The Student Room Group

OCR PSYCHOLOGY G542 core studies May 2012

Hey guys! Decided to create this thread as I didn't see one dedicated to this Summer's exams.

So post anything that you thing that may benefit others: case studies, techniques, tips, section A, B, C
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
BUMP
Reply 2
I have made individual flash cards of each study, which has the aim, participants, method, results, conclusions and evaluation issues. I have condensed the studies as much as humanly possible but every detail is needed tbh. I think for section B field experiments or quasi will be the main focus but may be wrong haha. :tongue: How are you revising?
Reply 3
can u plz post those rev cards? thnkx
Reply 4
getrevising.co.uk has good revision cards
Reply 5
Hiya,

I'm doing condensed notes of all the studies, I've got a separate booklet for evaluation. I'm also doing practice exam papers on section C
Reply 6
Does anyone have a prepared answer for Individual Differences Section C?
any predictions for section B?
Section B? Guaranteed Piliavin, Rodin & Piliavin. It's the only study that hasn't come up in Section B since something like January 2009?

On that logic, I'd make a safe guess that the theme for the three studies will be field experiments, so that means Griffiths and Reicher & Haslam are likely to come up too. Best not to play with fire though - learn all the studies just to be sure.

As for Section C... well, the Behaviourist Perspective is a bona-fide contender. It hasn't appeared since January 2010 and is the only approach/perspective that hasn't come up twice since the new syllabus. You can bank on OCR picking another approach from recent papers just to throw candidates off the scent, so I'm putting extra effort into Developmental and Social psychology. But again - revise them all, as OCR could be expecting students to be expecting Behaviourism and may just be super ********s and not even ask about that.
Reply 9
How the fudge is ocr psychology expecting us to understand savage rambaugh study and the rest of the studies in side out.

Does anyone have a condensed note of the savage rambaugh study?
Reply 10
Cant even begin to explain my hate for this core studies exam... I will be doing it for the third time, seriously. Fml.
Reply 11
Hi guys!

I was wondering if you guys wanted to ask each other questions on the different core studies (like they do in other threads). Right first Q:

From the study by Savage-Rambaugh et al. outline 2 methods that were used to record the lexigrams used by the chimpanzees [4 marks]
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Boqore
Hi guys!

I was wondering if you guys wanted to ask each other questions on the different core studies (like they do in other threads). Right first Q:

From the study by Savage-Rambaugh et al. outline 2 methods that were used to record the lexigrams used by the chimpanzees [4 marks]

:angry: I really hate this study but practise makes perfect, is it firstly when the chimps were indoors the lexigrams were automatically recorded into a computer, and secondly when outdoors it was recorded by hand and later entered into a computer.

I have a second question: Identify the 4 IV's in piliavins experiment (4 marks)
Reply 13
Original post by pilotantsta
:angry: I really hate this study but practise makes perfect, is it firstly when the chimps were indoors the lexigrams were automatically recorded into a computer, and secondly when outdoors it was recorded by hand and later entered into a computer.

I have a second question: Identify the 4 IV's in piliavins experiment (4 marks)

Haha, mines too! I reckon they should take that study out of the core studies.

Correct.

Hmm, is it whether the model was in the drunk or can condition? The race of the victim?

Q: Describe how the sample was recruitd in the Reicher and Haslam (BBC) prison study [4 marks]
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Boqore
Haha, mines too! I reckon they should take that study out of the core studies.

Correct.

Hmm, is it whether the model was in the drunk or can condition? The race of the victim?

Q: Describe how the sample was recruitd in the Reicher and Haslam (BBC) prison study [4 marks]

The 4 iv's were The race of victim, whether the victim was can or drunk, whether there was a model present and group size

The male participants were recruited through advertisements in the newspaper making them a self selecting sample. in total 332 responded and was reduced to 15 by a screening process involving clinical medical and background checks. This ensured diversity of ethnicity and occupations also ensured that no one with psychological disorders was involved.

Next question Outline two ways in which Dement and kleitmans study can be said to be low in ecological validity (4 marks)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
I have left it kinda late lol started writing notes today, I got all the notes I could out of the mark scheme, going to try and finish the blanks today/tommorow. Looking through the past papers Section A looks really difficult, I think I have underestimated the amount of detail you have to know!
Some section B's look really difficult to but some fairly easy, guess we gotta get lucky :P Hopefully I will memorise anything that will come up in section C at least guarentee the 24 marks there :P

Anyone got any ideas which studies are going to come up and which approaches will come up/have access to the jan 2012 paper?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
The 4 iv's were The race of victim, whether the victim was can or drunk, whether there was a model present and group size

The male participants were recruited through advertisements in the newspaper making them a self selecting sample. in total 332 responded and was reduced to 15 by a screening process involving clinical medical and background checks. This ensured diversity of ethnicity and occupations also ensured that no one with psychological disorders was involved.

Next question Outline two ways in which Dement and kleitmans study can be said to be low in ecological validity (4 marks)

One way in which this study can be said to be low in ecological validity is the participants were required to not have any caffiene or alchohol prior to the experiment, this lowers the ecological validity as the participants may usually have those substances regularly so their regular patterns are being changed.

Another way in which the study can be said to be low in ecological validity is that in the experiment their sleeping experience was changed. It was changed as they were not sleeping in their regular beds and were hooked up to equipment, this meant that the way the slept was irregular to what it usually is.

Not sure if thats right but that would be my attempt lol.
Reply 17

Gd.

The Dement and Kleitman can be said to be low in ecological validity as the participants had electrodes attached to their scalp and eyes and were asked to sleep in a laboratory (which is not in a natural setting )- both of which are unusual
Reply 18
Original post by Jenx301
Cant even begin to explain my hate for this core studies exam... I will be doing it for the third time, seriously. Fml.

Same here :| I'm doing this exam for the third time. I think I lost most of my marks in Section B.

Any tips for Section B?
Reply 19
Hi guys, was wondering whether anyone has condensed conclusion of the savage rambaugh study? Because the one in the textbook seems long.

Quick Reply