The Student Room Group

Higher English 2012 Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dead101
I have bother papers, which one is it you're looking for? :smile:

if you could upload the questions + passage to paper 1 i would love you mate!
Reply 581
Original post by JackoGeddes
so does anyone know how to calculate it so you can factor in the 20% from folio?

this is apparently one way to do it, our teacher told us to just break it up into sections:

1. estimate what you think you have got in the folio ie 17/25 and 17/25 gives 34/50 which is 68%, the rough equilvalent of 14/20
2. estimate what you have got in the close reading and critical writing ie 36/50, 17/25 and 17/25 which gives 70/100, the equivalent of 56/80
3. just add them together: 14 + 56 = 70 which means 70/100 :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 582
Original post by LiveToSki
Is anyone else obsessively putting in the scores they think they got in the estimates calculator and get percentage..

If it remains at 65%-70% i am either a very high B or very low A

YES! Like non stop!
People reassure me. I totally muffed up :frown: I wrote question 19 on Gladiator and apparently my moral issue was Morality itself... D:
Reply 584
Original post by TheDuck!
What would you think about the chances of me getting an A if I told you that I completely accidentally missed out the very last 5 mark close reading question because I was too stupid to turn over the page?

Still have a chance!
Reply 585
I answered the essay question on "complex character adding to the impact of the poem", using Mental Cases, by Wilfred Owen. I referred to Owen's descriptions of his desecrated comrades, and how the complexity of their suffering adds impact to the poem. Since this is not technically on an individual character (i.e. plural), I was a bit concerned that I might lose some marks. Should I be? My reference looks at the soldiers collectively as a character, in much the same way you might refer to a crowed of people.

My other essay went very well I felt, as did the close reading. My mark in the folio is around 85%, so I’m hopeful that this will lift any shortfall elsewhere. Fingers crossed!

Any advice appreciated. :smile:
Reply 586
Did anyone write about Consider the Lilies by Iain crichton smith for prose, or death of a naturalist by seamus heaney for poetry?
Reply 587
Original post by Chefluigi64
People reassure me. I totally muffed up :frown: I wrote question 19 on Gladiator and apparently my moral issue was Morality itself... D:

Quite an interesting response. I don't see why this would be a problem. Morality is a very moral topic - unsurprisingly - and to deal with it in broad terms like this seems a perfectly logical approach. :cool: Don't worry.
Original post by nnnn12
Did you not think question 7 fitted in with The ConeGatherers? I wrote it on that one and about a disturbing mood :smile:

I done that and wrote about a lonely mood and mentioned the isolation of Duror and how this caused his sort of mental breakdown. Which then allowed me to explain how it highlighted mans inhumanity to man...Sound okay? :smile:
Original post by Tycho
I answered the essay question on "complex character adding to the impact of the poem", using Mental Cases, by Wilfred Owen. I referred to Owen's descriptions of his desecrated comrades, and how the complexity of their suffering adds impact to the poem. Since this is not technically on an individual character (i.e. plural), I was a bit concerned that I might lose some marks. Should I be? My reference looks at the soldiers collectively as a character, in much the same way you might refer to a crowed of people.

My other essay went very well I felt, as did the close reading. My mark in the folio is around 85%, so I’m hopeful that this will lift any shortfall elsewhere. Fingers crossed!

Any advice appreciated. :smile:

same as me mate, wrote a very strong essay on the cone gatherers which im sure will be a 17/19, however i did the sentry by wilfred owen and potrayed himself as the complex character through the phycological trauma he sustains, my teacher said it was fine but i was worried. overall it was a pretty pure essay as i was rushed for time, hoping its a 13 and the other is stronger like i said making it not overall to bad.

my close reading wasn't the best, mabye 28+ or so, and my folio is 17s+ hopefully for both giving me a solid B.
Original post by JaggySnake95
I done that and wrote about a lonely mood and mentioned the isolation of Duror and how this caused his sort of mental breakdown. Which then allowed me to explain how it highlighted mans inhumanity to man...Sound okay? :smile:

i used the feeling of 'futility' in question 5 of prose for the cone gatherers.
it allowed me to talk about how callum is futile in resisting durors evil, and can be seen through the theme of good and evil. it allowed me to talk about developed ideas i know best such as Duror potrayed as the serpent in the garden on eden - and callum as Adam who before eating the fruit was futile to the serpents minipulation and danger.
Original post by SamG95
I did it on Ralph. I basically did it as an admirable but flawed question and talked about his symbolic representation and how setting helps bring it out. Blah blah blah!

What was question 5 again?

a failure and how its done in an effective way so i said their failure to remain civilized and how it was effective because it highlighted the underlying theme of the savagery and cruelty of human nature
i used the feeling of 'futility' in question 5 of prose for the cone gatherers.
it allowed me to talk about how callum is futile in resisting durors evil, and can be seen through the theme of good and evil. it allowed me to talk about developed ideas i know best such as Duror potrayed as the serpent in the garden on eden - and callum as Adam who before eating the fruit was futile to the serpents minipulation and danger.

I didn't really have much notes on that to be honest. :P I figured I'd just stick to what I had been doing all year round ad went with the question most suited to it. :smile:
CR1.jpgCR2.jpgCR3.jpgCR4.jpgCR5.jpgCR6.jpg

Close reading, critical essays on the way xD
Someone upload paper 1 pleasssse!
Original post by Tycho
Quite an interesting response. I don't see why this would be a problem. Morality is a very moral topic - unsurprisingly - and to deal with it in broad terms like this seems a perfectly logical approach. :cool: Don't worry.

You don't think the examiner won't see where I'm coming from? Thank you anyway... :smile: Already made me feel better. My other essay, comparison poetry was strong, and the Close Reading wasn't too bad so I'm hoping for a B :P
write guys, i say we do them :biggrin:
CE1.jpgCE2.jpgCE3.jpgCE4.jpgCE5.jpg

Critical essays, sorry section E isn't super clear :P
Reply 598
Original post by lou95
I quite liked the questions being honest, the questions I did were 11. Prose Non-fiction - A Hanging by George Orwell and 12. Poetry - The Death of Marilyn Monroe by Edwin Morgan, I feel like they went well, ended up filling in the booklet and 2 extra pages, my hand is paying for it now though :frown: hope everyone feels that they done well too! :biggrin:

What did you write about for the Marilyn essay. I was tempted by it but didn't really know where to start
Someone upload paper 1 pleasssse!

See my post above xD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending