The Student Room Group

I hate my current job, confused over references etc for applying to new jobs

Here's the thing, I've been at my work (at river island) for a month now and it officially sucks. I've hated every second of it and now I want to apply for another job (at next). The hours are more suitable and the pay is better but on the online application of this new job it asks about previous experience and references from your old jobs. Should I put down river island as experience and if I do will I have to put it down as a reference as well seeing as it's my first ever job? Another thing to note is that River island require a two week notice if you decide to leave. :s-smilie:

Thanks. :redface:
Reply 1
Seeing as Next is in the same business as River Island, they won't be impressed that you ditched them (regardless of your reasons for not liking it).

I would apply for Next and keep quiet about River Island, otherwise they will interrogate you about it if you make it to interview.

I can't see River Island giving you a glowing reference either so I would just leave it off your C.V all together.
Reply 2
Original post by Aack
Seeing as Next is in the same business as River Island, they won't be impressed that you ditched them (regardless of your reasons for not liking it).

I would apply for Next and keep quiet about River Island, otherwise they will interrogate you about it if you make it to interview.

I can't see River Island giving you a glowing reference either so I would just leave it off your C.V all together.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm a bad worker (I think) my manager tells me constantly that I'm doing well etc but I feel like I was tricked. Initially I applied to be a sales assistant which technically I am but only by name. Essentially, my job is to hang clothes on the shop floor that people have tried on and don't want to purchase, and clothes and items that need replenishing. For four/five hours straight. I know it sounds easy but when the shop floor is busy (as it is now because of the sale) and you're the only person that does this (no help from my manager who is supposed to help me), running around the shop floor like a madman while the other REAL sales assistant are serving customers.....I feel like I was tricked and everyone knows it. :frown:

I sound so ungrateful right now, and trust me I know how tough it is to get a job. I started applying in september last year and got my first job in march :frown:.

But I'll go with your advise, thanks.
Original post by worker13
Here's the thing, I've been at my work (at river island) for a month now and it officially sucks. I've hated every second of it and now I want to apply for another job (at next). The hours are more suitable and the pay is better but on the online application of this new job it asks about previous experience and references from your old jobs. Should I put down river island as experience and if I do will I have to put it down as a reference as well seeing as it's my first ever job? Another thing to note is that River island require a two week notice if you decide to leave. :s-smilie:

You will be more likely to get the Next job if you have fashion retail experience. So that means you need to leave River Island on good terms, ie keep working hard, and put your notice in with the right form and time, and work your time out properly.

You also need to find a way of justifying your departure from River Island without slagging them off, or complaining, or sounding fussy or whingey. So think of a serious, mature reason that wont affect working in an identical shop! Otherwise Next aren't going to want you.
Reply 4

Having previously worked for next, I did the same thing as you are doing now despite my job title as 'Sales Consultant'. I found I wasn't serving customers but instead replenishing stock, tidying the clothes, cleaning the mirrors and changing rooms etc.

I think it really is just a experience thing... I found as I worked there longer I was put on the tills more often although admittedly the staff that worked there longer were always favoured to do the kinda 'nice' jobs.

But anyway, I think it's just a case of working your way up.. do you perhaps have a review meeting with your line manager at river island? If you do then just say you would like more opportunity to go on the tills and serve customers to build up your experience if not speak up to your line manager, can't do any harm and shows your enthusiasm! :biggrin:
This is exactly what I was thinking. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I'm a bad worker (I think) my manager tells me constantly that I'm doing well etc but I feel like I was tricked. Initially I applied to be a sales assistant which technically I am but only by name. Essentially, my job is to hang clothes on the shop floor that people have tried on and don't want to purchase, and clothes and items that need replenishing. For four/five hours straight. I know it sounds easy but when the shop floor is busy (as it is now because of the sale) and you're the only person that does this (no help from my manager who is supposed to help me), running around the shop floor like a madman while the other REAL sales assistant are serving customers.....I feel like I was tricked and everyone knows it. :frown:

I sound so ungrateful right now, and trust me I know how tough it is to get a job. I started applying in september last year and got my first job in march :frown:.

But I'll go with your advise, thanks.

Like you said, the shop floor is busy as it is sale time, they'd need people with more experience to do most of what you're really supposed to be doing in order to get as much money in the tills as possible because it is a business after all. As you're only just starting out, you still need training. I know "hanging clothes on the shop floor that people have tried on and don't want to purchase" may sound like you're not assisting on sales but you are.

Making sure that the clothes are back on the hangers properly make them look presentable and when they are put back on to the shop floor like that, people would more likely to get attracted and perhaps through that, you could turn it into sale. That's the same with replenishing, you have to make sure all the sizes are out so customers don't have to bother you or your colleagues to look in the stockroom for more sizes therefore, you can actually do the tasks set whilst possibly making sales.

And I totally agree with what threeportdrift said :smile:
Reply 6
Suitability of hours is an acceptable reason for leaving. I would still include it on your CV if you definitely want to leave but like someone else said, try and have a word with your manager about getting till trained and maybe altering your hours and if they say no or mess you about then that's a good reason to leave and you can tell other employers they weren't supporting you to progress!
Original post by threeportdrift
You will be more likely to get the Next job if you have fashion retail experience. So that means you need to leave River Island on good terms, ie keep working hard, and put your notice in with the right form and time, and work your time out properly.

You also need to find a way of justifying your departure from River Island without slagging them off, or complaining, or sounding fussy or whingey. So think of a serious, mature reason that wont affect working in an identical shop! Otherwise Next aren't going to want you.

I agree.
Reply 8

Why next i worked there as xmas temp for my first job and i hated it well i disliked it the mangers were not friendly and i was on changing rooms by my self on my second day, the pay was **** may be cos i 17 and the hours were **** maybe cos its a xmas temp but in general every thing was unprofessional which you would not expect from next the interview was so on informal she just scribe down some of my answers and she told me i got the job and i went straight into training then they told me come in on another day for training and it last all about 10sec the pay was a smambles in my opinion but hey it gave me much needed experience.

BUT PLEASE tell me about River island why do you hate it and what does a sales adviser operations have to do and is there interview different to a normal sales adviser! need to know interview in a week!!
Reply 9
Where do I get my reference from, i want to apply for my first job and have just left school? Please help me someone, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending