The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Is Coventry really that grim? (Warwick uni)

Just wondered, whether it was as bad as people make out. Since, that's always the first negative I hear about the uni and the surronding area. I'm from Hackney, so in all honesty, I doubt its anything for me to worry about, but I'm still intrigued.:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tsunami2011

Original post by Tsunami2011
Just wondered, whether it was as bad as people make out. Since, that's always the first negative I hear about the uni and the surronding area. I'm from Hackney, so in all honesty, I doubt its anything for me to worry about, but I'm still intrigued.:smile:

It has improved a lot in recent years, I think.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
It's not as bad as we make it out to be, but Leam is still nicer, which is why everyone lives there.
Reply 3
Lots of it is, yeah. But most students if they live in Coventry live in Earlsdon which is actually pretty alright.
It really depends which part of Coventry. Some of it's a little grim - I've walked to the hospital a few times from Pool Meadow bus stop, and that bit's kind of nasty- but Earlsdon and the surrounding bits seem to be pretty nice. Leamington's nicer, but Coventry isn't quite as bad as people make out. It reminds me quite a bit of Slough: not that inspiring, and a bit grim in places, but you'd feel relatively safe in most of it, so it's not exactly the worst place you could be or anything.
Reply 5
Not many people ever step foot in Coventry. I've been to the Cinema there once so can't really make any of my own evaluations; however it didn't seem any different to any other regular city I've been to. Most students tend to live in Leamington Spa (which is really nice and reminded me of Exeter City when the Christmas lights were up) or Canley which is closer to the University and the large Tesco. As for going out, it's Birmingham or the Student Union Copper Rooms.
Reply 6
Original post by Crazydavy
As for going out, it's Birmingham or the Student Union Copper Rooms.

There are a few decent places in Leamington as well.
Reply 7
Yes. Location is very much the worst thing about the university.
Reply 8
Original post by Vindobona
There are a few decent places in Leamington as well.

I forgot about Leamington when I wrote the post. Yes I agree :tongue:
If you're looking for a pretty university, set in a historic city, with lots of Oxbridge-esque architecture, Warwick isn't the place to go. :P
Original post by Bobifier
Yes. Location is very much the worst thing about the university.

that's why it's a good idea to visit or google earth the place as part of your due diligence
No it's not bad at all. The only people who seem to complain about 'poventry' are pampered little rich kids who recoil in horror at the sight of your standard working class ex-council estate.
Original post by screenager2004
No it's not bad at all. The only people who seem to complain about 'poventry' are pampered little rich kids who recoil in horror at the sight of your standard working class ex-council estate.

Sounds interesting

Ghastly things.

Joking aside, I'm not fond of Coventry but then again I'm more used to Cambridge which is probably on the prettier end of the scale.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14

Hey I see your doing sociology at Warwick k :smile: I got an offer for politics and was wondering since I can do some modules in relevant courses what the gender side of Warwick is like? Ty x
Original post by faithxfaye
Hey I see your doing sociology at Warwick k :smile: I got an offer for politics and was wondering since I can do some modules in relevant courses what the gender side of Warwick is like? Ty x

Bear in mind: I'm not totally 100% sure about the Politics Department's regulations, so it might be different to how things work at the Sociology department.

Okay - In the Sociology department we're allowed to take modules outside our home department. They're called "unusual options". For example I've been taking Japanese as part of my degree - nothing to do with sociology!!!

You need permission from the head of your home department, and permission from the leader of the outside module you want to take. If they both agree that you can take the course, you simply sign an "unusual options" form and voila: you can take a module from outside your home department.

If you wait 10 minutes I'll have a look on the Warwick website and see if I can find anything about it for the politics department. I'll also find a list of gender-related sociology modules.

Update
Okay congratulations - the politics department does do outside options forms!! (For first, second and third years) so it looks like you will be able to take outside options! (Come to think of it, I knew three Politics students in my first year: all of them took outside options - Spanish, Sociology (Social Welfare) and English Literature) so there is a lot of flexibility.

Gender modules for first year students: International Perspectives on Gender
There are also modules such as "Gender, Culture and Popular Media", "Technologies of the Gendered Body" and "Transformations: Gender, Reproduction and Contemporary Society" but these options are for second and third year students, so you will have to wait before you can take them!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Bear in mind: I'm not totally 100% sure about the Politics Department's regulations, so it might be different to how things work at the Sociology department.

Okay - In the Sociology department we're allowed to take modules outside our home department. They're called "unusual options". For example I've been taking Japanese as part of my degree - nothing to do with sociology!!!

You need permission from the head of your home department, and permission from the leader of the outside module you want to take. If they both agree that you can take the course, you simply sign an "unusual options" form and voila: you can take a module from outside your home department.

If you wait 10 minutes I'll have a look on the Warwick website and see if I can find anything about it for the politics department. I'll also find a list of gender-related sociology modules.

Oh wow! I would like to take some sociology modules because sociology is really related to politics in many ways! Thank you!:smile:
Original post by faithxfaye
Oh wow! I would like to take some sociology modules because sociology is really related to politics in many ways! Thank you!:smile:

Just FYI I've updated my post above :smile:
I'm visiting next week for an Open Day so will experience it with my own eyes :tongue:
Original post by AllisonAdorkable
If you're looking for a pretty university, set in a historic city, with lots of Oxbridge-esque architecture, Warwick isn't the place to go. :P

Coventry is very historic. I agree with the other statements but having lived in coventry all my life, the stories you hear are amazing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending