, Physics, Computing as A*,A*,A*,A. All of which I allready have to A-Level

Would, with decent reference and personal statement, be considered for the course? I don't have any essay subjects, and my GCSEs' are piss-poor.

From the Oxford Law website:
Most of those admitted will either hold or be predicted to obtain all As at A-level (or equivalent), and will already have an outstanding group of GCSEs (or equivalent) dominated by A*s and As. However our main interest is in academic promise and sometimes we may admit candidates whose existing qualifications, in our view, do not do justice to their academic abilities or potential.

[Y]our choice of subjects is your own. Strictly academic subjects matter most. Both arts and sciences are helpful. Studying A-Level or AS Law confers no particular advantage or disadvantage

So I think you'd be considered. From the sounds of it you don't meet the GCSEs dominated by A/A* requirement. But your existing A level results might make up for that, under "sometimes we may admit candidates whose existing qualifications, in our view, do not do justice to their academic abilities or potential".

Obviously you'd need to be convincing in your reasons for wanting to study Law; perform well at the LNAT; and be convincing at interview.
Reply 1488
I'm considering applying for Physics at Oxford, but I don't know if my (Scottish) Standard Grades / Intermediate 2's are too low.

As far as I'm aware they consider these qualifications as sort of GCSE equivalents - only we can only do eight. Basically, at Standard Grade I have 111222 and at Intermediate 2 (which is the same level) I have AA. So, to simplify this, I have AAAAABBB out of a possible 8As. (We don't do A* here and 1=A, 2=B). The 2/B's are in English, Modern Studies and PE if that is important.

Obviously, there are not particularly good grades. However, I am predicted to get AAAAA at Higher this year (which is the entry requirements for medecine in Scotland to put it into perspective), and hopefully can achieve another higher and AAA at advanced higher next year. Would my sg/int results be a massive disadvantage in the application process?

Why do you want to do law with those A-Levels?You have done well in maths and physics-so you should be doing Maths and Physics or maybe Computer Science.You should stick in with a relevant course for your A-Levels especially if you want to go to Oxford.You might not be good at Law-seems risky.If you wanted to do Law,Why didn't you pick subjects like Law,English and History?
Original post by Dalek1099
Why do you want to do law with those A-Levels?You have done well in maths and physics-so you should be doing Maths and Physics or maybe Computer Science.You should stick in with a relevant course for your A-Levels especially if you want to go to Oxford.You might not be good at Law-seems risky.If you wanted to do Law,Why didn't you pick subjects like Law,English and History?

Because I didn't want to study English or History, and Law is a duff subject at A-Level. I'm good at science, but I want to study Law.

I want to study law, not to go to Oxford. Obviously, I'd prefer to go to the best Uni around, and this makes a good acid test for my subject choice.
hahaha after reading all these posts I'm absolutely crapping myself :frown:(

I really want to apply for Oxbridge(more Cambridge though sorry guys haha) and I am only going to get like 5 A*'s at GCSE, a few A's and 2 B's(one in maths which I'm not happy about. 1 UMS away from an A so I was gutted and can't re sit due to the edexcel syllabus completely changing)

I want to apply for Law at Uni and was wondering whether if I got 90+UMS in all my AS, would I stand a chance to get a place if I get relevant work exp, good PS, good reference,good LNAT score, and good predicted grades?

Everyone who applies is considered by the tutors. I honestly wouldn't worry about your A-level choices. It's not at all unusual for lawyers to have only science-type subjects, and there are no required subjects for Law admission, so I don't see it disadvantaging you.

Make sure you prepare well for the LNAT - both MCQ and essay sections.
Original post by Dalek1099

and yet more rubbish from you.

He should be doing what he wants to be doing at university, which happens to be law.

Lots of people have A Level subjects that are not necessarily a perfect fit for their degree choice, because guess what... People's feelings change between picking A Levels and picking university courses.

Seriously could you please just stop posting 'advice' on this board. Fine ask questions, but continuously spouting rubbish to potential applicants is doing far more harm than good.
Original post by Poppyxx
and yet more rubbish from you.

He should be doing what he wants to be doing at university, which happens to be law.

Lots of people have A Level subjects that are not necessarily a perfect fit for their degree choice, because guess what... People's feelings change between picking A Levels and picking university courses.

Seriously could you please just stop posting 'advice' on this board. Fine ask questions, but continuously spouting rubbish to potential applicants is doing far more harm than good.

PRSOM. People: leave the advice giving to people who have actually been through the system and who thus know what they're talking about :wink:
Original post by Poppyxx
Those of us at Oxford/with offers spend so long having to clear up mistakes, rumours etc on these boards. At times I'm sure we make errors, but we tend to preface our answers with 'in my experience' or similar. Or "I might be wrong, but I think...". Every time a poor piece of advice is given, it has the potential to stop someone from giving Oxford a shot. Obviously one opinion shouldn't put someone off, but it plants seeds of doubt.

No one (unless there are any tutors lurking on here) can categorically say what Oxford want which is why you have to be very careful with the advice you give.

Would just like to add I'm in complete agreement with Poppyxx. I'm a final year undergraduate at Oxford, and during the last four years have helped at numerous Open Days and been an Interview Helper. If you have a question about Oxford, ask Admissions or, better yet, go to an Open Day and ask there! I can't stress this enough: every department has different requirements and expectations, and every single one of them will look at you as an individual - not just a number of GCSEs or A levels. Just because someone is at Oxford, has been at Oxford and has been offered a place at Oxford does not mean they know what they are talking about. Yes, they can talk about their experience but even tutors can't always answer questions about admissions to other departments.

If you're an Oxford student, make clear you're only speaking about your experience. If you're a potential applicant with questions, ask Oxford. Please stop scaring yourselves and other people.

Oxford may not be for everyone, but I, personally, have had a great experience and would recommend anyone who's interested to go to an Open Day and see if it's for them. :smile:
Original post by bilal95
Hi I may apply to Oxford for maths and computer science and these are my grades:

- 9A*s (chemistry, physics, biology, maths, additional maths, english language, english literature, ICT, RS) 3As at GCSE

- I have done half of my AS exams in January and will be sitting the rest in June. Grades so far:

Maths core 1 95/100 A
Maths core 2 91/100 A
Maths mechanics 1 97/100 A
Chemistry unit 1 112/120 A
Physics unit 1 106/120 A

I have received a Gold award in the UKMT intermediate challenge.
I have done about a months work of charity and have worked for a month in the finance department at SHELL (Oil Company)
I am currently in the process of doing an EPQ in maths and computer science (applications of maths in cryptography) and will probably do a summer maths course.

I would like to know what type of grades/Ums or average I should've getting in my overall AS and also what type of predictions I should be looking to get? (I have been told that most students require an average of 90% to stand a good chance at a course like this)
What extra things should I be doing?

And in general, how hard is this course to get into and with sufficient revision, is it possible to do good in the maths aptitude test (MAT)? Lastly, can one also get the required STEP grades with ample revision?

I really appreciate the help and would really like to hear everyone's frank opinion.

this bits underlined and emboldened dont actually apply to Oxford, they dont ask for UMs and they dont require step,

in terms of the MAT, ive been told its c1/c2 material but more 'in-depth' and that knowing those modules and doing pas papers will help.

Grades-wise, yours are very good :smile:

im not at oxford, so everything ive said is what ive been told, you might want t wait for a reply from one of the mathmos or from a computer scientits (fluteflute has an offer for this year (joint schools with philosopy) and is very helpful :smile:) i think you have very similar GCSEs to him if that helps
Original post by bilal95
Hi I may apply to Oxford for maths and computer science and these are my grades:

- 9A*s (chemistry, physics, biology, maths, additional maths, english language, english literature, ICT, RS) 3As at GCSE

- I have done half of my AS exams in January and will be sitting the rest in June. Grades so far:

Maths core 1 95/100 A
Maths core 2 91/100 A
Maths mechanics 1 97/100 A
Chemistry unit 1 112/120 A
Physics unit 1 106/120 A

I have received a Gold award in the UKMT intermediate challenge.
I have done about a months work of charity and have worked for a month in the finance department at SHELL (Oil Company)
I am currently in the process of doing an EPQ in maths and computer science (applications of maths in cryptography) and will probably do a summer maths course.

I would like to know what type of grades/Ums or average I should've getting in my overall AS and also what type of predictions I should be looking to get? (I have been told that most students require an average of 90% to stand a good chance at a course like this)
What extra things should I be doing?

And in general, how hard is this course to get into and with sufficient revision, is it possible to do good in the maths aptitude test (MAT)? Lastly, can one also get the required STEP grades with ample revision?

I really appreciate the help and would really like to hear everyone's frank opinion.
Original post by tooambitious
this bits underlined and emboldened dont actually apply to Oxford, they dont ask for UMs and they dont require step,

in terms of the MAT, ive been told its c1/c2 material but more 'in-depth' and that knowing those modules and doing pas papers will help.

Grades-wise, yours are very good :smile:

im not at oxford, so everything ive said is what ive been told, you might want t wait for a reply from one of the mathmos or from a computer scientits (fluteflute has an offer for this year (joint schools with philosopy) and is very helpful :smile:) i think you have very similar GCSEs to him if that helps

It sounds like you'll be able to put in a strong application. :smile: Your GCSEs and current AS results are looking good.

Your charity work won't get you into Oxford, but your EPQ sounds exciting!

tooambitious's advice is definitely right: Oxford don't know what UMS you get (although if you post them on here, wandering tutors could see I suppose...) so get 80% (A grade) and you're fine... (but you will need to get an average of 90% in C3&C4 to get the Maths A* that you need to get into Oxford). STEP plays no part in Oxford entry.

It's the MAT you need to do well in. As long as you don't underestimate it and do some practise, you'll do fine if you're an able candidate :smile:
If I apply for Engineering, how good of a chance do I stand considering the following:
1.) I got an A at GCSE Maths, however, I took it in Year 10
2.) My A-levels choices: Maths, Physics, Geography and Economics
3.) 3 B's at GCSE inc English Lang, Lit and French

Thanks you
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
If I apply for Engineering, how good of a chance do I stand considering the following:
1.) I got an A at GCSE Maths, however, I took it in Year 10
2.) My A-levels choices: Maths, Physics, Geography and Economics
3.) 3 B's at GCSE inc English Lang, Lit and French

Thanks you

It will be easier for the people on here to answer if you post all of your subject results.

Latest