The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cuckoo99
physics at A level and beyond is basicaly applied maths. so you will find that there is plenty of maths in the physics a level, to the extent that doing a physics A level without doing a maths A level is bad choice as gcse maths will not cover the maths needed in physics A level

I'm terrible at practicals though-got bad results in GCSE Core Science ISA,on a Physics topic, and have burnt equipment,drank hazardous chemicals-not too hazardous and had my results way off by 20 degrees Celsius once and surely Physics A-Level=GCSE Physics and i got low B,first unit and revised quite a bit and for maths,took unit 1 early and 10 minutes revision,79/80.
Original post by Dalek1099
I'm terrible at practicals though-got bad results in GCSE Core Science ISA,on a Physics topic, and have burnt equipment,drank hazardous chemicals-not too hazardous and had my results way off by 20 degrees Celsius once and surely Physics A-Level=GCSE Physics and i got low B,first unit and revised quite a bit and for maths,took unit 1 early and 10 minutes revision,79/80.

Lol u drank hazardous chemicals :s-smilie:? in physics? lol? and you dont need to do physics if you dont want to, 5 a levels is a bit extreme tbh.
I really like business and am interested in being an accountant so should take it.
I should take Geography if it is easy but there is no guarantee i will keep up by 100% rate and what is the CA like for GCSE and A-Level?

I am worried about maths though because they seem to link cos,sin and tan into Algebra and i hate shape and i might not keep up my maths scores but i think i will get 100/100 in unit 2,with the algebra content and low grade boundaries but unit 3,with loads of shape,should be tough at GCSE.

Not sure what you mean by CA.

Honestly though, dont worry about maths. Just take it and you'll find its not as bad as it looks :smile:
Original post by Mocking_bird
Not sure what you mean by CA.

Honestly though, dont worry about maths. Just take it and you'll find its not as bad as it looks :smile:

CA=Controlled Assessments

I hope at A-Level,i can absorb the topics and find them really easy,after a struggle to understand them.My sister got a D, at AS -so slightly put of and she got 2A* 1 A in her A2 exams,in January and she says statistics and logo-rhythms are really tough but she did only get an A at GCSE,with an A in Unit 1,in Y10 and i got 79/80 a year earlier,in Y9.What are logo-rhythms?
CA=Controlled Assessments

I hope at A-Level,i can absorb the topics and find them really easy,after a struggle to understand them.My sister got a D, at AS -so slightly put of and she got 2A* 1 A in her A2 exams,in January and she says statistics and logo-rhythms are really tough but she did only get an A at GCSE,with an A in Unit 1,in Y10 and i got 79/80 a year earlier,in Y9.What are logo-rhythms?

I havent had any controlled assessments for AS, I don't think there are any in A2 either (On edexcel).. not sure though.

And its logarithms :colondollar:
We havent got onto them yet, they're the last topic we're doing in C2 so i'll know in a few weeks.

If you want to have a look though, http://www.examsolutions.co.uk/maths-revision/syllabuses/AQA/period-1/C2/module.php (near the middle for logs).
(This site is really helpful so bookmark it for september if you decide to do maths :smile: )
Original post by cuckoo99
Lol u drank hazardous chemicals :s-smilie:? in physics? lol? and you dont need to do physics if you dont want to, 5 a levels is a bit extreme tbh.

in chemistry practical because i was asking about whether the practicals would be too hard in Physics A-Level.It was meant to be lime water but because of my bad practical skills it wasn't proper lime water-luckily,for me,if it was-i might not be here.
Original post by Mocking_bird
I havent had any controlled assessments for AS, I don't think there are any in A2 either (On edexcel).. not sure though.

And its logarithms :colondollar:
We havent got onto them yet, they're the last topic we're doing in C2 so i'll know in a few weeks.

If you want to have a look though, http://www.examsolutions.co.uk/maths-revision/syllabuses/AQA/period-1/C2/module.php (near the middle for logs).
(This site is really helpful so bookmark it for september if you decide to do maths :smile: )

no controlled assessment in A-Level Geography?,what about GCSE?,What was the CA like?
no controlled assessment in A-Level Geography?,what about GCSE?,What was the CA like?

In GCSE we just had 1 controlled assessment on our fieldwork.
It wasnt that hard to be honest, as long as you can elaborate on the notes you take in.
Not sure what else to say about it :laugh:
could anybody tell me what the following are like at a-level , psychology, law and business
Reply 3049
I decided to take 4 A-level's but i chose only 3 of them:

1)Math
2)Economics
3)History

I want to do economics,finance or business related course at uni , so help me choose 4th A-level. I think of one of the following : philosophy ,geography , politics. Which of them is more respected and fits in my uni courses better? Or maybe you can offer subject to take that not in my list ? So any tips and suggestions are welcome , thanks! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by benq
I decided to take 4 A-level's but i chose only 3 of them:

1)Math
2)Economics
3)History

I want to do economics,finance or business related course at uni , so help me choose 4th A-level. I think of one of the following : philosophy ,geography , politics. Which of them is more respected and fits in my uni courses better? Or maybe you can offer subject to take that not in my list ? So any tips and suggestions are welcome , thanks! :smile:

I think Further Maths would complement best, if it's possible or even Physics
I need help:
If I only pick Chemistry (as I don't like Biology and Physics) as my only science, along with Maths and Business would I be able to still go further into a science/maths field in uni?
Original post by krisshP
I need help:
If I only pick Chemistry (as I don't like Biology and Physics) as my only science, along with Maths and Business would I be able to still go further into a science/maths field in uni?

Into a science feild? yes. But you'll be very limited in your options. Maths and Chemistry alone will probably restrict you to straight chemistry or heavily chemistry-based courses.

You won't be able to do (at most unis); maths, physics, engineering, biology, physiology. You may be able to do Biochemistry or medicine, but without biology it will be hard. You only real option would be straight Chemistry.

If you have a science based feild of study in mind, you should definitely consider picking up either biology or physics.
Original post by hasan-1-
could anybody tell me what the following are like at a-level , psychology, law and business

Business is extremely easy and just based on common sense. Don't do it unless you can handle abject, soul-destroying boredom. If you're interested in that sort of thing do economics!
Original post by krisshP
I need help:

Yes but obviously not those areas which you've decided don't interest you. Chemistry is the best anyway so you have nothing to worry about :wink:
Original post by Clumsy_Chemist
Business is extremely easy and just based on common sense. Don't do it unless you can handle abject, soul-destroying boredom. If you're interested in that sort of thing do economics!

but wouldn't economics be more to do with maths? also what about sociology as a alternative to law
i hope to do medicine at uni and have picked
bio
chem
maths
economics

i was just wondering if economics is a good 4th subject..... (i know lots of people say to do physics but i hate it!!)

thanks in advance :smile:
I was just wondering if it is okay to take three AS levels instead of four. I know it's advised to take four and then drop one at A2 so I would like to know if it's safe for me to take three. I am studying English Language, Biology and Chemistry at the moment and hope to have a career with an English Language degree or in Media.
Any advise would be highly appreciated :smile:
Economics as your 4th subject with Bio, cem and maths will kill you. I say pick Bio, chem, maths and business (or another EASY A-level which is still not excluded by unis).

Business is like an easier version of eco
Reply 3059
Original post by g.k.galloway
i hope to do medicine at uni and have picked
bio
chem
maths
economics

i was just wondering if economics is a good 4th subject..... (i know lots of people say to do physics but i hate it!!)

thanks in advance :smile:

They are the subjects I do, they're absolutely fine if you're wanting to do medicine :smile:

Good luck!

Latest