The Student Room Group

Is my driving instructor taking the mick?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by arbaaz
ooh 41 hours :P you rebel :smile:

£20 pound a lesson? mine charges £24 ! i think i'm being ripped off. plus she likes me to book in two hour sessions and always finished 25-30 mins early. for the first two lessons i had which were in a two hour block she drove me to this area which was 40 mins away and then she started to teach. she said she does that for the first 6 hours, and she finished half an hour early each time.

so i only really got taught for 50 mins per two hour block.

i think i'm being hussled ... :frown:

Mine charged £24
dont worry, but he was a grade 6 instructor. I always had mine in two hour blocks but for me I was able to concentrate that long and when it was time to do test routes, the nearest centre was half an hour away so that was half the lesson but it was all practise driving there and all. But if she's finishing half an hour early then I'd either confront her or change instructor. My friend had an instructor who said she was one of her slowest learners, she had around 30 lessons and said she still was no were near ready for the test. When she changed instructors however she started test routes and a couple of lessons later is planning on booking her test. If your gut says she's ripping you off and you feel you're not reaching your potential then change. It's probably the best thing you can do
Original post by Ice Constricter
Ok sorry then. Although to be fair, how was I to know you were talking about pinda college (post #7) when you didn't even quote him? And because you didn't quote anyone I obviously assumed it was a stand alone comment directed at the OP not the sexist guy.

Yeah yeah yeah i know, I did try to quote him but it didn't work.

Misunderstanding innit :smile:
Reply 62
50 hours is ridiculous, she's taking you for a mug.

20 hours is common - even 30. But saying 50 as a usual is her booking her holiday to Dubai early.

Sack her, plenty more out there :smile:
Reply 63
Change. Don't part on bad terms so you can always go back if you get an even worse one. I had a mick taking instructor but still did turn in the road in the first two hour slot.
Reply 64
Hi. Let me address a couple of issues.

If you dont get on with your instructor, change straight away. Talk to your friends who have recently passed and find out who did good for them. Was the car good, was their attitude good, did they arrive on time, all important factors.

How many lessons? The Driving Standards Agency suggests 47 hours of professional tuition and 20 plus hous of private driving, so I guess this is where your instructor gets her figures from, see HERE for more information.

However .......

Most of my pupils do pass their test within 35 hours, the best ever was just 12 hours, but everyone does learn at different speeds. All my pupils get a full hours of driving, if its a 1 hour lesson, and the lesson is planned and objectives set when they get in the car.

On the very rare occasions that I need to touch the pedals, I discuss the situation with the pupils and then the pupil reapproaches the same hazard and we work through it together (is is usually observation based!).

As far as reversing goes, it is a skill that you need to perfect, and usually my pupils are reversing by hour 3.

However, in your list of things that you say you can do, you ommit, probably the most important part of safe driving, observation. If you cannot effectively observe what is going on, then you cannot drive safely. So have a thing and do you use MSM, MSPSL and LADA, and do you use Early Vision, Early Decision. If you dont, then ask your instructor about it, or indeed change.

Driving is great and so enjoy your lessons but be safe.

The Driver.
Reply 65
Original post by The Driver
Hi. Let me address a couple of issues.

If you dont get on with your instructor, change straight away. Talk to your friends who have recently passed and find out who did good for them. Was the car good, was their attitude good, did they arrive on time, all important factors.

How many lessons? The Driving Standards Agency suggests 47 hours of professional tuition and 20 plus hous of private driving, so I guess this is where your instructor gets her figures from, see HERE for more information.

However .......

Most of my pupils do pass their test within 35 hours, the best ever was just 12 hours, but everyone does learn at different speeds. All my pupils get a full hours of driving, if its a 1 hour lesson, and the lesson is planned and objectives set when they get in the car.

On the very rare occasions that I need to touch the pedals, I discuss the situation with the pupils and then the pupil reapproaches the same hazard and we work through it together (is is usually observation based!).

As far as reversing goes, it is a skill that you need to perfect, and usually my pupils are reversing by hour 3.

However, in your list of things that you say you can do, you ommit, probably the most important part of safe driving, observation. If you cannot effectively observe what is going on, then you cannot drive safely. So have a thing and do you use MSM, MSPSL and LADA, and do you use Early Vision, Early Decision. If you dont, then ask your instructor about it, or indeed change.

Driving is great and so enjoy your lessons but be safe.

The Driver.

Thanks for replying. I'm going to switch instructors today and hopefully just do an hour or an hour and a half per lesson so I can get the most out of it. How would you recommend telling my old instructor?

Like you say whenever I make a big mistake She doesn't take me back through it and just forgets about it. And I don't know what any of them observation acronyms mean. She just says 'Scan'.
Hmm, 50 hours does sound like a lot of time. In the end, it depends on how fast you think you learn; personally I didn't need that many hours until I passed but I do know one person who spent just under £1,000 on driving lessons! If you feel you aren't advancing as fast as you could, I would definitely advise you to change instructor. There's no point in paying way more money than you should.
I dont think theres anything wrong with it taking 50 hours, pretty sure the average is around 40; some people will do it in 20 but some people will need 60 or more.
If you think shes a bad instructor then thats a different story but at the end of the day shes a fully qualified instructor who has much more experience than you, if she feels you might need 50 then who are you to disagree? Youre learning to drive.

I personally thought id be ready to pass my test in 20 lessons the speed I was going through what I had to learn, on average I spent about 30 mins on each new thing which meant I had twice as few lessons as recommended, being the nervous type and not wanting to book my test early I left it late and there was a months wait for the test, ive had closer to 30+ lessons but its all experience. I know people who fluked their test and are too scared to drive out now, I didnt want to be like that, whats the point in passing your test when you cant 'drive' or arent confident enough to handle all situations?
Reply 68
Original post by hypercaine.
I dont think theres anything wrong with it taking 50 hours, pretty sure the average is around 40; some people will do it in 20 but some people will need 60 or more.
If you think shes a bad instructor then thats a different story but at the end of the day shes a fully qualified instructor who has much more experience than you, if she feels you might need 50 then who are you to disagree? Youre learning to drive.

I personally thought id be ready to pass my test in 20 lessons the speed I was going through what I had to learn, on average I spent about 30 mins on each new thing which meant I had twice as few lessons as recommended, being the nervous type and not wanting to book my test early I left it late and there was a months wait for the test, ive had closer to 30+ lessons but its all experience. I know people who fluked their test and are too scared to drive out now, I didnt want to be like that, whats the point in passing your test when you cant 'drive' or arent confident enough to handle all situations?

I agree with you and I'm not looking to rush it at all. I just feel she has a tailored course that is structured for all of her pupils so she tends to take 50 hours regardless of the individual if you know what I mean?
Reply 69
I had a driving instructor who had the highest possible civilian driving qualification (Gold RoSPA). He was retired and did it as a part time job. I live in the countryside so all my lessons were 2 hours (to give you time to drive to a town), but he always let me drive there. I was reversing on my first lesson, and he ALWAYS took atleast the 2 hours. He didn't count time where we weren't driving - if he was explaining how to do a maneuver he didn't count that as part of the lesson. Towards my test he took me out for 3 hour lessons but only charged me for 2. I was paying £45 for 2 hours, and he wasn't part of a chain. If you're being dropped home early, swap instructors.
Reply 70
Just in case anyone wanted to know, I got a new instructor and he is so much better! On my first lesson with him I went on a dual carriageway, done major roundabouts and started a manoeuvre! So glad I did it now, was a bit embarrassing telling the other lady though.

If anyone happens to be in the same situation, definitely switch!
Nice one. It's good when you click with someone, isn't it.

For perspective, I'm a couple of weeks away from my practical. I keep telling my instructor that I don't feel *quite* ready and could do with a bit more tweaking - he says I shouldn't pay for any more lessons than the ones I've already paid for with him because it would be a waste of money as I'm ready! (Still not sure about that, lol).

Point is that there's some good guys out there who enjoy helping ppl pass etc and not just in it for the Benjamins. :smile:
Original post by irate_pirate
Nice one. It's good when you click with someone, isn't it.

For perspective, I'm a couple of weeks away from my practical. I keep telling my instructor that I don't feel *quite* ready and could do with a bit more tweaking - he says I shouldn't pay for any more lessons than the ones I've already paid for with him because it would be a waste of money as I'm ready! (Still not sure about that, lol).

Point is that there's some good guys out there who enjoy helping ppl pass etc and not just in it for the Benjamins. :smile:

Mine was amazing and he said the same as yours. I wanted a couple of extra lessons in the week before my test and he said there was no need. He was right. I had the hour before the test and passed... To be honest, I miss having lessons with him - we used to talk about anything and everything, and he let me visit the seaside on one of my lessons [as I told him I love the seaside] lol. :redface:
Reply 73
If you feel like the instructor is too slow for you, then change.

On my first lesson, I ended up driving home down a dual carriageway, and got a lot of driving in doing different things. It suited me to be pushed so I could pass faster, so just find a good instructor for you.

My brother tried two instructors before he found one that he liked, so it's not unusual.

50 hours does seem to be pushing it too. I passed in 24, which I think is about average.
You should (given an average level of confidence and competence) be reaching a speed of 30mph by your second lesson in my opinion.

Ditch her, and find someone who's been recommended by your friends.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending