The Student Room Group

Would universities still accept me if I took on a third year at sixth form?

I have applied to study at univeristy this September but I'm worried that I won't reach my offer. The second option was to go through clearing but I don't want to give up on my firm and insurance. I was thinking that I could take a third year to improve my grades but I have heard that universities don't normally accept third year sixth former, or they will but give a higher offer than usual. Is this true?
It depends where you apply- some may not look at all, some may give a higher offer and some may not care.
Check the uni websites, and if you can't find any information, drop them an email asking about that situation and hope for the best.
Reply 2
Original post by steve10005
I have applied to study at univeristy this September but I'm worried that I won't reach my offer. The second option was to go through clearing but I don't want to give up on my firm and insurance. I was thinking that I could take a third year to improve my grades but I have heard that universities don't normally accept third year sixth former, or they will but give a higher offer than usual. Is this true?

This is not true, I took another year at A levels and I received all five offers from the universities I applied at. They didn't ask for a high offer as well.
im in this category aswell... good to know t depends on the unis i guess.
Depends on the course and the university to be honest

If it's Medicine or Dentistry, then resitting A Levels is not allowed. It's the same scenario for Oxbridge. Some universities require higher grades but most decent universities usually don't discriminate and treat you equally compared to students who complete their A Levels in 2 years. Each university has their own resit policy, I advise you to email the universities you are applying to and ask whether they allow resits or whether they ask for higher requirements. As far as I know, achieving the required grades alone should be enough for most decent universities.
If they accept mature students I don't see why they wouldn't accept someone who's been through an extra year of 6th form...
Most universities will accept you after doing a third year, it's just really competitive courses like Medicine that don't like people doing resits. If there is a statement against third year students getting onto the course, they would make this clear on the entry profile of the courses you are applying for.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
It is right that it does depend on the course, if it is something competitive like medicine for which you are aiming for although some unis do allow you to be accepted but again you would need to check their resit policy i guess.
I did my UCAS application this year - and this year is my 3rd year in sixth form, I decided last year I would rather stay for another year and boost my grades that go to a poor uni. I was worried like you that I would struggle to get offers, however I got all 5 offers :smile:. I am glad I stayed in sixth form for a third year as I have boosted my grades a considerable amount and learned a lot more about my self and what I want to study at uni.
Reply 9
Ah, this is looking good. I assume music is a less competitive course haha :smile:
Reply 10
Do colleges charge you for staying an extra year in sixth form?
Original post by JammyChoos
Do colleges charge you for staying an extra year in sixth form?

No, your college education is paid for up to 3 years, but if you're over 19 when you start a college course you have to pay for it.
Reply 12
Original post by ali11
This is not true, I took another year at A levels and I received all five offers from the universities I applied at. They didn't ask for a high offer as well.

Errmm, where did you apply? Not Oxford I take it..
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
No, your college education is paid for up to 3 years, but if you're over 19 when you start a college course you have to pay for it.

Nah, not true. This is not the case everywhere. I had friends in their twenties who were studying at college and they didn't have to pay.
Original post by velvetbrain
Nah, not true. This is not the case everywhere. I had friends in their twenties who were studying at college and they didn't have to pay.

Depends on your circumstances. Generally speaking over 19s have to pay, but people who turn 19 in the middle of their course do not.
Reply 15
Original post by steve10005

My friend took A-level and she decided to change her course so she did another year at college. She still got 5 offers to read Business studies and she chose Cass to go next year. Her offers are AAA and they are match exactly the same with the requirements on the website for general student. G luck to you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending