The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Just curious, does anyone here know what other medication I'm likely to be put on if the doctor decides citalopram isn't working? The tiredness isn't really getting any better, which really screws with work, and even though it seemed to help initially I think that might've just been a placebo because recently I've felt exactly like I did before I went on it.
Original post by bullettheory
All CS people (or people who know C), could anyone help me with a C related problem (silly hash tables...) ? A pint at the next meet should be enough incentive :tongue:

I can take a look at it for you if you want
Original post by Anonymous
:console: I'm sure it's not as big a deal as it seems.

Just a little misunderstanding/me being a douche. I never miss my BF more than when we have a little tiff though :frown: :emo:
Original post by LostHorizons
Just curious, does anyone here know what other medication I'm likely to be put on if the doctor decides citalopram isn't working? The tiredness isn't really getting any better, which really screws with work, and even though it seemed to help initially I think that might've just been a placebo because recently I've felt exactly like I did before I went on it.

Well I tried Prozac first, then citalopram so it's possible he might want to try prozac if you haven't already.
I was then on mirtazipine but I think that normally makes you waaay more sleeping so that might not be great for you. My psych was suggesting venlafaxine which is better for improving energy levels apparently, but I guess it will depend on whether they want to try some more SSRIs or switch to another group.
Reply 64
Hey everyone, great to see a new thread. I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice; I'm in a bit of a dilemma.
A friend of mine was chatting to me in school today, and mentioned that she had been talking to her mother about me lacking motivation and getting poor grades. She told me her mother thought I might have depression and that I should go see a doctor - at this point I almost fell off my chair and proceeded to laugh it off, saying that there was nothing wrong and I was just a little lazy.

I feel really guilty lying to her now, and I want to make it right, so I was planning to go to school tommorow and tell her that I was worried I might have some form of mental illness and that I'm worried about my health. The only thing keeping me back is that I don't want to place this burden on her. She's not a health professional, and I know I'd be better off going to my GP to get a proper diagnosis, but after she told me about her mothers advice, I feel like she's the only one I can talk to without being judged. But at the same time I don't want to cause her any distress or make her concerned about me; I'm sure she has enough on her mind without having to carry my baggage as well.
I'm also not sure to what extent I should tell her about my problems. Telling her about my suicidal thoughts and self-harm would be a bit much I'm guessing, but at the same time I kinda want to open up to her because I haven't talked about this to anyone and it'd feel like an emotional release.

Anyhow, I'm just wondering if you guys think I should tell her my worries? I've read on another forum how friends have reacted when they find out someone is depressed, and it sounds like there are a lot of judgemental people out there which is making me a little apprehensive. Does anyone have any good experiences about telling their friends about their problems? Or would it be better for her if I let her think everything is fine?
Reply 65
Just updating where I am in my report, might make me work faster if I'm more aware how far I've got/how much I have left to do:

Abstract
Introduction
Method
-participants
-design
-materials
-procedure
Results
Discussion
Appendices
References
Original post by Angury
Hey everyone, great to see a new thread. I'm wondering if anyone could give me some advice; I'm in a bit of a dilemma.
A friend of mine was chatting to me in school today, and mentioned that she had been talking to her mother about me lacking motivation and getting poor grades. She told me her mother thought I might have depression and that I should go see a doctor - at this point I almost fell off my chair and proceeded to laugh it off, saying that there was nothing wrong and I was just a little lazy.

I feel really guilty lying to her now, and I want to make it right, so I was planning to go to school tommorow and tell her that I was worried I might have some form of mental illness and that I'm worried about my health. The only thing keeping me back is that I don't want to place this burden on her. She's not a health professional, and I know I'd be better off going to my GP to get a proper diagnosis, but after she told me about her mothers advice, I feel like she's the only one I can talk to without being judged. But at the same time I don't want to cause her any distress or make her concerned about me; I'm sure she has enough on her mind without having to carry my baggage as well.
I'm also not sure to what extent I should tell her about my problems. Telling her about my suicidal thoughts and self-harm would be a bit much I'm guessing, but at the same time I kinda want to open up to her because I haven't talked about this to anyone and it'd feel like an emotional release.

Anyhow, I'm just wondering if you guys think I should tell her my worries? I've read on another forum how friends have reacted when they find out someone is depressed, and it sounds like there are a lot of judgemental people out there which is making me a little apprehensive. Does anyone have any good experiences about telling their friends about their problems? Or would it be better for her if I let her think everything is fine?

I'd tell her. From the sounds of it she cares about you and won't be judgemental. But I think in order to not be putting too much weight on her, you should also go see your GP. I once told a friend about my depression, suicidal feelings and all (I didn't mean to, was very drunk :colondollar:) but then wouldn't let him do anything to help me, or tell anyone else, which looking back I think was pretty unfair of me, and must have been difficult for my friend. So I think that while it would be a good idea for you to confide in your friend, you're right to not want to put too much of a burden on her alone. Whereas if you agree to seek help from a professional, things might turn out better for the both of you.
I should have probably mentioned he was a workman, not just a random man :tongue: It's dark now and I think he's gone.

If he didn't reply to you because of that than I don't think he's really worth worrying about. Why would somebody ignore somebody because of that? You could comment on the post in you liked, at least he will then have to acknowledge you. I have no idea how your medication, or any medication, works really so I'm not in much of a position to say. I do hope you feel better soon though :hugs:

Hope bits of that were somewhat useful, I'm the worlds worst person at giving advice.

That's good. :tongue:

Yeah, I guess it's probably not the reason. Might make me look a bit crazy, though not that sure that I mind looking crazy anymore. I'm too much of a chicken to comment. Thanks, just scared I'm slipping back to how I was before. Maybe the mental health person tomorrow will have a magic solution, oh I'm scared.
Yeah it was, just having some reassurance can really help, especially when I start torturing myself. No you're not, you're brilliant. :hugs:
Original post by misst911
Yes it does, it's one of the key modules. I've had long enough to do it, no excuses.

The appointment's Tuesday. In the morning :eek: I can generally get up when I have somewhere to be though.

I think my biggest worry is that there actually isn't anything wrong with me and this is me. I'm not as bad as other people either, I've never wanted to end it all.

Well if you haven't felt up to it, maybe you could let someone know?
Good luck with the appointment!
As said don't compare yourself to others, not being suicidal doesn't mean your problems aren't serious.
Original post by kiss_me_now9
Just a little misunderstanding/me being a douche. I never miss my BF more than when we have a little tiff though :frown: :emo:

Happens to us all. Maybe you can have a nice makeup phone call? :smile:
Reply 68
Original post by Angury

Tell her as long as you feel comfortable enough to. It will not be a burden on her, she'll be happy you've opened up and that you're not having to go through it on your own. I'm sure she'd much rather be there for you, even if she's not a professional, and sometimes that's exactly what you need. She might be more understanding when you're in a bad mood as well.

Tell her as much or as little as you want. Maybe don't start with the self harm, but she sounds like a good friend - she's clearly worried about your lack of motivation if she's talking about it with her mum - so tell her when you feel ready.

I'm currently going through acknowledging it myself and having to discuss it with friends because it's been affecting them, and they've been better about things than they might have been. They're more supportive than I was expecting, although it's difficult to shake off the thoughts, and things will take time. Personally, I feel they only understand it to a certain extent, but it would be unfair to expect anything else.

How I think I'm doing at the moment.

That's good. :tongue:

Yeah, I guess it's probably not the reason. Might make me look a bit crazy, though not that sure that I mind looking crazy anymore. I'm too much of a chicken to comment. Thanks, just scared I'm slipping back to how I was before. Maybe the mental health person tomorrow will have a magic solution, oh I'm scared.
Yeah it was, just having some reassurance can really help, especially when I start torturing myself. No you're not, you're brilliant. :hugs:

Let me know how it all goes? I'm sure it'll be fine :hugs:

I really wish my mum would stop offering me random days off school. Since she has found out the true extent of things she's basically letting me do anything I want. I really don't want to go in but I know I should really. Not sure what to do.
Reply 71

Well if you haven't felt up to it, maybe you could let someone know?
Good luck with the appointment!
As said don't compare yourself to others, not being suicidal doesn't mean your problems aren't serious.

Still fighting the feeling that it's all me though. I haven't been sat crying all the time so I couldn't do the work, and I know I can do it, I've managed before. I've just been such a lazy arse that I haven't.

And thanks, I wasn't nervous about it until making the appointment :s-smilie:

To me it feels like the equivalent of saying I think I might have the flu but I'm not sneezing, if you get me.
Original post by misst911
Still fighting the feeling that it's all me though. I haven't been sat crying all the time so I couldn't do the work, and I know I can do it, I've managed before. I've just been such a lazy arse that I haven't.

And thanks, I wasn't nervous about it until making the appointment :s-smilie:

To me it feels like the equivalent of saying I think I might have the flu but I'm not sneezing, if you get me.

Depression can make you act lazy, without its being your fault. For me depression usually brings on a major lack in motivation for studying and most other things, and also makes it really hard for me to get out of bed any time before 2pm. :tongue: But I eventually realised it's not my fault, and depression does make these things harder for you.

And you shouldn't feel like your problems don't matter just because they're not so severe as other peoples'. I know my self-harming isn't nearly so damaging or dangerous as some peoples' on here, but it's still something that negatively affects me, meaning I have a right to be upset about it, and so do you. :smile:
Reply 73
I'm cold and fed up of being cold. The worst bit of it is that I have a winter coat, it just happens to be in London and the guy it's with still hasn't got round to sending it back to me. I realise there are more important things in his life than a coat, but it'd take no more than half an hour to sort out, and I'm paying for the postage, so ... it shouldn't have taken 3 months.

I'm ****ing fed up of this- I've been wearing an old, thin, non-waterproof jacket all winter and it's ****- it doesn't keep me warm unless I wear 2 or 3 jumpers under it, and it leaks and lets the rain it. Especially on the torn sleeve.

:mad: I know it's such a little thing, and I know this post is horribly passive agressive, but it doesn't take 3 months to send somebody a ****ing coat.
Reply 74
Original post by superwolf
Depression can make you act lazy, without its being your fault. For me depression usually brings on a major lack in motivation for studying and most other things, and also makes it really hard for me to get out of bed any time before 2pm. :tongue: But I eventually realised it's not my fault, and depression does make these things harder for you.

And you shouldn't feel like your problems don't matter just because they're not so severe as other peoples'. I know my self-harming isn't nearly so damaging or dangerous as some peoples' on here, but it's still something that negatively affects me, meaning I have a right to be upset about it, and so do you. :smile:

I suppose, thanks :smile:
Original post by ZZ9
I'm cold and fed up of being cold. The worst bit of it is that I have a winter coat, it just happens to be in London and the guy it's with still hasn't got round to sending it back to me. I realise there are more important things in his life than a coat, but it'd take no more than half an hour to sort out, and I'm paying for the postage, so ... it shouldn't have taken 3 months.

I'm ****ing fed up of this- I've been wearing an old, thin, non-waterproof jacket all winter and it's ****- it doesn't keep me warm unless I wear 2 or 3 jumpers under it, and it leaks and lets the rain it. Especially on the torn sleeve.

:mad: I know it's such a little thing, and I know this post is horribly passive agressive, but it doesn't take 3 months to send somebody a ****ing coat.

Gotta love Edinburgh weather. :rolleyes:

Have you tried going round the charity shops looking for a replacement one? There are tons in Stockbridge or up the bridges, you might be able to pick one up fairly cheaply. Or there's always Primark. :awesome:
Reply 76
**** me diazepam has a long half life!
Reply 77
Original post by superwolf
Gotta love Edinburgh weather. :rolleyes:

Have you tried going round the charity shops looking for a replacement one? There are tons in Stockbridge or up the bridges, you might be able to pick one up fairly cheaply. Or there's always Primark. :awesome:

Oh yes :tongue:

No. I should do, but it's just.. I've got a perfectly good, bought this October very almost new coat which I really like. I accidentally left it with someone I went to stay with. He said that he'd send it on, then we both forgot, I asked again, he said he'd bring it back at Christmas, it didn't come back at Christmas because he had too much stuff to carry, he said he'd send it.... nothing is here and he's ignoring me. If he'd stolen £40 off me, it'd be wrong, but apparently there's no problem in not sending back my coat and ignoring me :mad: I mean, I'm paying him back for the postage and box/whatever, it's not actually going to cost him anything, just half an hour or so. I can fully understand not getting it done straight away, but it's been 3 months, and that's just... it's not good.

Ooops, that was a bit of a rant. I'm off to the west coast of Scotland in a week and a half though- it'll be cold and rainy, and seeing as that's the only warm, waterproof thing I have, I kind of need it :frown:

Also, I never got a secret santa present. I got an email before Christmas saying that it wasn't going to be sent before then, but it's a month after Christmas and I've had nothing.

Perhaps I just live in the postal Bermuda Triangle or something :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ZZ9
Oh yes :tongue:

No. I should do, but it's just.. I've got a perfectly good, bought this October very almost new coat which I really like. I accidentally left it with someone I went to stay with. He said that he'd send it on, then we both forgot, I asked again, he said he'd bring it back at Christmas, it didn't come back at Christmas because he had too much stuff to carry, he said he'd send it.... nothing is here and he's ignoring me. If he'd stolen £40 off me, it'd be wrong, but apparently there's no problem in not sending back my coat and ignoring me :mad: I mean, I'm paying him back for the postage and box/whatever, it's not actually going to cost him anything, just half an hour or so. I can fully understand not getting it done straight away, but it's been 3 months, and that's just... it's not good.

Ooops, that was a bit of a rant. I'm off to the west coast of Scotland in a week and a half though- it'll be cold and rainy, and seeing as that's the only warm, waterproof thing I have, I kind of need it :frown:

Also, I never got a secret santa present. I got an email before Christmas saying that it wasn't going to be sent before then, but it's a month after Christmas and I've had nothing.

Perhaps I just live in the postal Bermuda Triangle or something :frown:

That sucks. Time to crack out the voodoo doll? :tongue:

I've just PMed your secret santa person, so I'll let you know if it ever got sent or not. :smile:
Original post by Nut.
**** me diazepam has a long half life!

:biggrin: Best feeling ever :smile:

Latest