The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

SOASian needed! =)

Hey,

I just want to ask a SOAS student with a working login if they could download some past papers for me on BA Korean & Development Studies?
I really want to see what the final year papers look like o.O

So if its not too much trouble could you link me the following? :
- BSc Development:
- Development conditions and experience
- Theory and evidence in Contemporary Development
[taken from BSc Economics] - Comparative Economic growth in Asia and Africa

- BA Korean:
- Elementary Korean
- Intermediate Korean
- Korean-English-Korean Translation
- Composition in Korean
- Advanced Readings in Modern Korean
- Culture and Society in 20th Century Korea

If a SOASian would do this I will be sooooooo grateful!
Reply 1
I can do it for you. PM me your email.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Hi, this is a bit off topic, but I'll be taking Intermediate Korean as my floater this year if you're interested. I did elementary 3 years ago in my first year. =)
Reply 3
Original post by miniteen
Hi, this is a bit off topic, but I'll be taking Intermediate Korean as my floater this year if you're interested. I did elementary 3 years ago in my first year. =)

Thanks! Can I ask how was it, in terms of teaching, workload, classmates and all round atmosphere. Purely because my German lessons were like hell on earth and the (I can't even say teacher seeing as that implies she could teach) lady who was there in all my lessons ruined the German language for me. -.-
I just want to have an amazing teacher where I want to go to class and want to learn more...that's all :h:
Reply 4
SO ASian?
Reply 5
Original post by raerae14
Thanks! Can I ask how was it, in terms of teaching, workload, classmates and all round atmosphere. Purely because my German lessons were like hell on earth and the (I can't even say teacher seeing as that implies she could teach) lady who was there in all my lessons ruined the German language for me. -.-
I just want to have an amazing teacher where I want to go to class and want to learn more...that's all :h:

Lol. Good luck with elementary then. The level was hell. The pace was so fast. I took it as a floater so maybe it was a bit different. But d*mn, the teachers were really not that great. You should get used to self-study, I didn't learn much during the classes. I've heard that intermediate is different though, and at least this year's teacher was a lot better prepared so...
But all in all it should be ok. But when you take a language at uni, you should know that it's a lot of self-study. The teacher won't help much.

EDIT: Just wanted to add, the people on the course were great though.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by miniteen
Lol. Good luck with elementary then. The level was hell. The pace was so fast. I took it as a floater so maybe it was a bit different. But d*mn, the teachers were really not that great. You should get used to self-study, I didn't learn much during the classes. I've heard that intermediate is different though, and at least this year's teacher was a lot better prepared so...
But all in all it should be ok. But when you take a language at uni, you should know that it's a lot of self-study. The teacher won't help much.

EDIT: Just wanted to add, the people on the course were great though.

Don't worry. I assumed there would be self-study involved which I am totally okay about. I don't think anything could top German right now. But I'm much more passionate about Korean than German. There were times I would reply in Korean to a German question in class :doh: Good times...
Thanks for your insight. I'm not going this year but I'll go perhaps 2013 or 2014 entry. Damn I'll be so old...hahaha
But one last question. Everytime I go to SOAS (p.s - I've been to SOAS on official and non-official occasions, non-official = just stroll in...) and me and my friend usually leave with good laughs and smiles on our faces/awe!
And everyone we speak too is practically in love "SOAS is amazing, we love it here, you'll have so much fun"
I just wanted to ask...are they being paid? What's the reeaaal deal? [Don't get me wrong, I may as well be a student I'm that much in love with the uni] I just want to know is it all that great? Cos I got duped in my last college with the 'under the table paid college representatives' that praise the college as if it was a Jesus in the form of a college. -.-
Reply 7
Original post by raerae14
Don't worry. I assumed there would be self-study involved which I am totally okay about. I don't think anything could top German right now. But I'm much more passionate about Korean than German. There were times I would reply in Korean to a German question in class :doh: Good times...
Thanks for your insight. I'm not going this year but I'll go perhaps 2013 or 2014 entry. Damn I'll be so old...hahaha
But one last question. Everytime I go to SOAS (p.s - I've been to SOAS on official and non-official occasions, non-official = just stroll in...) and me and my friend usually leave with good laughs and smiles on our faces/awe!
And everyone we speak too is practically in love "SOAS is amazing, we love it here, you'll have so much fun"
I just wanted to ask...are they being paid? What's the reeaaal deal? [Don't get me wrong, I may as well be a student I'm that much in love with the uni] I just want to know is it all that great? Cos I got duped in my last college with the 'under the table paid college representatives' that praise the college as if it was a Jesus in the form of a college. -.-

No I don't think they get paid. SOAS is a love or hate place. You either love or you hate it. I'm not a big fan, but I realize it's the only place in the world where I can do exactly what I want to do, and to the level I want to do it at (i.e. learn 3 languages to a very high level.) I know of quite a few people who love the place, and quite a few who hate it. Those who hate it tend to be in the library most of the time though, so you might see less of them. But they do exist.
Reply 8
Pls help me some materials for teacher interview.
Reply 9
Original post by taylor425
Pls help me some materials for teacher interview.

Interview experience for your teacher position are very important. You should try to search them. Then you list teacher technical interview questions (search or from job description), most common interview questions and try to answer them. You can ref some questions as:

Tell me about yourself?
Why did you leave your last job?
What are your career goals for teacher?
What is your greatest weakness for Teacher?
How do you evaluate the success of your teaching?
What type of classroom management structure would you implement if you were hired?
What is the toughest aspect of teaching today?
What have been your most positive teaching experiences?
Could a student of low academic ability receive a high grade in your classes?
What is your system for evaluating student work?
What would be the ideal philosophy of a school for you?

You can ref more 170 teacher interview questions & answers at: azjobebooks.info/170-teacher-interview-questions or 103 common interview questions and answers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending