The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I definitely wouldn't base your decisions on league tables. They're ok for consideration, but really you should be thinking about which one you want to go to...not be going to a uni because some random you've never met says you should.
Reply 61
G8D
Then you are viewing his image through an ignorant veil of hatred and I want nothing to do with you.

So you are telling me you're turned on by that guy? 0_0
If you base your knowledge purely on league tables, you are an idiot. But they can be helpful.
But it's just another way to increase competition between unis.
grahamB
But in terms of employment, would Portsmouth be a better option than UEA or Sussex because of the tables?

To be honest I doubt companies really look at the tables thinking they're the be all and end all either. Recruiters in companies will most likely be subjective anyway, as inevitably most people are. Reputations of unis will be much more prominent in a recruiters mind than what some table says. So your Oxbridge and your main redbrick unis will naturally be the preferred choice, or indeed whatever universities are considered renowned in your chosen field.

So to answer your question - in terms of employment, if YOU as a person stand out, have good references, a good degree result, plenty of experience etc etc then you will prosper. It's all good and well thinking about how a university will affect your chances, but you yourself and what you do at whatever uni you choose to go to are much more important.
Reply 64
League tables are for you to get a general view of where universities stands. Don't take them too literally, in the case for you studying mathematics, the mainstream league tables judge on a criteria which isn't that compatible with mathematics and therefore should be less relied on. Here's a league table which may be slightly more accurate for maths:
http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~bl/maths_league/2009/bigtable/bigtable.html
And this is where that table came from:
http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/~bl/maths_league/2009/
Reply 65
grahamB
I was looking today at the league tables for Maths.

My offer from Sussex is AAB, Exeter AAA, UEA ABB, Portsmouth BBB

Yet Portsmouth, according to the Times, is better than UEA and Sussex and only SLIGHTLY worse than Exeter?!

So in terms of employment, would it be best to go to Portsmouth over Sussex and UEA?

There are many problems with league tables in getting a general idea about the best place to go. Firstly, it is a matter of opinion as to how much weighting should be given to each thing that they measure but the newspaper does that deciding for you. Secondly, there are things that they can't measure - the social possibilities in the city and at the university, whether the type of university is your preferred kind (redbrick, campus etc), how good the accommodation and general architecture are (a bad campus can make a difference).

However you can look at individual pieces of data and if they are WAY out of each other, ask some questions about that. Are the missing pieces of data in the Maths table because those universities don't teach that kind of Maths or because they didn't want to submit that data?

Overall, Exeter has the best name for itself, followed by Sussex or UEA, then Portsmouth.

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_gug/gooduniversityguide.php
Reply 66
G8D
Not quite. But I can appreciate beauty in most of its forms :smile:

...there is a difference between beautiful and sexy.
Reply 67
G8D
Making atheism beautiful really doesn't sounds as good as sexy though, does it?

Crap doesn't sound as good as amazing.... they're still different things.
Reply 68
if you care about employment, go to exeter
Reply 69
G8D
I don't even know why I'm pretending to take this seriously.
It's just a joke maaaang.

So your sig is sarcastic?
In a word, no.
m0man
Is your sig about Richard Dawkins meant to be sarcastic? I don't get how an old wrinkly man can make ANYTHING sexy... at all...

Oh, someone's clearly never heard him speaking...
Reply 72
The MAIN FLAW in League Tables:

One year, a university is 9th place, next year, it goes to 13th place, then the year after, it goes to 11th place etc.
They FLUCTUATE in such great magnitudes.

I don't know HOW an employer can judge which is better..They surely should look at the content that the Universities teach and the general position in the league tables - i.e an average over 5 years.
There's no other accurate way to do it.
For example, Durham University for Business - their degree is relatively new, but it's relatively low ranked compared to universities at the same level of prestige. However, big 4 accounting firms warm to the content taught in the degree greatly and believe Durham University business graduates are top class.
Reply 73
Yes they do have some importance but with a small difference between your universities it doesn't matter.
I'd put portsmouth as my insurance choice as the conditions are lower just incase you really flop.
Well they're not COMPLETELY pointless...without them, someone might take a TVU offer over Cambridge because they "like the friendly staff and facilities"
Marsha2112
Well they're not COMPLETELY pointless...without them, someone might take a TVU offer over Cambridge because they "like the friendly staff and facilities"

If they like the staff and facilities at TVU and hate everything about Cambridge, maybe they should take the TVU offer instead..? Just a thought.
Reply 76
In answer to your question I don't think league tables are pointless.

They have helped me and have given me a good idea of which institutions to stay away from.
grahamB
I was looking today at the league tables for Maths.

My offer from Sussex is AAB, Exeter AAA, UEA ABB, Portsmouth BBB

Yet Portsmouth, according to the Times, is better than UEA and Sussex and only SLIGHTLY worse than Exeter?!

So in terms of employment, would it be best to go to Portsmouth over Sussex and UEA?

There's an entire sticky at the top of the forum devoted to understanding League Tables. I've moved your thread into it. Please read it :shifty:
TheSownRose
If they like the staff and facilities at TVU and hate everything about Cambridge, maybe they should take the TVU offer instead..? Just a thought.

You serious...
And for those who say "o but it's 3 whole years of your life", that's like 3/75 or 1/25th......and the career that degree will lead you to....is about half your life.
Marsha2112
You serious...
And for those who say "o but it's 3 whole years of your life", that's like 3/75 or 1/25th......and the career that degree will lead you to....is about half your life.

Yes, I'm perfectly serious. Three years is not much in the grand scheme, but it is a long time to be miserable. I've known people go from happy to taking powerful anti-depressants in less time.

Latest

Trending

Trending