The Student Room Group

Hult and opinions on current situation

Hello there. I’m a Journalism gradute from Rio, Brazil, who actually never worked a Journalist. For the past 6 years I’ve worked mainly in the Marketing & Commercial area for media & entertainment companies in Rio.

I’m struggling professionally at the moment and one of the reasons is that I do not have an academic Marketing experience. So I started considering doing an MBA with a focus on Marketing, if possible. And I also started to consider an international one and, specifically, one that takes place in an English-speaking country.

My reasons for that:

-Having an international experience and getting to meet people from many different parts of the world, expanding my network greatly.
-I have a very good grasp of the English language and I want to be able to be independent in the city I choose, whatever that might be. That is why I’m not considering anything in France, Germany, Spain, etc.
-Having an international MBA certificate from an accredited school impresses far more than having a local MBA one that is not even featured in the Financial Times ranking.
-Already have some friends in London, which might help me getting places to live and suggestions on how to properly spend my money there.

Through EF, the language exchange program, I got to know about Hult, for they are part of the same company. Their recruiter started to tell me more about the program and I got interested. Well, as you may know already, I got accepted.

I know there are a lot of negative comments about Hult so I’m still considering. However, I’ve looked up other options and the main problem is that most MBA programs in the US or Europe are quite expensive. Hult is one that I can afford without having to do major sacrifices and is not bad listed in the FT rank.

I’m aware that Hult is overeager to get students and it’s very aggressive in their marketing strategy. But I wonder if that might be because they are relatively new and still unknown. Schools like LBS, Cass and Imperial, for instance, don’t need to do this because they have been around for quite some time and already have an established reputation.

Also, I’m not a Business, Engineering or IT graduate and I wonder if having an MBA from Hult or Imperial, for example, makes a lot of difference in my chosen field.

Do they have a poor faculty? Do they have bad facilities? Is this an overall bad investment? If I can’t afford a 50.000 or 80.000 dollars school then I should not do one at all, even Hult? Those are my concerns at the moment.
Reply 1
My personal opinion is that if you can get into LBS, Imperial or Cass, then go there. It's a painful process though, and don't expect a discount from them.

The Hult MBA tuition is 44k pounds + lots of additional fees. London is also really expensive, think along the lines of 700+ Pounds/month for a room in a shared flat.

If you're thinking about getting a job in the UK, then it is unlikely that employers will know Hult...

Btw. have you noticed that once you get on Hult's mailing list, they'll spam you for life? Try this, go to their website... soon after, you'll get mailed :smile:
Reply 2
Please, don't go to Hult. I'd be a huge mistake. You seem like a smart guy, you can do better than that. I know education in the UK/USA might be very expensive, but at least in a good university it's an investment, which most of the time pays off after a while. Whereas in a university like Hult, it's money down the drain. You'd be better of spending the money to start your own business, or whatever, than paying for the Hult degree. If I were you, I'd also consider doing a MSc in Marketing rather than an MBA. MSc in Marketing can be much much cheaper, and you'd be much better off with a MSc in Marketing from any Russell group uni, than with a MBA from Hult.
P.S. I'm not surprised Hult is highly ranked in FT, they (used to) have huge 1-page ads in the newspaper like every other day. You don't bite the hand that feeds you, that's why Hult is ranked so high.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Does anyone have an opinion on Hult's bachelor programme?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending