The Student Room Group

Volunteering for Samaritans

Sorry if this is in the wrong area...

I'm really keen to volunteer for the Samaritans, however, I have some mental health problems and I was wondering if anyone knew if that would stop me being able to volunteer? If anyone is a Samaritan, I would be really keen to hear about the selection process :smile:

Cheers
Hi ya!

I don't think so, however you can always apply and see what happens. :wink:
Original post by ilovelabradors
Hi ya!

I don't think so, however you can always apply and see what happens. :wink:

Thanks, I'm going to apply anyway and see, cheers :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by bullettheory
Thanks, I'm going to apply anyway and see, cheers :smile:

It should be ok although they'll probably want to know if you're easily triggered or upset by certain topics. Can be quite tough on many volunteers because they hear from people talking about suicide, rape, abuse, etc.

There's no harm in asking them though, and besides plenty of people with mental health problems become doctors and nurses so I don't see why it should be a barrier for volunteering with the Samaritans :smile:
Good luck with your application.
As long as they think you are well enough to cope with it, then it shouldn't be a problem - a couple of years ago I was going to volunteer for them, and it wasn't an issue :smile:
I went this evening to a information session, eye opening how much goes behind the logistics of how the support I give isn't on what I say but just by being there to listen to the person, ensure that they know I am there on the end of the phone and supporting them by hearing and understanding without giving my opinion regardless to their request for it as they aren't in a therapy session. Will be a challenge but I feel I am going to have to prepare myself mentally and being strong enough to cope with this future career path, as I hope to be a mental health nurse, psychologist or councellor.
Reply 7
I'm a Samaritan. They will probably ask you about your issues and discuss how you'd cope with it. Also the training is fairly intense, you would realise during training early on whether it is something you can cope with, as you are trained for the 'worst case scenarios'..

It is worth asking your local branch, and if it's something you really want to do and feel you will cope with, apply anyway.
Samaritans are always desperate for listening volunteers.
I have learnt so much being a Sam, every shift I feel I've made a small difference in someone's life, I feel privileged to listen.

Any questions I'll help as best I can :smile:
I have applied recently and been invited to an Information Session and I am very much looking forward to the experience! I hope I make it through the selection process!!

For those who already work for the samaritans, what hours do you do/do they offer? I just wondered how its structured and how many hours they generally ask of each volunteer? I work 5 days a week so I hope I can fit it in ok!

Im currently on the path of a career change interested in becoming a counselor!
Reply 9
Original post by Moonbrains
I have applied recently and been invited to an Information Session and I am very much looking forward to the experience! I hope I make it through the selection process!!

For those who already work for the samaritans, what hours do you do/do they offer? I just wondered how its structured and how many hours they generally ask of each volunteer? I work 5 days a week so I hope I can fit it in ok!

Im currently on the path of a career change interested in becoming a counselor!

Good for you! :smile:
The hours often differ from branch to branch, but on average it is 18 hours a month including an overnight, they are usually very flexible. You can book in shifts online around your own schedules too. Shifts are between 2 1/2 to 4 hours long, overnights are about 6 hours, but class as 2 shifts.. All of that will be explained properly at the information evening.
There's usually a massive difference in people volunteering, from those still studying, those in full time work, and those who are retired, which I think just demonstrates how flexible shift hours and commitment can be.
I hope it all works out for you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending