The Student Room Group

Job Seekers' allowance-Universal Job Match

Hi all,
I don't really understand how I apply for jobs using the new Universal Job Match System. With those that don't have the 'apply' option next to them, how is your adviser meant to know whether you have applied for them?

Regards,

Folky_Fairy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is it the same thing as Gateway?
Reply 2
It is, yes.
Reply 3
Oh Ok, I am locked out my account as I cant remember my user ID number.
My adviser just told me that she would have access and be able to see what I had applied for. I also heard you can get head hunted through it. Sorry I am not much help as I have not looked for jobs yet.
Reply 4
I tried to use it the other day- it's just awful. Most of the jobs I looked at had no apply button, and the link was broken for one of them that did :angry: so I assume on the system I haven't applied for anything.

I eventually gave up and got an interview by appling for a job elsewhere :biggrin:
Reply 5
Oh naughty Jobcentre+ staff! I don't think I'm going to register on there as the jobs that I get in my area are majority for experienced employees. Can't apply for jobs at the moment because on 3rd December my Retail course starts...
Reply 6
Im not applying for anything on there, as my adviser only said I needed to sign up. Plus I cant get into my account now anyway. It seems they still have some kinks to work out with it. I will talk to them tomorrow. Im pretty much counting on getting the job I interviewed for but Im not optimistic. I think it makes it my 5th interview in a month, yikes.
People here saying their adviser can look what jobs you've applied for. Do you see the same person every time at your job centre? I never do at mine, it's always someone different.

The only place I have an adviser that I see regularly is at my work programme place.

So who exactly should have access to my account? The job centre, when I see random people all the time. Or my work programme adviser?

I am at my work programme place tomorrow, so will try and find out a bit more about this tomorrow. But just wondering if anyone here has an info.
Reply 8
Original post by Scott_Maslen_Fan

So who exactly should have access to my account? The job centre, when I see random people all the time. Or my work programme adviser?

Well your work programme isn't the government so that only leaves one other place.
Actually, I've just been having a bit of a read on the internet and it seems people on the Work Programme may be exempt from signing up for this UJM thing as Work Programme providers haven't been told about it or something.
Reply 10
Actually, I've just been having a bit of a read on the internet and it seems people on the Work Programme may be exempt from signing up for this UJM thing as Work Programme providers haven't been told about it or something.

No one has to sign up to it but
What is meant to be the benefits of signing up for it ?

To be honest, I've looked at the site and it baffles me why they needed to change it. The old system was fine. My work programme advisor shown me how to search better for jobs on there, so I'm not reading through jobs that are no use to me.

Now it's awful. Tried a search on there on Friday, and got shown places 40 miles away from me !

Heard some people are getting told by JCP it's mandatory to sign up for it.

Couple of weeks ago, I was told by my work programme advisor that as I am a participant on the work prog the acceptability of my job search efforts is judged by them. I get evidence of this from him every 4 weeks when I sign on to show JCP. Is this still the case ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
People here saying their adviser can look what jobs you've applied for. Do you see the same person every time at your job centre? I never do at mine, it's always someone different.

The only place I have an adviser that I see regularly is at my work programme place.

I am at my work programme place tomorrow, so will try and find out a bit more about this tomorrow. But just wondering if anyone here has an info.

It's strange that you don't have one adviser. I had few different ones too, like had few appointments with like 4 different advisers until I've got the last one who is the only one at last. You can always narrow the radius on the left side of the screen :tongue: Mine is always set up for 20 miles ( I don't remember setting to 20 miles either) so I always have to narrow for 5 miles radius.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
The site is awful. I don't know why they changed it, the old one was fine.

I went on there the other day to look for jobs and jobs were coming up from the beginning of December! What use is that to anyone when the vacancy will surely be filled by now?!

I've had to sign on twice since leaving university and both times I've found a job its been off my own back, the job centre have never helped me find a job. They are completely useless in there, seems like they're so unwilling to help you and they really don't give a damn.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I don't know how to use the stupid site. I just apply for jobs on shop websites and things and I usually get a confirmation email. That way if the job centre wants proof I can just show them the emails on my phone that I have been applying for jobs but just not through their site.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had to sign up for it and the job center staff only need to use to email address that you used to sign up with and then they can login. Personally i hate the new website and i hate the way the jobcenter can check any time whether I have applied for any jobs or what I've been up to.

i like the paper method, but they stopped giving thoes out but I still do mine on paper and hand it in. The job match is useless, in nearly 3 months...haven't even had a reply for the jobs I applied for and some are listed for months and months on end when most people must have applied surely. :confused:
They are moving to the electronic system, ie universal jobsmatch as a way of having more accountability and accuracy, they can check to see what you have actually applied for, see your cv etc. In theory its good, but as with all these things its a big expensive flawed system. My experience when I was on job seekers was that there is no real pressure to get a job, you can bumble in and say you;ve been applying and thats it. Too fustrating for words.
Reply 17
They should add a feature where we could upload our cover letters. I won't get attention if I'll send CV with experience in a completely different sector than am applying for. Or I've missed something and you can actually attach your cover letter there?
Reply 18
well its mandatory now to do it, but i have applied for 300+ jobs and not one of them show up on the bit where it says what i have applied for?! Untitled.jpg job center don't know or understand anything :angry: job center know nothing....
they need to make sure it work 100% before getting job seekers to find jobs and use it!
Original post by MissTLC
well its mandatory now to do it, but i have applied for 300+ jobs and not one of them show up on the bit where it says what i have applied for?! Untitled.jpg job center don't know or understand anything :angry: job center know nothing....
they need to make sure it work 100% before getting job seekers to find jobs and use it!

That only works if you apply straight through jobmatch (ie. you have your cv uploaded). I only have 1 on mine because a lot of them want you to go through their website instead.

I hate the jobmatch system. I live in a town in Scotland where you can get the ferry to Ireland and it keeps giving me jobs in Belfast. Thanks lads.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending