The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Damn, dat Oly strength. Off the floor quite weak but that lockout is quite insane. Very rarely see that combination.
He uses a low hip setup as opposed to the more common high hip setup. Either the lockout will be hard or breaking it off the floor will be hard depending on your setup (to oversimplify slightly.) Pick your poison.
Reply 2102
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z1h7Goe_co&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Crappy camera angle, but thoughts on form? It didn't feel great, just wondering if i am swaying forwards too much on the ascent.
Get your ass down. And break at the hips first. That's what I was taught.
You look like you're squatting a bit high but that might just be perspective.

A couple of things:
It looks as if your knees initiate the squat. You want to initiate by driving your hips back, not by driving your knees in front. If anything, focus on driving your knees out and hips back.
You may benefit from a slight heel lift.
You don't look particularly tight when you walk the bar out of the rack/start squatting. Pull the bar down into your back/deathgrip the bar. Take a big breath of air straight into your gut before each rep.
Your legs also jiggle about a decent amount, keep them tight between reps.
I like to pack the neck but lots of people don't/it seems to be personal preference.
I use low hip setup...just feels safer and I actually feel I'm getting more powerful. I just do SLDL as well to get stronger hamstrings and stronger with high hips.
That guy's setup looks exactly the same hip height as most deadlifters when the bar actually comes off the ground. Also it looks probably like one of my pulls, maybe. Don't know since I haven't seen myself do one in a while.
Surely breaking at knees vs hips depends on if he wants to do low-bar or "Oly" squat?
Original post by Michael XYZ

Damn, dat Oly strength. Off the floor quite weak but that lockout is quite insane. Very rarely see that combination.

I thought he would do 300kg fairly easy...I guess it is an older video and would be closer now.
Original post by AdaD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z1h7Goe_co&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Crappy camera angle, but thoughts on form? It didn't feel great, just wondering if i am swaying forwards too much on the ascent.

If you're going to squat to that height may as well use a box.

Looked like there is nothing terribly wrong however.
I don't know how he's gotten so crazy strong if he is natural though.

Unless tricking is the key to strength gains in which case brb trying to do flips and failing.
Original post by Michael XYZ
I don't know how he's gotten so crazy strong if he is natural though.

Unless tricking is the key to strength gains in which case brb trying to do flips and failing.

You're kind of on the right track...basically them fast twitch fibres. Look at all the light guys who.are silly strong they're usually sprinters or jumpers. They then train hard.

Basically there is 3 physical components to strength...size which most people think.is the only component, CNS and muscle fibre %. He ticks 2 of the boxes and 87kg lean at 18 isn't small.

Search for 'supersteele88' on YouTube he is taller, lighter and probably stronger. He only trains twice a week as well and his main focus is long jump.

Article confirms what I've always thought. Science is so over rated in terms of importance. Should be droppable early on like history, languages etc.

Most of science is just struggling to do overly simplfied but contextualised maths. Obviously it's different later in education. But really kids should be taught maths, literacy and a language till they're like 15. Then they can do other subjects and excel at them with a sound foundation.
Original post by JasonTerryIsMyHero
Article confirms what I've always thought. Science is so over rated in terms of importance. Should be droppable early on like history, languages etc.

Most of science is just struggling to do overly simplfied but contextualised maths. Obviously it's different later in education. But really kids should be taught maths, literacy and a language till they're like 15. Then they can do other subjects and excel at them with a sound foundation.

I think kids should just be encouraged to do what they enjoy most. Too many kids leave school/university without really knowing what they want to do, and the stupid education system in this country doesn't help. Other countries do things so much better. I love the way in the US or Australia, they take sport so seriously from a young age.
Got 1 plate strict press and a 2 plate front squat today.

Feelsgoodman.jpg...
Dat moment when your 1rm of back squat is power cleaned.

no sleep since monday due to revision cramming, had an exam went to the gym to train with an amateur junior strongman and hit some strong pbs!.... my pendlay rows are pretty strong got 90x3 with little momentum.

anyway guisee!! want a lever belt for around 30 quid any recommendations..... got a job interview at tescoo tooo for dat summer moniez
Original post by Gallium
no sleep since monday due to revision cramming, had an exam went to the gym to train with an amateur junior strongman and hit some strong pbs!.... my pendlay rows are pretty strong got 90x3 with little momentum.

anyway guisee!! want a lever belt for around 30 quid any recommendations..... got a job interview at tescoo tooo for dat summer moniez

Swan Centre?

Latest