The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trahman
Will I be eligible for a 100% bursary?

Unlikely.

Where abouts in the country are you from? Also, do you (or have you in the last five financial years) owned any assets like a house, cars and/or have savings?
Reply 1561
Just check with my mum... aparently its 11k max.
Nope. I come from a very poor background, my father has passed away so I'm solely dependant upon my mother. She can't work (disabled) so everything she gets is through the governemnt.
I'm from London.
Original post by trahman
Just check with my mum... aparently its 11k max.
Nope. I come from a very poor background, my father has passed away so I'm solely dependant upon my mother. She can't work (disabled) so everything she gets is through the governemnt.
I'm from London.

Check your PM (I thought it best to discuss things privately rather than have your personal matters put out on publicly in the thread).
Reply 1563
Original post by BlueSkyeCloudyDay
I'm still going to apply to westminz, just to see if i can get in, then we can take it from there....? Obv, if i dont get passed the admissions tests theres nothing I can do, but if i get in, by some stroke of luck maybe, just maybe..........?

Is that the case for all boarding schools, ie. they won't pay for boarding fees just tuition?? If not, what other boarding/private schools are you applying to?

P.S.
Don't be disheartened! Westminz would have been a great oppurtunity, but you can still do really well at any good school (which I'm sure you'll get into), then we'll be here in two years' time discussing Oxbridge freshers week! You best apply to Oxbridge . . . .

P.P.S.
Am i being delusional in still applying?

I'm afraid I agree with MapleBacon. You, same as me, defo need a boarding place but could not afford the full fees. The fact is that Westminster would not provide any bursaries for boarding purposes. It's an undeniable fact that we both have to accept, unfortunately :frown:

On the other hand, if you still want to take the exams/interviews as a challenge to yourself, then why not? Being able to get through all the amazingly stressful exams and interviews is not an easy thing. It would defo be a very valuable experience and might even help you with uni applications etc.

As for other boarding schools, I can't give any advice to you. I think you should ask the schools' admissions/bursaries department before you even start to apply. Personally, I won't be applying for any other boarding schools, as Westminster was the only one in the 1st place. I will apply to other day privates or grammars near where I'm living, or I might stay at my current school (it's a private school, but the results and rankings are slipping, so I do want to leave).

Nah, I'm fine..just a little upsetting :frown: Yeah..I'll still enjoy life at other schools, of course, just thought I MIGHT get lucky and be able to get into Westminz. Anyway, Oxbridge..I really do hope I could get in..it's my next dream! :biggrin: Good luck to us both LOL!
Reply 1564
Original post by trahman
Also am I too late in applying? I didn't even go to the open day....

I wish to study Maths, Further Maths, Biology, Chemistry & French for A-Level.

Also when are the interviews and written examinations? What sort of questions will they ask me during the interview?

Nope, you're not too late, deadline is 12th October.

You can only choose to do 4 A-levels plus if you want, 1 more AS (out of electronics, music, critical thinking).

The exams are really difficult, of course. Maths & further maths - maths challenge-like papers (but no multiple choice). You do the same paper for both, you're expected to get half of the questions correct for pure maths, and all correct for further. Some current students say that you just do maths questions in the interview.
The sciences - just learn C1 and B1 and C2 and B2 for the interviews.
French - 1 piece of translation and 1 piece of composition. Interview - conversation in french of course!
General interview - asks you you want to go to Westminster, subject choices, extra-curriculars etc. General questions basically.

Exam day is 5th November and interview day is 26th November.

Hope this helps! The info I put here isn't really detailed. Check the prospectus if you want to know.
Original post by Cola_23
On the other hand, if you still want to take the exams/interviews as a challenge to yourself, then why not? Being able to get through all the amazingly stressful exams and interviews is not an easy thing. It would defo be a very valuable experience and might even help you with uni applications etc.

Just a thought and speaking from an altruistic perspective, I'd advise against going through the whole process knowing you won't be able to attend in the end, as you may be denying other students who can attend an opportunity/place. Plus, I don't know why someone would want to go through the stress, time and energy of it all; when you get to Sixth-Form anyways, you'll have intensive Oxbridge classes at most private schools :tongue:

Best of luck nonetheless Cola :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1566
Original post by MapleBacon
Just a thought and speaking from an altruistic perspective, I'd advise against going through the whole process knowing you won't be able to attend in the end, as you may be denying other students who can attend an opportunity/place. Plus, I don't know why someone would want to go through the stress, time and energy of it all; when you get to Sixth-Form anyways, you'll have intensive Oxbridge classes at most private schools :tongue:

Best of luck nonetheless Cola :smile:

okaay...maybe I shouldn't have recommended that. Just seems like BlueSkyeCloudyDay really wanted to have a go, you see. If someone wants to try, there's no point stopping her, plus I did tell her that Westminz wouldn't offer a boarding bursary.

I understand and agree with your point. As I said in previous posts, once I knew it was virtually impossible for me to gain a boarding place w/ bursaries, I decided to cancel my application! But it isn't such an easy thing to accept! :smile:
Original post by Cola_23
X

:hugs:
Reply 1568
how many people in this thread are applying for westminster
Personally I just want to apply to see if I can get in.

There is no possible way for my family to pay the truly insane price of £10,000 per term. I seriously do not understand how it costs so much.
Oh well... the sad thing is that -when I first realised I wanted to go to Westminster, and when I first looked at the costs- I thought it was £10,000 a year. So £20k for the two years. And even then I thought it was very expensive.

Meh, back to looking around for a single Sixth Form around me that does Physics. There seem to be none... perfect.

P.S. On that note, does anybody know of any Sixth Forms that have good results for Physics/Maths at A level that aren't stupendously expensive? Either in South East England without boarding, or anywhere else with boarding. I'm having serious trouble finding a place near me that that does Physics at all.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1570
It's 60000 pounds for 2 years totally rough estimate
How's everybody doing?

How's are your PS's coming along? 2 more weeks till application closes!
Reply 1572
Finshed everything except uploading the recent school report. on what date exactly is the entrance exam?
This thread is really quiet
The entrance exam is on the 5th of November.
Ready?
Anyone has any clue how to fill in the guardian/parents section and the further info one? I'm sort of lost... :s-smilie:
Original post by elliotlauu
How's everybody doing?

How's are your PS's coming along? 2 more weeks till application closes!

My personal statement definitely needs to be written! There's just the small problem of not knowing what to put in it...
Original post by pompompandapple
My personal statement definitely needs to be written! There's just the small problem of not knowing what to put in it...

You better get started! We have about two weeks left till application closes.
Reply 1577
anyone appearing for eco or chem or math?
Original post by arshadb
anyone appearing for eco or chem or math?

Economics and math for me! :smile:
oh my goodness can't wait! I won't be going to the school though so I probably won't see any of you. :/
Original post by elliotlauu
You better get started! We have about two weeks left till application closes.

LOL. I've got some ideas about what to put in. I'm not sure if it will be enough though.

Latest