The Student Room Group

changing sanitary products, no proper bin

What do you do if you go out somewhere, especially someones house and they either dont have a bin or one that they sort through, when you're on your period?

I was on when i was round my brothers once. Luckily it was only a couple of changes at his. But his bathroom had no bin at all. I wrapped it up in tissue and snook it into the blackbin.

But my boyfriends mum sorts through their bin for recyclables. We use carrier bags as bin bags and everything goes in the blackbin. But no one at my bfs house has periods so they dont have anything dirty in their bins. But this means that i have to wrap them up and take them home to put them in a bin, if i was them i wouldnt want to pick it up and if its only a tampon change i have to wrap it in tissue which it can leak through.

Has anyone had this problem before?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Clare~Bear
What do you do if you go out somewhere, especially someones house and they either dont have a bin or one that they sort through, when you're on your period?

I was on when i was round my brothers once. Luckily it was only a couple of changes at his. But his bathroom had no bin at all. I wrapped it up in tissue and snook it into the blackbin.

But my boyfriends mum sorts through their bin for recyclables. We use carrier bags as bin bags and everything goes in the blackbin. But no one at my bfs house has periods so they dont have anything dirty in their bins. But this means that i have to wrap them up and take them home to put them in a bin, if i was them i wouldnt want to pick it up and if its only a tampon change i have to wrap it in tissue which it can leak through.

Has anyone had this problem before?

If it's going to be an issue, I take a small carrier bag with me (the tiny ones), wrap it in tissue and wrap it in the bag and then throw it away when I leave theirs - I'll go to the shop for a drink or something and just throw it away
Reply 2
I don't understand people who don't have bathroom bins.

Or (most annoying), you remove the lid from what you THINK is the bathroom bin, only to find that it's a bin full of spare toilet rolls.
Reply 3
If worst comes to worst, flush the tampon down the toilet. I know you're not supposed to but if you're stuck in a situation that you'd rather not get embarrassed by, just do it.

As for sanitary towels ... I suppose wrap it up securely and keep it on you. Really hate it when people don't have bins in the bathroom though...
Reply 4
Had this problem when I last went to my boyfriends :/ had to ask him, but he didn't have a clue what his mum does or anything. Just had to wrap them up in plastic bags tightly and binned them when we went out.

Periods are inconvenient :/
Reply 5
Original post by Pandabär
I don't understand people who don't have bathroom bins.

Original post by Nistar

Really hate it when people don't have bins in the bathroom though...

Why would they need a bathroom bin if they don't use sanitary products? Plus, it's kind of unreasonable to expect them to have a bin and then have to empty it if they don't use it.
Reply 6
Original post by Philbert
Why would they need a bathroom bin if they don't use sanitary products? Plus, it's kind of unreasonable to expect them to have a bin and then have to empty it if they don't use it.

Lol I'm not going to get into a long debate over a bin, it's too late in the evening.:biggrin:

Most people I know use one for their tissues/ used dental floss/ cotton buds etc. It's not like I'm expecting a fully-functioning ice-cream stand to be erected in there.
Reply 7

I just find it a little unusual but only because that's what I'm used to.
Reply 8
I would wrap in the wrapper of the new tampon (if there is a proper wrapper), then tissue, then put it in a nappy bag (take a few with you to the place). You can get a huge pack really cheap and they're scented as well, which makes it nicer.

I also find it awkward when people don't have one, but it's the kind of thing you might not think of unless you've experienced the inconvenience yourself. I was once at a friends house and asked if there was a bin for a pad (I knew the girl well enough that it was only mildly embarrassing...) And she said I could just put it straight in the wheelie bin in her garden. I did, but I was thinking surely her and hey mum don't do this every time...

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app
Reply 9
Original post by kpwxx
I would wrap in the wrapper of the new tampon (if there is a proper wrapper), then tissue, then put it in a nappy bag (take a few with you to the place). You can get a huge pack really cheap and they're scented as well, which makes it nicer.

I also find it awkward when people don't have one, but it's the kind of thing you might not think of unless you've experienced the inconvenience yourself. I was once at a friends house and asked if there was a bin for a pad (I knew the girl well enough that it was only mildly embarrassing...) And she said I could just put it straight in the wheelie bin in her garden. I did, but I was thinking surely her and hey mum don't do this every time...

Xxx

We don't have a bathroom bin, I just use the downstairs bin at my house!
Reply 10

Yes, but if they have some kind of bin bag in it, then they just tie the whole thing up, then put it in the black bin. Like we do, so we don't sort through it. Plus a bin is useful for stuff like empty toothpathe tubes and toilet roll tubes.
Reply 11
Original post by Samus2
We don't have a bathroom bin, I just use the downstairs bin at my house!

I have friends who use their respective bedroom bins, I just thought going outside every time was a bit extreme lol. I mean, what if it's raining?

Xxx

had this problem so many times!!

Normally I wrap them up and put them in my bag and wait until I can get to a bin.

Once, i h=took it out, THEN realised there was no bin and my friend was waiting outside the door, and I couldnt put it down the loo, so I just wrapped it up and asked where could I put it :tongue: kinda embarrassing lol but i didnt have pockets or a bag :s-smilie:
I used to have this problem, then the mooncup solved everything! No need to bin anything, no need to buy tampons/pads every month, and don't have to change as often. You also don't get that "dirty" feeling like you do with pads. I know you weren't asked for alternative protection but all the advice I would have given has been said, and the MC really is a great investment!
You can buy small bags from boots

(they are a bit like dog poop bags)

They can be tied (handles) and have a bit of a scent

I carry some with my tampax for time such as this
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I used to have this problem, then the mooncup solved everything! No need to bin anything, no need to buy tampons/pads every month, and don't have to change as often. You also don't get that "dirty" feeling like you do with pads. I know you weren't asked for alternative protection but all the advice I would have given has been said, and the MC really is a great investment!

Unless you are in a cubicle with no sink

Then they are a nightmare
Original post by TenOfThem
Unless you are in a cubicle with no sink

Then they are a nightmare

Fair point, I've never been in that situation as our uni toilets have separate cubicles with a toilet, sink and hand dryer. And it would be very rare for me to be out of the house for eight hours without having access to somewhere suitable.
Reply 17
Original post by megan.c
Had this problem when I last went to my boyfriends :/ had to ask him, but he didn't have a clue what his mum does or anything.

Why would he? :s-smilie: Such things are never seen heard or mentioned. I assume there is a secret vaporizing machine hidden somewhere in the house.
Reply 18
Original post by Podcaster
Why would he? :s-smilie: Such things are never seen heard or mentioned. I assume there is a secret vaporizing machine hidden somewhere in the house.

Well I couldn't really ask his mum! I don't really know her very well so he was the most logical person to ask really :s-smilie:
Um...I'm not being funny but just flush it? I have always flushed tampons and never had a problem. In fact I didn't even know people didn't until I read this?! Lol.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending