The Student Room Group

OCR AS Salters Chemistry F332 - Wednesday 23rd May 2012 1:30pm

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
yeah i have, the one thats split up into 5 skills? Trust me - you'll be fine, pretty easy marks :smile:
Reply 41
Got 12/12 in one titration but got like 7/12 for the other one because my teacher messed up his result (or so we believe). Everyone in my class got consistent results but him. He says he is going to re-do it, sure he is. Don't care anyway, I can afford not to do well in F332 due to high UMS so far.
Reply 42
Beryllium, magnesium, calcium, strontium, barium and radium, I am certain they will ask a question about an element or compound involving one of those.
Reply 43
Yes I have done the skills tests, tell me what you put for the answers? :smile:
Just did interpretation (I think it was interpretation) today, teacher marked it by the time our second chemistry lesson finished and told me I got a 12.

It was about oxidising and reducing. Fairly simple just memorise what colour water turns when iodine/chlorine/bromine solution is added in it same with cyclohexane and what layer should be what colour. Also there was a question at the end about writing an equation of when silver nitrate is added to sodium chloride ( I think) Mainly you just have to sample on about which one is the oxidising agent and which one is the reducing agent and then which is reduced and oxidised. Also why displacement happens- and the trend going to group 7.

That's all I can remember (sorry if it's not the right skills)
Reply 45
Anyone else abit nervous about question 5 in this? :/

What did everyone get in unit one? (Chem for life) ???
Reply 46
i mean the last question, which is usually based on the isert pre-release (it's usually question 5)
Reply 47
I got 10/12, 10/12, 10/12, 11/12, 12/12 i think :smile: skill 5 was all about ionic equations / half equations on halogens. LEARN OXIDISING POWER of halogens
Original post by westarmy
Can you please provide the links to these F331 content? Much appreciated

did you revieve the link to the F331 content if so could you somehow pass it onto me please thanks.
Reply 49
Has anyone got any possible questions that may come up regarding the advance notice on 'Plastic Fantastic'????
Reply 50
Original post by puddinboy
Has anyone got any possible questions that may come up regarding the advance notice on 'Plastic Fantastic'????

Looking at the specimen, which was also on PR stuff, id say it could ask to draw a monomer of the plastic and have a question asking to explain how the properties of this plastic make it sutible for what it us used for and also I would guess that it would ask for another use of the plastic. Most of the time, if not all, there is a long 6/5 mark question. Guessing here, it will probably ask about the different density polymers, or it could ask about the formation of polyethene.

Hope that may give an idea :smile:
Original post by david2457
Looking at the specimen, which was also on PR stuff, id say it could ask to draw a monomer of the plastic and have a question asking to explain how the properties of this plastic make it sutible for what it us used for and also I would guess that it would ask for another use of the plastic. Most of the time, if not all, there is a long 6/5 mark question. Guessing here, it will probably ask about the different density polymers, or it could ask about the formation of polyethene.

These are ideas that I had about potential questions too :yy:
at the bottom of page 2 there is a reaction involving a radical and ethene, does anyone know what kind of reaction this is?

At first i thought that its homolytic fission but i am not sure now.

Now i am thinking it is electrophilic addition. does anyone know?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by thegreenchildren
at the bottom of page 2 there is a reaction involving a radical and ethene, does anyone know what kind of reaction this is?

At first i thought that its homolytic fission but i am not sure now.

Now i am thinking it is electrophilic addition. does anyone know?

It's radical polymerisation - which is not on the syllabus so you aren't supposed to already know all the details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_polymerization
Original post by clownfish
It's radical polymerisation - which is not on the syllabus so you aren't supposed to already know all the details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_polymerization

ahhh ok. do you think they are likely to ask a question about this?

Also has your teacher been through the article with you? Mine hasn't ! :eek:
Original post by david2457

Aren't the uses of polyethene already in the article? do you think we would have to extract them from there? Also by properties do you mean flexible?

Thanks! :biggrin:
ahhh ok. do you think they are likely to ask a question about this?

Also has your teacher been through the article with you? Mine hasn't ! :eek:

Not sure what they will ask, but do revise the topic of radicals and the topic of polymerisation.

I'm not a student, but I think it's quite normal for the teachers to not go through it with you.

Best advice i can give is print off the syllabus and go through it with a fine tooth comb to check you know everything on there and then you should be fine. :smile: here's the link: http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/kd/ocr_9605_kd_gce_spec.pdf
Reply 57
We have been tought F331 & F332 so badly. The teachers have just skimmed over every topic, and we still have one or two more things to learn!!.

So yeah, you could say I'm bricking it for the F332 exam especially. Any tips on how to revise all the content, because there certainly is a lot of it! I suppose I'll be doing a lot of past papers as well!
Original post by George_
We have been tought F331 & F332 so badly. The teachers have just skimmed over every topic, and we still have one or two more things to learn!!.

So yeah, you could say I'm bricking it for the F332 exam especially. Any tips on how to revise all the content, because there certainly is a lot of it! I suppose I'll be doing a lot of past papers as well!

same, in my last few chem lessons, our teacher has made us play games using memory cards to remember the different alcohols (ethanol, methanol etc.)

anyway, i would say memorise mark schemes because the same questions come up in nearly every exam paper. It really helps when it comes to the 6 mark questions.
Reply 59
same, in my last few chem lessons, our teacher has made us play games using memory cards to remember the different alcohols (ethanol, methanol etc.)

anyway, i would say memorise mark schemes because the same questions come up in nearly every exam paper. It really helps when it comes to the 6 mark questions.

Thanks! I'll do that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest