The Student Room Group

Graduate Accelerated Medical Degree Entry Requirements?

(edited 7 years ago)
A 2.1 is fine, although there are (albeit very few) universities that accept a 2.2.

Open university should be fine providing there are no additional requirements regarding accumulated lab hours that you may or may not meet (e.g. Imperial).

You will probably have to sit some sort of entry exam depending on where you apply, although there are a few schools that do not ask for this. It's usually either going to be UKCAT, GAMSAT or both (depending on where you apply, again). This is not to compensate for a-levels as such, although the general trend is that if they do not ask for bio/chem at alevel, they will want the GAMSAT (with exception).

You do not have to have bio/chem A-level, although it restricts your choices without them.

Have a look at the following:
http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=11
Carmen Ranjith
Hi I’m currently doing my 2nd year in Life Sciences (Hons) in Open University.

I really want to get into an accelerated medical course. I am aware that you need at least a 2:1 in a Science related degree, but I’m not your traditional medical entry student.
I’ll be classed as a mature student (28 years old).

I’m willing to work hard to get a 2:1 at least. However, one of my worries is if they will accept Open University degree instead of the standard brick university degrees??

Also I never took any science subjects at A ‘levels which was more than ten years ago!! So I have found out that you can compensate for this by taking UKCAT and GAMSAT depending on the universities, (I want to get into either Liverpool or Manchester). Is this right?

So if I get at least a 2:1 and did well in UKCAT & GAMSAT will I have a good chance in getting into an accelerated medical course with Liverpool or Manchester???

Or would I have to take A ‘level Sciences to get in??

Thanks for any help you can provide me!
Carmen

Hey Carmen,

From what I know, having looked into the possibility myself as a graduate option, where you get your degree from shouldn't matter at all. Your degree is just as valid and worthwhile as mine or anyone elses.

I'm slightly different to you however in that I'm going to graduate with a BA not a BSc so it may vary there too.

As a general rule the accelerated programmes which I have looked at usually want at least a 2:1 undergraduate degree, however there are schools like Nottingham that will accept a 2:2.

They also like some form of work experience that shows you have considered what undertaking a career in medicine entails.

Most importantly though is the entry exam. Most of the ones I'm considering need the UKCAT however some use GAMSAT as you know. This is probably the most important aspect of your application. Everyone who applies must sit it regardless of degree and it gives medical schools an indication of your aptitude within all three sciences.

I honestly don't think the lack of science A levels will affect your application, especially if you gain a 2:1 at degree level and then get a really good score for your entrance test. I would recommend some work experience though to strengthen your application.

If your still worried then drop the medical school an email and ask admissions, in my experience they're always willing to help.

Hope this helps :smile: xx
Reply 3
Hi Mimi, Thank you so much for getting back to me. Sorry about the late reply, been trying to get the last of my assignments done! I feel like I can sleep for a year now...so very tired!

Yes I had a word with admissions in Liverpool Med and Manchester and both are ok with me doing an access course with Manchester college to compensate for not A' Level sciences. So will be applying for the medicine access course to start in next year (Sep 2011). I'm also going to get some work experience in an elderly nursing home as a care assistant, that should boost my application a little.

I do hope you do well in your degree and get into a graduate medical degree, all the best!

Carmen :-)) xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending