The Student Room Group

EDEXCEL Biology JUNE 2012 Pre-release article

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .snowflake.
theres your null hypothesis, which is a BIT like predicting your results.

I went for people because I hate plants. But people mean you've got to worry about ethics and potentially messing them up mentally and stuff :/

Sorry I don't understand what you mean by this?

and we were kinda forced to do plants or aquatic animals coz we went to a field :/
Original post by This Honest
Sorry I don't understand what you mean by this?

and we were kinda forced to do plants or aquatic animals coz we went to a field :/

O_o. You've not been told about a null hypothesis!! Basically your null hypothesis says that there'll be no difference between your two sets of data. So something like 'there will be no significant change in leaf area between the two areas'
O_o. You've not been told about a null hypothesis!! Basically your null hypothesis says that there'll be no difference between your two sets of data. So something like 'there will be no significant change in leaf area between the two areas'

oh lol I knew that :tongue:
but i don't understand why you would talk about your null hyp in your research and rationale :smile:
oh lol I knew that :tongue:
but i don't understand why you would talk about your null hyp in your research and rationale :smile:

Neither do I. But if thats where Edexcel wants it, thats where we put it.
hooooorayyyy,thanks so much!!!
Original post by africananimals
Glad they are useful! Any other questions would be greatly appriciated! :smile: I think there defo will be a synoptic link with unit1,4,. How are you guys finding neurones? :smile: Weve finished brains, and returning to neurones.

We have just finished today and started analyzing the article.
Original post by CIE password

Isn't it the easter holidays? How come you're in school?

Nice one! :smile: Any tips during the week would be greatly appriciated! :smile: I was just finishing off neurones today, very interesting! Hopefully it will appear as an article question.
Isn't it the easter holidays? How come you're in school?

I'm from Jordan, and Easter holiday is just one day here. Muslims don't take any day off, while Christians take 1 week.
I'm from Jordan, and Easter holiday is just one day here. Muslims don't take any day off, while Christians take 1 week.

Ahh I see :cookie:
Original post by africananimals
Nice one! :smile: Any tips during the week would be greatly appriciated! :smile: I was just finishing off neurones today, very interesting! Hopefully it will appear as an article question.

I will put everything the teacher will teach us about the article here. Everyone must share his notes ....:smile:
Reply 71
Hey guys, i posted this in another thread earlier... I was wondering if anyone here could help me out too. It's about coursework.

My hypothesis for my investigation was that there would be a significant difference between the abundance of limpets on lower, middle and upper shore levels.

I carried out a Mann Whitney U Statistical tests on my data.
The first test compared lower and middle.
second - middle and upper
third - lower and upper

The test indicated that there was a significant difference between lower and middle, and lower and upper, but not between middle and upper....

There was therefore, overall, a significant difference. However, not completely..

Does that mean that I should accept or reject my hypothesis? It is acceptable to 'partially' accept your hypothesis?
Original post by SnailFace
Hey guys, i posted this in another thread earlier... I was wondering if anyone here could help me out too. It's about coursework.

My hypothesis for my investigation was that there would be a significant difference between the abundance of limpets on lower, middle and upper shore levels.

I carried out a Mann Whitney U Statistical tests on my data.
The first test compared lower and middle.
second - middle and upper
third - lower and upper

The test indicated that there was a significant difference between lower and middle, and lower and upper, but not between middle and upper....

There was therefore, overall, a significant difference. However, not completely..

Does that mean that I should accept or reject my hypothesis? It is acceptable to 'partially' accept your hypothesis?

Do a Chi-squared test; it will give a clear-cut answer.
I will put everything the teacher will teach us about the article here. Everyone must share his notes ....:smile:

Thank sooooo much!!!! Great !!! :biggrin: So helpful! Lol dont worry Im back at school too :tongue: Spanish holidays always short :smile:
Reply 75
*subscribes*
Somebody make my biology coursework go away.
Somebody make my biology coursework go away.

If you make mine go away first

seriously, it's eating my precious revision time :angry: like NOW
If you make mine go away first

seriously, it's eating my precious revision time :angry: like NOW

spent this afternoon doing some of my AS cwk because i couldnt be asked to revise. I wish my centre put us in for the other option offered by Edexcel
spent this afternoon doing some of my AS cwk because i couldnt be asked to revise. I wish my centre put us in for the other option offered by Edexcel

AS cw >> A2 cw
:yep:

Quick Reply

Latest