The Student Room Group

Eligibility to student finance

Hi there. I joined the forum specifically for one question, which I couldn't find the answer to elsewhere. The student finance website isn't very helpful.

Basically, I completed a year at uni and received student finance for that year. I received a tuition fee loan and maintenance loan. I left, and now am thinking about applying to go back to uni (but not until 2014)

What I wanted to find out is if I'd be eligible for a tuition fee loan, or for at least two of the years, as they already paid for a year of the previous course.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance :smile:
You're allowed an 'extra year' of funding. Basically if you drop out after/during first year you're allowed to fund a whole new course.

You'd get funding for your whole course then, but should that not work out you'd only be eligible for two more years (if it's a three year course you apply for again).

That's how I understand it, in any case.
Reply 2
As far as I know from the student finance talk a rep gave at school, they give you a second chance if you drop out in/after the first year of a course, no matter the reason, so you should be able to get finance for all three years, the same as you did this year. (obviously you'll still have to pay this year back)

But this was from Student Finance Wales so if you're elsewhere in the UK it might be different. You're probably better off just calling them on their helpline and asking them in person. I'm sure they'll be willing to go through it with you and explain any notes you have to make on your application etc.

Student Finance England Number: 0845 300 50 90
(Monday to Friday, 8.00 am to 8.00 pm;
Saturday and Sunday, 9.00 am to 5.30 pm)

Hope this helps! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
You're allowed an 'extra year' of funding. Basically if you drop out after/during first year you're allowed to fund a whole new course.

You'd get funding for your whole course then, but should that not work out you'd only be eligible for two more years (if it's a three year course you apply for again).

That's how I understand it, in any case.

Yep it's another 3 year course. Thanks for the quick reply. I was getting worried I'd have to fund the whole three years. Even if I just get the two years it'll be a lot easier for me :smile:

Original post by H011y94
As far as I know from the student finance talk a rep gave at school, they give you a second chance if you drop out in/after the first year of a course, no matter the reason, so you should be able to get finance for all three years, the same as you did this year. (obviously you'll still have to pay this year back)

But this was from Student Finance Wales so if you're elsewhere in the UK it might be different. You're probably better off just calling them on their helpline and asking them in person. I'm sure they'll be willing to go through it with you and explain any notes you have to make on your application etc.

Student Finance England Number: 0845 300 50 90
(Monday to Friday, 8.00 am to 8.00 pm;
Saturday and Sunday, 9.00 am to 5.30 pm)

Hope this helps! :smile:

Cheers for that. I was planning on phoning them. It's just because 2014 is so long away, I thought it may be a bit early to call them. It probably is the best idea, at least I'll be at peace of mind. Thanks :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Of course, by 2014 rules could well change, but going by the ts and cs right now, you would get full funding for the duration of a new course, regardless how long the new course was (standard 3 year, or for example 5+ years med degree).

Funding is given based on a formula which is:

Length of new course + 1 year - previous study

(previous HE study is counted, regardless how that previous study was funded or whether you took finance or not)
Original post by ridster
Yep it's another 3 year course. Thanks for the quick reply. I was getting worried I'd have to fund the whole three years. Even if I just get the two years it'll be a lot easier for me :smile:

Cheers for that. I was planning on phoning them. It's just because 2014 is so long away, I thought it may be a bit early to call them. It probably is the best idea, at least I'll be at peace of mind. Thanks :smile:

You'd have funding for the full three years, I was just saying if you had to drop out again...

But yeah, it's a case of:
Current course length + 1 year - any other higher education. So in your case it's be 3 years+1year-your other year. :smile:

Quick Reply