The Student Room Group

Mature student wishing to study medicine...help!??!

I'm 32 years old, already have a Mechanical Engineering degree gained in 2001 from Edinburgh University, I also have two young kids under the age of 4, and have gone nuts and am considering studying medicine at Aberdeen University. Need to know if I can apply for medicine solely on the degree I already have (2-2 BEng MEMT), or if I need to take my highers again, how do I go about applying for the course, is there a representative from Aberdeen University or otherwise who I can talk to and help me with my UCAS application...am I crazy for doing this?? I have a number of questions and would appreciate any help and advice I can get.
Reply 1
Original post by Snx1
I'm 32 years old, already have a Mechanical Engineering degree gained in 2001 from Edinburgh University, I also have two young kids under the age of 4, and have gone nuts and am considering studying medicine at Aberdeen University. Need to know if I can apply for medicine solely on the degree I already have (2-2 BEng MEMT), or if I need to take my highers again, how do I go about applying for the course, is there a representative from Aberdeen University or otherwise who I can talk to and help me with my UCAS application...am I crazy for doing this?? I have a number of questions and would appreciate any help and advice I can get.

Hi :smile: Erm I'm not very familiar with graduate entry medicine but I'm pretty sure you would need a minimum of a 2.1 degree for most medical schools (Is a 2-2 BEng MEMT equivalent or higher than a 2.1?). I think they're a few schools which accept applicants with a 2.2 but you would need to take the GAMSAT as well. Some accept graduates from any subjects while others only accept certain subjects so it's best to check. You apply through UCAS by picking four medical schools and taking the relevant entrance exams. Graduate entry is very competitive so be prepared :redface: Again I'm not 100% sure about GEP information but perhaps you could have a look at this link

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Graduate_Entry_Medicine_-_a_guide
Reply 2
I needdd someone help//this is soo random but as you guys are like applying to medicine...do you know where i can find table and charts to provie if asprin is a wonder drug or is it over-rated??/ thanks you
Reply 3
Original post by Snx1

Most medical schools will want a 2i and won't let you compensate your 2ii by retaking your highers. You need to email the admissions departments of the the medical schools you're interested in and ask their advice for what you need to do.

The GAMSAT is an option for people with a 2ii but no medical schools in Scotland use it.
Reply 4
I take it you are not talking about a graduate entry program as I cannot see that Aberdeen do the accelerated course? I would guess that if applying for the 5 year course your A-levels/scottish highers (or equivalent) will probably be judged as your degree is a 2:2 (not sure what you have studied, is it engineering)? They would need to be comptative with other applicants. There are a couple of universities in England that take a 2:2 in any subject, but you would need to sit the GAMSAT exam as mentioned above.
Original post by Snx1

If you are intent on staying in Scotland then you need to be aware that no Scottish University does the graduate entry programme. As far as I can remember the universities look at your Highers as well as your degree. Your best bet is to email the admissions tutors of the universities that you're interested in and they will give you a better idea of what you need to do.

I was interested in going to Glasgow uni and all they wanted was a 2.1 but because my degree was older than 5 years ago they wanted me to do Higher or A Level chemistry.

If you are looking at going to England/Wales to do a graduate entry course, you will not be eligible for much financial help. I know someone at Notts who's from Glasgow and he gets no financial help.

Oh and I'm 40 and a single mum with 5 kids so its possible to do it!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
I agree, its best to contact admissions at Aberdeen directly for relevant advice. But the Scottish unis expect you to have evidence of recent study, ie within the last 5 years, so resiting your highers or by doing an access to medicine course may be the way forward.

As someone already said, there are no graduate entry programs in Scotland, but all of the Scottish unis welcome applications from graduates/mature students.

You def will need to sit the UKCAT, so you can get practicing for that.
http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=141 is a good site for info

I started at St Andrews at 32, so its never too late!
Px
Reply 7
Is your degree an honours degree or an ordinary degree? If it's an honours degree, you will not be considered for Aberdeen because they require a 2.1 or above. If it's an ordinary degree, they will consider you to be a mature student and you will need to meet either the same requirements for school leavers, OR undertake an access course.

Source:
http://www.abdn.ac.uk/medicine/prospective/planning/graduateapps/

Hope that helps!
Reply 8
Wow!! I'm nearly 40 with an ordinary degree in biomedical science from 1999. I keep thinking I wish I'd done medicine. I've 4 babies and wondered if it was even doable! How did it go for you?????

Quick Reply

Latest