The Student Room Group

Too late to withdraw or defer my Uni application?

Is it too late to do so? I've applied for September 06, and have changed my mind about going. I would like to take a gap year/defer entry as well as change the course that I've applied to!

If I do withdraw/defer my application, would I be unable to apply to that particular institution in future? Or, would it put me at a disadvantage? The University I'm talking about is Newcastle, if that helps. Like I said, I'd like to go there but I don't want to rush into something that I'm very unsure about.
Reply 1
well you can contact them and get deffered till next year, they shouldnt have a problem with it but it's best to ask them :biggrin:
Reply 2
I thought with it being less than a month until I'm supposed to be going, they might be annoyed... Or refuse to let me defer entry. I want to secure a place at Newcastle you see, as it's the only remotely decent Uni around here that offers the subject I want to do.

Anyway, thanks.
Reply 3
If you decide to ring them and ask them to defer, you could always lie to them and say there are personal reasons... for example finance or something to do with a family member, it's never a good thing to lie but if you want to go that bad it might be something to consider. just depends wether you would feel comfortable doing that or not! otherwise they might be less inclined to accept you next time round
Reply 4
Yeah, I was thinking about telling them I want to work for a year, get some work experience, and save money to pay for my degree... but wouldn't they just think 'why doesn't she get a loan like everyone else'?

After all, that is half truthful... I won't be getting any financial help from my parents, and I won't be considered for reduced fees due to my parents' income.
Reply 5
you could try! just think of a few crafty ways to exaggerate it a bit! let us know how it goes!
Reply 6
If worse comes to worse you can just drop-out* and then re-apply next year. If they accepted you once there's no reason why they wouldn't do it again.

*If it's too late to defer entry and you've already been officially entered as a student
Reply 7
^^ That's what I'm wondering; am I obliged to go there now? I think I will call tomorrow. I don't want to go, have to pay for the first term, and then drop-out... and make myself look like a timewaster. I'd rather just withdraw my application altogether.

Perhaps you're right, I don't see why they should discriminate against me if I meet all the requirements for the course... But I don't know; I don't want them to see me as a waster, and then pretend that I didn't get an offer for other reasons!
Reply 8
zeebiatch
^^ That's what I'm wondering; am I obliged to go there now? I think I will call tomorrow. I don't want to go, have to pay for the first term, and then drop-out... and make myself look like a timewaster. I'd rather just withdraw my application altogether.

Perhaps you're right, I don't see why they should discriminate against me if I meet all the requirements for the course... But I don't know; I don't want them to see me as a waster, and then pretend that I didn't get an offer for other reasons!

I'm sure they'll understand. It probably happens quite a lot.
They won't have a problem with letting you defer if they've accepted you for this year. After all - they haven't even started considering applications for next year, so it's not as if they won't have a place for you. When it comes down to it, the University wants you to do as well as possible in your degree and get top results (as this reflects well on the institution), so if you feel that a gap year will give you perspective and ultimately make you a "better" student, they're not likely to want to stop you!
You will be given deferred entry with no problems - they can't exactly "count" on you being there in September anyway (what if you don't make the grades), so they won't be annoyed :smile: And I think they might just have a spare place for 2007 for you, because they want you!

Latest